Sloppy box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1972 Fj40 has a sloppy steering box.
Any suggestions/comments on a reasonably priced rebuild would be appreciated…

DB7558E1-FDB5-45ED-9032-0171F93E388F.jpeg

8203ACA6-0CD9-41EE-88C7-A0132CD1260F.jpeg

How did you diagnose it to be the steering box? There are many joints in the steering system that can make it feel sloppy.

How did you diagnose it to be the steering box? There are many joints in the steering system that can make it feel sloppy.
That’s a fair question.
I replaced all the tie rod ends, then had it aligned at a shop.
The tech noted the box had excessive play.
Could this be the culprit?

4A5DBED5-BB08-40DD-B156-2035DAB7CD9B.jpeg

That’s another easy and cheap next step. Drag link end at the same time. @cruiseroutfit sells kits for both.

Is the steering box leaking? If not, you could also try tightening it before a full rebuild. May not completely resolve the sloppiness, but again, it’s easy and free (minus your time).

I think @orangefj45 still sells rebuilt steering boxes if it comes to that.

Your steering box and main column shaft are one unit, just so you know.

I have diagnosed the box by disconnecting the link to the the center arm and then compare movement of the steering wheel to the pitman arm. Most will have some movement, after all it's 50 years old. How much play is acceptable is probably listed in the factory service manual. FSM copies can be found here on Mud, I don't have a link handy. I'm sure someone else might.

Your steering box and main column shaft are one unit, just so you know.

I have diagnosed the box by disconnecting the link to the the center arm and then compare movement of the steering wheel to the pitman arm. Most will have some movement, after all it's 50 years old. How much play is acceptable is probably listed in the factory service manual. FSM copies can be found here on Mud, I don't have a link handy. I'm sure someone else might.
👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom