slipping out of gear - 4WD high (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42880&highlight=mars

Detent springs I tell ya.... I had the same symptoms. Slipping from 4H to 2H, but mine would grind into 2L from 4L as well. Easy fix, Its the first thing that I would fix, just slap some washers under the spring and see if that does the trick. If not, start working the shift boots IMHO.

:cheers: :cheers:

Awesome. I'll take a look at the spring tonight. Thanks guys.

Time to revisit this post. After using the search function and finding this thread I successfully fixed my 4WD high slip problem by installing a couple washers behind the spring. No sweat, problem solved, right?

Wrong. Most of my 4WD needs around here are for snow, so I never need 4WD low. On a recent trip to Moab I decided to test the old girl on Elephant Hill. A couple of times on the way up I could hear the t-case grind (in 4 lo) on steep sections. Everything seemed fine until the second steep stair-step section just below the final switchback to the top. Just when the rear end was about to hit the incline my hitch bottomed and my rear wheels lost traction, accompanied by a nice grinding noise from the T/C. I tried again and no go--no juice from the front wheels. Afterwords I realized that I could have put it in 4hi and been just fine, but I was thinking more about the T/C than the summit.

I've looked at the motor mounts and they seem fine, and I plan to check the shift lever/shift bracket and boot next. Any other suggestions before I dig in?

Just a little teaser pic.
moab2005.JPG

I don't understand why it would grind, except for a moment or two before it popped out. I still think you are going to have to measure the fork to clutch slide clearence. If it's greater than 1.0mm (From memory-might be wrong) then replace the fork or the clutch.

Are you sure the t-case was grinding? A bad motor mount on the driver side will allow the fan to shift up into the shroud and it makes a grinding/buzzing noise when it hits. The two I have seen go bad were on uphill high torque trails. It can be temporarily "fixed" with a short piece of chain wrapped arround the motor mount and frame mount then tightened with a bolt through the chain.

Be certain it isn't the motor mount before you tear into the t-case!

Transfer Case

My '87 60 had both the 4HI "silent slip-out" and the 4LO "grinding partial slip out" syndromes when I first got it and tried to wheel it. A highly experienced L/C mechanic(who has been known to take cheapo shortcuts at times) said "cut the boot" meaning the lower T/C lever boot. He said the boot gets stiff with age or from not being used(both applied to my truck). After ascertaining that used (unfortunately not new) boots were available, I did as instructed. In my case, it worked. No problems after many miles in 4HI and 4LO. Others have suggested that the T/C shift linkage/springs on top of the T/C need to be adjusted/modified; for all I know, doing that could have fixed it as well. Just reporting what worked for me. HTH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom