Slipping out of OverDrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1992 HDJ81 4.2L Turbo Diesel with an automatic transmission.

When I'm going down the road in OverDrive at 100km the tach increases and it seems to be slipping out of overdrive. I will down shift and no problems. It doesn't always happen which is strange.

I drove it for over an hour and no issues. Then I turned around to come back home after some wings and beer. Then it did it again. I gave up talking to repair shops in my area because the think im driving a UFO since its a diesel land cruiser and they don't want to even look at it.

I have seen some posts about OD solenoids but i don't know anything about automatic transmission besides its easier to drink beer and wheel.

Any ideas?

First thing is to figure out WTF transmission you have.

My head hurts now, and I still don't know whether or not your transmission has solenoids. If it were electronic(ish) like my US-market A442F, I would wonder what triggers it to drop out of overdrive or lockup, which would make me suspect a bad O/D or brake switch.

First thing is to figure out WTF transmission you have.

My head hurts now, and I still don't know whether or not your transmission has solenoids. If it were electronic(ish) like my US-market A442F, I would wonder what triggers it to drop out of overdrive or lockup, which would make me suspect a bad O/D or brake switch.

The diesel JDM land cruiser has a full hydro transmission. No solenoids.

I bet it's not coming out of over drive. But instead the converter is unlocking.

This can be caused my a few issues. Mine just coat me $6000+

I bet it's not coming out of over drive. But instead the converter is unlocking.

^^^^

This.

WTH 6K and what transmission is yours running

WTH 6K and what transmission is yours running
Full hydro a442f in all JDM diesel 80 series.

Rebuilds with labor are 5-7k.

IMG_20211215_121338.jpg

Wow, I guess it pays to figure things out :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: sorry you got violated

I don't feel Violated. s*** happens. Everyone I've talked to that's had one of these rebuilt told me to expect 5-7k. I landed right in the middle with a 36k warranty and I didn't have to spend 2 days on my back pulling it.

I can work a few overtime weekends and make it back easy.

The firewall
View attachment 2872245

But it's a 1992, so it's a 1hdt. Which means it's a hydraulic a442f. Same trans as mine.
Yep ours were built in the same plant. Sweet. I am having trouble just trying to find someone to flush it let alone rebuild one. I am going to keep looking. Thanks for your help. I wonder if I should have it completely gone through? I probably will. Look for an updated valve body etc

Yep ours were built in the same plant. Sweet. I am having trouble just trying to find someone to flush it let alone rebuild one. I am going to keep looking. Thanks for your help. I wonder if I should have it completely gone through? I probably will. Look for an updated valve body etc
Check with @cjmoon . He does all Land Cruiser stuff locally. I would trust him with mine and he's a diesel guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom