1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slop in rod ends - too much?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Moby, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Moby

Moby

So after my axle rebuild which included swapping the axle housing itself after I found my existing housing was bent I decided that an alignment was in order. Just got back from the Toyota dealership (they're actually the closest alignment shop to me) where they said they can't do an alignment because there's too much play in the rod ends. I can see their point - there is some play in the ends. This is particularly frustrating seeing as I replace the rod ends less than 10,000 miles ago with "555" brand ends (which I was skeptical of at the time but used against my better judgement).

I'm leaving on a long road trip next Thursday and I'm debating if I should do the ends again before I leave (assuming CDan has the ends in stock). Thanks to the axle/knuckle rebuild I just did the steering is actually tighter than it's ever been. The truck doesn't wander, pull or follow ruts like it used to. Just looking for opinions...

2. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

You can adjust some of the slop out of the relay rod ends. You can put a shim at the bottom of the spring to tighten it up. I haven't heard that there is anything to do about loose tie rod ends, except replace them.

3. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

Like 2mbb says - is the play in the relay rod ends or the tie rod ends? The former can be adjusted, the latter need to be replaced.

Did the dealer say how much play there was?

4. BGarcia88FJ62

BGarcia88FJ62

Just curious if you may need a new set of OEM relay rod's you can have both for $70.00 Shipped. PM me if your interested.

5. Moby

Moby

Thanks for the offer! I saw this too late though, I already bit the bullet and ordered a full new set from CDan. Painful $$ right now but I'm sure I'll be happier on the trip. I figured it was kind of a waste to spend the time and money getting rid of the slop in the knuckles only to leave the slop in the rod ends...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">