Sloppy Steering (again) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done a search and read a number of previous posts about sloppy steering. I'm not sure I fit into the same pigeonhole as others. At a standstill, the steering wheel has maybe 30 degrees of free play on either side of center. At low speeds, there's not much wander. At highway speeds, say 60 MPH, I must keep both hands on the wheel, and even then, I'm all over the road. It seems logical the steering box is the culprit since there's so much free play at a standstill. However, that may or may not cause the wander. Will a center arm rebuild help with the wander? Would replacing worn tie rod ends do the same? Any advice appreciated.

Have someone rock to steering wheel back and forth while you look at the components, you should be able to see where the slop is coming from..
Problem is, with all those pivot points, any movement will be multiplied with each worn part. Also, if your spring bushings are worn, that could cause wandering. Shackle reversal will also help but is pricey. With your shackles in the front it's kinda like pushing a rope, vs pulling it..

manual or PS ?

My manual box had a lot of play, maybe 6" [a guess] at a standstill . I adjusted my gear box [ adjustment bolt on the side facing motor inside of heat shield] ,replaced "ragjoint" /"coupler",tightened draglink end at the pitman arm, and tightened center arm.[bolt on top of] I can't tell you how nice my stock steering is now . I still have a little bump steer , but it feels very controlable/predictable. I'm a rookie,:) so any corrections to, or additional details welcome. But this worked for me , and of cource, you can only adjust so much from each before they have to be rebuilt , but its worth trying. ;)

Last edited:
To eliminate the steering box: Have someone turn the steering wheel while you try to hold the pitman arm still. If the wheel moves but the pitman arm does not then the box is the culprit. If the truck has never had the tie rods replaced or center arm rebuilt then start there. I have a write up on my web site about rebuilding all the above stuff including replacing tie rod ends.

Does this truck have a lift of any kind?

To eliminate the steering box: Have someone turn the steering wheel while you try to hold the pitman arm still. If the wheel moves but the pitman arm does not then the box is the culprit. If the truck has never had the tie rods replaced or center arm rebuilt then start there. I have a write up on my web site about rebuilding all the above stuff including replacing tie rod ends.

Does this truck have a lift of any kind?

Coolerman: Your site rocks!!! I already had it bookmarked. :beer: No, no lift that I know of. I'll get my wife to turn the wheel while I grab the pitman arm. Thanks to all who responded. :cheers:

Steering on mine is loose too. I will add this onto my list of little projects.

Also don't forget to inspect the integrity of the rag-joint. There are lot of moving parts on this steering system. I pretty much went in replaced what needed attention which at the end it was pretty much most of it. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom