sloppy squirrely steering in fj40 with power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
on a 1974 fj40 with power steering, the steering seems very (hyper) sensative and rather squirrelly. a little steering movement makes a lot of movement on the road - so lots of over correcting and paying attention as you could quickly veer to the side if not paying attention or going around a pot hole with a sudden move. is there a way to adjust this out? I read you can adjust a bolt maybe and tigthen it up or take some play out so it is not so squirrelly?

could this also mean the steering stabalizer needs replacment?

Have there been any suspension or mods done to effect the caster angle (longer shackles maybe)? Caster out of adjustment can cause some pretty squirrely driving on the road and inadvertent lane changes if bad enough. If it is out, it can be adjusted with wedges between the spring pack and the spring perch on the axle.

what is your turn ratio lock to lock? i rode in one it was 3 turns and it turned rather fast, to fast, a little scary

yep, shackles were added - 4". do not know what caster angle is, but shackles for sure.

the guy said the steering stabzlizer needs replacing becuase of this... but I am not sure the one is related ot the other? that is, squirrelly related to a bad steering stabalizer and does that even effect steering as I understood it takes the shock out when you hit a hole or something so that the wheel does not go flying out of your hands. so, I wonder if he is wrong?

camcruiser13 said:
what is your turn ratio lock to lock? i rode in one it was 3 turns and it turned rather fast, to fast, a little scary

how do I test for this? put wheels all the way to one side then turn until they stop on the other?

Yep I'd say you're right. It only dampens shocks as you said. I did the extended shackles a long time ago and had that same thing. Easy fix though. Go to any parts shop and pick up some of those wedges for cheap (or try CCOT). Loosen up the Ubolts and slide them in place. It will basically fix it but you should go to an alignment rack and use the exact sized wedge/shim to be perfect within specs.

will an alignment place have the wedges I need as well as being able to take this slop out? I would like to save $ and do it myself, but do not know the parts on CCOT to get.

wantatlc said:
on a 1974 fj40 with power steering, the steering seems very (hyper) sensative and rather squirrelly. a little steering movement makes a lot of movement on the road - so lots of over correcting and paying attention as you could quickly veer to the side if not paying attention or going around a pot hole with a sudden move. is there a way to adjust this out? I read you can adjust a bolt maybe and tigthen it up or take some play out so it is not so squirrelly?

?

If it is a front mounted Saginaw, either get a 4 turn box or try a shorter Pitman arm.

Before you decide to take it to a shop; find out what the steering ratio is first. Your system might not need any adjustment just a wider ratio steering box.

wantatlc said:
will an alignment place have the wedges I need as well as being able to take this slop out? I would like to save $ and do it myself, but do not know the parts on CCOT to get.

You might be able to get the wedges at a local spring/truck lift shop. I got mine on SOR for $20.00.

SOR (almost to the bottom of the page)
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat287.tam?xax=19084&page.ctx=cat287.tam

CCOT
http://store.yahoo.com/coolfj40/shimsspring.html

Get the degree based on your shackle lift.

wantatlc said:
the steering seems very (hyper) sensative and rather squirrelly. a little steering movement makes a lot of movement on the road -

This sounds like a steering box ratio / Pitman arm length issue.

If it wanders without turning the steering wheel, this is a caster issue that can be corrected with shims.

Hi All:

My FJ40 has a 4 turn Saginaw PS gearbox, 2 inch lift springs, and 33X12.5 inch tires. It tracks fine on smooth surfaces, but wanders a bit on rougher pavement. I have assumed this is a result of the wider tires following ruts. etc.

I can't imagine having caster issues with stock-length shackles up front and a 2 inch lift spring!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
I can't imagine having caster issues with stock-length shackles up front and a 2 inch lift spring!

It doesn't take much, but it's prolly bumpsteer. Any angle on the draglink from pitman arm to steering arm will cause it. Even though it would be minor with a 2 inch lift.

Good luck.

VTFJ40 said:
It doesn't take much, but it's prolly bumpsteer. Any angle on the draglink from pitman arm to steering arm will cause it. Even though it would be minor with a 2 inch lift.

Good luck.

I'd say that your steering arm geometry will not effect your caster, but yes you will have bumpsteer. Bumpsteer doesn't necessarily mean wandering or following ruts or not self centering though. And that with a 2 in lift and stock shackles it shouldn't effect caster much either, BUT that's the way mine is set up (stock shackles, 2 in springs) and by looking at it and caster seems a little off, and I am having the same slight wandering (not self centering) issues on a small scale. You might be right that it doesn't take much and that setup could cause caster issues to some degree. Definitely the bigger difference you make on the caster angle the worse it gets and 4" shackles make it pretty bad.

Hi All:

The "wander" issue on rutted or uneven pavement existed before the Saginaw P/S swap, hence my feeling it is the wide tires.

I've been planning to swap-on a set on narrow-width tires for a test drive to, well, test the theory! ( ;) ) but I don't know anyone with a Land Cruiser who still runs stock tires!

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

It doesn't hurt to experiment with caster angles a little to overcome a specific problem. If you can make your own shims or find a cheap source of them going as high as four or five degrees caster will help overcome some of the mods and big tires.

I think that all of Spectre and CCOT shims are aluminum. They'll work for a while but can crack or thin out in time.

Be sure to use a longer centerbolt in springs with thicker than normal shims or you'll just spit out the shims and have dangerously loose u bolts.

Steering faults can make things happen fast on the roads. Don't take chances with this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom