Slip Yoke Zerk Fitting - Threaded? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was lubing my DS's last night and everything took grease fine except for the front DS slip yoke. Even tried my needle-style grease gun tip without success. I'm going to remove the zerk tonight to see what's going on. It looks like it may be the threaded-style zerk and not pressed-in but I can't be for certain.

Can anyone verify?

Thanks,

Mark

They are threaded. I believe it's either a 6mm or 7mm socket to remove them.

Good deal. Thanks.

Was lubing my DS's last night and everything took grease fine except for the front DS slip yoke. Even tried my needle-style grease gun tip without success.
Over the years the inside of the slip yoke will accumulate lots of grease. After having the same problem you have, I've resigned myself to pulling both slip yokes out each time when greasing up. The first time you do this you'll see a great amount of accumulation which is preventing free movement of the slip yoke.

Once cleaned, apply a generous amount of grease to the splines and re-assemble.

Be sure to mark them before dis-assembly so they're assembled in the correct spot.

I may have to do this sometime. Do you recall the torque number for the u-joint nuts?

**EDIT: Disregard. FSM says 54 lbs-ft.

Thanks.

If left ungreased, the grease can dry and crud up the fuzzy edged seal making it difficult to get grease past it. Disassembing the shaft to clean the seal works and then simply keep fresh grease seeping past the seal with regular greasing. Mind overgreasing the spline shafts and hydrolocking them = expensive damage to the transfer case on the first bump you hit after greasing. Might be the bump as you leave your own driveway (crack!).

DougM

Thanks for the reply, Doug. Are you referring to seal in the red circle? I always thought if you pumped in enough grease to see it ooze out of here, you had gone too far. Perhaps not.

Thanks.

**THIS IS NOT MY DRIVE SHAFT!!!**
shaft.jpg

Did you get the zerk off? I pump grease until the slip yolk just starts to move then no more.

Yes, I did. Looks like it is a smaller diameter zerk than what my grease gun is designed for. It takes grease fine but not a full pump each time. About half of the grease goes in the zerk and half goes around the outside of it. Got under the truck and compared it to the u-joint zerk. It does indeed look a little bit smaller in diameter. :hmm:

You could remove the zerk and soak it in penetrating oil; could be the zerk, could be the nozzle. Sometimes I just press harder to get a good seal between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom