Sloopy Hang On - Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Threads
I finally figured out a name for the 100 series. Now I can start a build thread -- 18 months later.

Purchased January 2020. "Hang on Sloopy" you're in for some changes.

1632229539649.png

July 2021 - 18 months later.

1632229684889.png

1632229766636.png

Build details for follow.

Reserved

Reserved

I finally figured out a name for the 100 series. Now I can start a build thread -- 18 months later.

Purchased January 2020. "Hang on Sloopy" you're in for some changes.

View attachment 2792425

July 2021 - 18 months later.

View attachment 2792428

View attachment 2792438

Build details for follow.

Well.....I can actually remember when that song came out (1965) by the 'McCoys'. I was about 11 years old. :)

Your build is coming along nicely. May 'Sloopy' provide you many years of good service and adventure. 👍

Thank you all.

Just looking back at my picture files sorted by date.

It turns out the first mod, which really wasn't a mod, was to get Techstream running so I could turn off the auto-away tile and telescopic wheel feature. I got TIS running early on and turned off the feature as I replaced the tilt motors.

Everything about the build has been smooth sailing. Kind of uneventful considering everything that went on with it last year.

It just took a while to find one of those double entendre names to fit the personality of this particular 100 series. ;)

1632229391334.png

Seems to be a readily available color last year🤗

Well.....I can actually remember when that song came out (1965) by the 'McCoys'. I was about 11 years old. :)

Your build is coming along nicely. May 'Sloopy' provide you many years of good service and adventure. 👍

And now I have that song stuck in my head. Looking forward to this, one of my favorite LX's on here.

Being from the Buckeye state I love the build name. I’m sort of in the same boat, started out thinking I’m just doing some overdue maintenance and then the dreams started… lol

Being from the Buckeye state I love the build name. I’m sort of in the same boat, started out thinking I’m just doing some overdue maintenance and then the dreams started… lol
That's right.

Ohio's State Rock Song - Hang On Sloopy​

The Ohio State University Marching Band performing "Script Ohio" at Ohio Stadium in the 1960s. A staple of the marching band's repertoire is the Ohio's official state rock song, "Hang on Sloopy" first played on October 9, 1965 at the Ohio State vs. Illinois football game.
In 1985, the Ohio General Assembly approved "Hang on Sloopy" as Ohio's official rock song. The Ohio General Assembly adopted an official rock song after Joe Dirck, a columnist for the Columbus Citizen-Journal, wrote a column about the State of Washington considering the adoption of its own rock song. The Ohio General Assembly responded by making "Hang on Sloopy" Ohio's rock song. Ohio is the only state to have an official rock song.

Bert Berns and Wes Farrell co-wrote the song, and "Hang on Sloopy" became a major hit for the band The McCoys in 1965. The McCoys were originally from Union City, Indiana, although Randy and Rick Zehringer (later called Derringer) were from Fort Recovery, Ohio. The song was about Dorothy Sloop of Steubenville, Ohio. A singer, Sloop sometimes used the stage name Sloopy.

The resolution establishing "Hang on Sloopy" as Ohio's rock song had a number of references to the song's lyrics and to the song's importance to Ohioans. The resolution read:

HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION NO. 16​

WHEREAS, The members of the 116th General Assembly of Ohio wish to recognize the rock song "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of the great State of Ohio; and WHEREAS, In 1965, an Ohio-based rock group known as the McCoys reached the top of the national record charts with "Hang On Sloopy," composed by Bert Russell and Wes Farrell, and that same year, John Tagenhorst, then an arranger for the Ohio State University Marching Band, created the band's now-famous arrangement of "Sloopy," first performed at the Ohio State-Illinois football game on October 9, 1965; and WHEREAS, Rock music has become an integral part of American culture, having attained a degree of acceptance no one would have thought possible twenty years ago; and WHEREAS, Adoption of "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of Ohio is in no way intended to supplant "Beautiful Ohio" as the official state song, but would serve as a companion piece to that old chestnut; and WHEREAS, If fans of jazz, country-and-western, classical, Hawaiian and polka music think those styles also should be recognized by the state, then by golly, they can push their own resolution just like we're doing; and WHEREAS, "Hang On Sloopy" is of particular relevance to members of the Baby Boom Generation, who were once dismissed as a bunch of long-haired, crazy kids, but who now are old enough and vote in sufficient numbers to be taken quite seriously;

and WHEREAS, Adoption of this resolution will not take too long, cost the state anything, or affect the quality of life in this state to any appreciable degree, and if we in the legislature just go ahead and pass the darn thing, we can get on with more important stuff; and WHEREAS, Sloopy lives in a very bad part of town, and everybody, yeah, tries to put my Sloopy down; and WHEREAS, Sloopy, I don't care what your daddy do, 'cause you know, Sloopy girl, I'm in love with you; therefore be it Resolved, That we, the members of the 116th General Assembly of Ohio, in adopting this Resolution, name "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of the State of Ohio; and be it further Resolved, That the Legislative Clerk of the House of Representatives transmit duly authenticated copies of this Resolution to the news media of Ohio.

I thought it was a spelling error LoL

That's right.

Ohio's State Rock Song - Hang On Sloopy​

The Ohio State University Marching Band performing "Script Ohio" at Ohio Stadium in the 1960s. A staple of the marching band's repertoire is the Ohio's official state rock song, "Hang on Sloopy" first played on October 9, 1965 at the Ohio State vs. Illinois football game.
In 1985, the Ohio General Assembly approved "Hang on Sloopy" as Ohio's official rock song. The Ohio General Assembly adopted an official rock song after Joe Dirck, a columnist for the Columbus Citizen-Journal, wrote a column about the State of Washington considering the adoption of its own rock song. The Ohio General Assembly responded by making "Hang on Sloopy" Ohio's rock song. Ohio is the only state to have an official rock song.

Bert Berns and Wes Farrell co-wrote the song, and "Hang on Sloopy" became a major hit for the band The McCoys in 1965. The McCoys were originally from Union City, Indiana, although Randy and Rick Zehringer (later called Derringer) were from Fort Recovery, Ohio. The song was about Dorothy Sloop of Steubenville, Ohio. A singer, Sloop sometimes used the stage name Sloopy.

The resolution establishing "Hang on Sloopy" as Ohio's rock song had a number of references to the song's lyrics and to the song's importance to Ohioans. The resolution read:

HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION NO. 16​

WHEREAS, The members of the 116th General Assembly of Ohio wish to recognize the rock song "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of the great State of Ohio; and WHEREAS, In 1965, an Ohio-based rock group known as the McCoys reached the top of the national record charts with "Hang On Sloopy," composed by Bert Russell and Wes Farrell, and that same year, John Tagenhorst, then an arranger for the Ohio State University Marching Band, created the band's now-famous arrangement of "Sloopy," first performed at the Ohio State-Illinois football game on October 9, 1965; and WHEREAS, Rock music has become an integral part of American culture, having attained a degree of acceptance no one would have thought possible twenty years ago; and WHEREAS, Adoption of "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of Ohio is in no way intended to supplant "Beautiful Ohio" as the official state song, but would serve as a companion piece to that old chestnut; and WHEREAS, If fans of jazz, country-and-western, classical, Hawaiian and polka music think those styles also should be recognized by the state, then by golly, they can push their own resolution just like we're doing; and WHEREAS, "Hang On Sloopy" is of particular relevance to members of the Baby Boom Generation, who were once dismissed as a bunch of long-haired, crazy kids, but who now are old enough and vote in sufficient numbers to be taken quite seriously;

and WHEREAS, Adoption of this resolution will not take too long, cost the state anything, or affect the quality of life in this state to any appreciable degree, and if we in the legislature just go ahead and pass the darn thing, we can get on with more important stuff; and WHEREAS, Sloopy lives in a very bad part of town, and everybody, yeah, tries to put my Sloopy down; and WHEREAS, Sloopy, I don't care what your daddy do, 'cause you know, Sloopy girl, I'm in love with you; therefore be it Resolved, That we, the members of the 116th General Assembly of Ohio, in adopting this Resolution, name "Hang On Sloopy" as the official rock song of the State of Ohio; and be it further Resolved, That the Legislative Clerk of the House of Representatives transmit duly authenticated copies of this Resolution to the news media of Ohio.

Interesting history.

Not so sure about the guy twirling the baton though. :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom