Slinky Long Travel Suspension Systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the diff compresses, the unequal arms rotate the diff as it goes up, that rotation sees the shock mount be turned down as it rotates and the different length upper and lower arms make the housing rotate.

because the housing is round, it stays in the same location as it rotates, but the shock mount is offset to the circle of the housing, so the rotation means the shock length can be longer than than the distance to the bump stop.

Hope that helps.

As the diff compresses, the unequal arms rotate the diff as it goes up, that rotation sees the shock mount be turned down as it rotates and the different length upper and lower arms make the housing rotate.

because the housing is round, it stays in the same location as it rotates, but the shock mount is offset to the circle of the housing, so the rotation means the shock length can be longer than than the distance to the bump stop.

Hope that helps.

That is exactly the explanation I needed. I learned something. Thanks for taking the time to explain the details.

OK good, was hoping trying to explain it without a diagram was making sense.

Glad it helped.

Hey guys,

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread. First of all, I have been running a 75mm intermediate stage 1 setup for awhile now and love it. However, at cruise Moab this year I spoke with box rocket and then Darren as with the swing out tire carrier, armor etc...my truck was a tad low and I want to start carrying more people and gear. The recommendation was to go to heavies front and back so I saved up and ordered and got my springs this week (boats are really really slow). First, the fronts I got were the same as the ones I already have, meaning same part number (ac7498). Kevin let me know that there are only intermideates for the 75mm fronts which I did not realize so I’ll send those back and just tick with what I have, no worries. For the rear, the first thing I noticed is the heavies are heavy (ac7501 vs ac7511). The height of the spring wasn’t different, but the diameter of each coil was about half a mm wider. Anyway I put them in the way the others came out “LH” on the drivers side. Good news is I gained some height as I wanted. Bad news is that the passenger side is about 1.5” higher than driver, dooh. Did I put these guys on backwards and just got lucky with my first set or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks guys...

E71E31A9-8705-4EC9-950E-9DCDA7F211C9.jpeg

0808EE32-7FDF-4ECA-9080-B5F6780FAD6D.jpeg

When I put mine in, I think i put the slightly taller of the two springs on the drivers side. I don't recall if the label was LH vs RH...but since the Drivers side is on the RH side of the truck in Australia and the US the drivers side is on the LH side, I figured I would just put the taller spring on the drivers side.
Hey guys,

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread. First of all, I have been running a 75mm intermediate stage 1 setup for awhile now and love it. However, at cruise Moab this year I spoke with box rocket and then Darren as with the swing out tire carrier, armor etc...my truck was a tad low and I want to start carrying more people and gear. The recommendation was to go to heavies front and back so I saved up and ordered and got my springs this week (boats are really really slow). First, the fronts I got were the same as the ones I already have, meaning same part number (ac7498). Kevin let me know that there are only intermideates for the 75mm fronts which I did not realize so I’ll send those back and just tick with what I have, no worries. For the rear, the first thing I noticed is the heavies are heavy (ac7501 vs ac7511). The height of the spring wasn’t different, but the diameter of each coil was about half a mm wider. Anyway I put them in the way the others came out “LH” on the drivers side. Good news is I gained some height as I wanted. Bad news is that the passenger side is about 1.5” higher than driver, dooh. Did I put these guys on backwards and just got lucky with my first set or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks guys...

View attachment 1794835

View attachment 1794837

Interesting fact, the spring on the right is taller and marked "LH" but should not be installed on the US Driver side. I swapped it to the passenger side and now we are all good, or at least close enough. The shorter spring has heavier coils?

What about front "Heavies" are those a real thing?

IMG_20180922_100151.jpg

AC7498 is the HD, and should be around 810-820mm from bottom edge of rim at tyre bead to fender lip.

50mm front slinky is AC5300

There is no intermediate front, as the rate with the weight for the front isnt an issue like the rear.

I have a set of 50mm fronts and my passenger side coil did this from day 1. Does not seem to be affecting anything, but when you hit a bump it twangs and then clunks as it collapses back on itself. I am guessing this is not normal? I've tried unloading the coil and making sure it is seated correctly, but as soon as it is loaded back up it does this.

slinky.jpg

slinky2.jpg

slinky3.jpg

There seems to be something going on with your coil bucket there, because the coil looks to be contacting the side of the bucket as well in the last pic ?

Hard to tell without a full side on pic, but your coil tower looks bent up.

Interesting. The coil is likely touching the bucket as it is "collapsed" on itself. I will pull the wheel and take a better pic. Where exactly does it appear to be bent? Did not have an issue with the factory coils either touching the sides, or collapsing on themselves.

The slinky coil is designed to have dead coils at ride height, unlike the factory version.

Sorry, not the simple collapse part. That I understand. But with it folding in on itself instead of folding in on itself at the arrow.

slinky.jpg

Can we see a pic of the other side as well ?

See if we can help you sort this.

Yeah, pending how much snow we get tonight I will try and get some pics tomorrow of the other side.

Supposed to be nice this weekend. I'll throw it up on stands and remove the wheels for better pics. But a quick glance at both sides show the same "bends" in the same places.

be interesting to swap coils side to side and see if it transfers or same side does same thing.

So what’s the status with these kits? If I ordered up a stage 4 today, how long would it be before I’d have it in my hands to install? I’m very interested in this kit, but need something sooner than later. I can stave things off a bit in the meantime if I know a good Kit is on the way though.

So what’s the status with these kits? If I ordered up a stage 4 today, how long would it be before I’d have it in my hands to install? I’m very interested in this kit, but need something sooner than later. I can stave things off a bit in the meantime if I know a good Kit is on the way though.
I know Darren and Kevin are both on the road today on their way to Utah (SW Adventure 2019 starts tomorrow) so its unlikely they'll respond here, but I sent a text to Kevin this morning with your question and I'm happy to share his response when I get it. Assuming he has the kit in stock, I know he's away from the shop for SWAdv and Cruise Moab for the next week so that could be a factor in getting it out the door.

You'll love the Stage4 kit! Been the best mod I've made to my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom