Slip Covers for Tailgate Chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any suggestions on some plastic or nylon tubing to go over the chains that are attached to the tailgate of an FJ45? I was just thinking about it the other day and hit a couple of hardware stores and ranch & feed stores and didn't see anything that would work, except maybe some clear plastic tubing.

I would, but I would feel horribly guilty about selling it to you without some slip covers on the chains...I just couldn't live with myself.

Go to your nearest Rock climbing gym ask for about 6 feet of webbing. Probably about a buck a foot or so.. Can also be used for winch rope abrasion covers. Can probably get darn near any color ya want..

6 ft webbing at rock climbing gym, Roger that. I'll check the local store one the way home.

Bike inner tube or hose for the el cheapo fix!
-
I ended using a bungee cord to hold 'em together on the trail cause they get a little loud!

If you know any firemen, see if they have any old hose that is being thrown out. If so, the right size line could be cut and used for this purpose.

cruise4070 said:
Bike inner tube or hose for the el cheapo fix!

Been doing that for years.

I didn't make it to the climbing store last night. However, the bike tube suggestion sounds pretty good. And I know I have an old tube sitting around that I can cut up to use. Thanks guys. Hopefully the bike tubes quite things a bit.

the bike tube works great. BUT make sure to take a punch and make some holes in it where the lowest point of the loop is when the tailgate is up. I have some really rusted out chain on my FJ45lwb b/c the PO never did this and they inner tubes were full of rust/water(along with some unidentifiable moving insect? life) from years of rain.

Somewhere I saw a sales brochure picture of an LWB with (apparently) OEM covers on the chains. Anyone know what they were made of or have reminents?

The pictures that Junk sent me of his new 77 FJ45 has some black slip covers on the tailgate chains. Seeing them got me wondering what was available (if anything) from the factory.

I Wrapped Mine In Duct Tape Then Slid Through A Tight Innertube. Looks Ok And No Noise. However I Replaced With Cables Later For A Cleaner Look.

Another fellow in my town with a 45 LPB is using these: Part No. 11-106 from http://www.chevyduty.com/frame-store.html They look pretty nice, they even have little drain holes. I've been meaning to get some, the bare chains aren't so friendly to the paint in my bed.

Maybe this is a dumb question (yes, there IS such a thing as a dumb question) but, how do you get the chevy-rubber, or any other sheath, over the hook on the end of the chain? Does that stuff stretch that much?

Just unscrew the other end from the bed and slide it over, use a llittle silicone if needed.

KY jelly works.

Lusedekache said:
Just unscrew the other end from the bed and slide it over, use a llittle silicone if needed.

Doh! I knew it was a dumb question. I'm ordering some of those Cheby rubbers today. Now that I have the top off (and new window felt) I notice the tail gate chain rattle a lot more.

So Dave, the Chevy rubbers are not lubricated? What about spermicide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom