Slight stumble off idle, what's going on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, I got the wires out and the wire on 6 is past spec for resistance. My real problem is I took the number six plug out and 1/2 the ceramic around the electrode is missing!!!!!

Is my engine fubared? I can't see it down the spark plug hole at all.

I am assuming it was run inside that cylinder and is powder and scratches in the wall.

Should I just throw a new plug in there and hope it lasts another few K or should i do something else?

Just reading through this thead and wanted to know what you did, and how it worked out for you.

Just reading through this thead and wanted to know what you did, and how it worked out for you.

x2

And just for others the issue sounds similar to what I experienced on my '99 Durango. BAD shake/rough running like one cylinder decided to take a vacation. Turned out to be a shorted out injector wire on one cylinder. I'm generally mechanically challenged but I assume this could be a possibility on the 1FZ. I believe the code I got was very similar as well (wording wise).

My '97 LC has been having a tough time at it lately as well.

I know that I'll be replacing my original 02 sensors (120k mi) shortly, but I'm thinking there's something else afoot.

I've read thru all the threads that come up with the "shudder" keyword, and I have to say there's a fair number of different things that have been attributed to this behavior.

In short, mine twice over 3+ months. When driving down the highway and accellerating in OD above 3k rpm, she began the shuddering slowly and then got violent unless i pulled my foot off the gas pedal and creeped home. The next day, when I put it in reverse, I felt a little shudder, but nothing noticeable today.

Now, if i stick to around 50mph on the highway, it doesn't go into its death throes, but she's really rough.

I'll pull this out to another thread but since I'm going to do some of Doug's advised checks, I'll let ya know what I find.

Cheers.

Too bad the OP left this thread unresolved. :bang:

I know he later lost his headgasket; don't know if this issue was related to that or not.

Oh dude.... blown hg?? That's some bad juju there that's now in my head.

Must find wood to knock head against.

Dude - I think I know what your problem is.

Correct me if I missed something. In neutral it's fine. In gear, when you give it gas, it sputters out and dies (or wants to)? Try putting it in reverse in a safe place, and goose the throttle. If it's fine, you have a chaffed engine wiring harness thing. I'll see if I can find the link - I went through the same thing a few years ago...

EDIT: Here is the thread order...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/4137-sounds-expensive.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/4229-electrical-woes-continued.html

IIRC, the wire that got chaffed runs behind the engine back by the firewall. After I reported my problem, a few more folks came forward over the years with the same issue. There should be more threads on it, but I'm not sure where to even start searching.

Last edited:
Too bad the OP left this thread unresolved. :bang:

I know he later lost his headgasket; don't know if this issue was related to that or not.

:eek:

I fail at teh reading comprehension. I didn't realize this was an old thread.

I just wanted to add something to this thread for anyone with similar problems. I stupidly sprayed down my engine aswell a while I developed a pretty damn strong misfire 2 days before I had a 2000 K trip. I pulled all of the usual suspects and could find nothing. Eventually I pulled all of the plugs as a last ditch effort, and some water had gotten down into the plug cavity from my cleaning of the engine. Caused quite a misfire. Immediately I panicked and checked my oil fill plug, and it had condensation. I changed my oil for the second time in 2 days, and have not had any problems since.

Do not wash your motor unless you have weather proofed it!

Rob

Yep, exact same thing happened to a fellow mudder while playing in some ponds. :)

Dead thread revival!

I almost offered to help the guy since he is (was?) in my area, but wobbie had to point out the thread was two years old...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom