Slight Interior cyclic squealing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Afternoon folks

I’ve searched and searched. Maybe I’ve missed this topic, and please feel free to link if I did.

01 with 198 on it. I’ve got a faint squeaking sound that cycles on and off. It still happens with the AC off. Prevalent on startup. But it cycles through maybe 10 seconds on every 30 seconds or so.
Belts or pulleys attached to alternator or something?
I’ve tried hearing it from the engine bay but it’s harder to hear over the noise. The next step is to check bearings and pulleys and such.
Figured I’d see if anyone had a suggestion. I’ll see if I can get it on video.

HMM....could be the early signs of the abs system kicking the bucket on you. They tend to squeal right at start up in the am (abs pump is priming and when its dying itll make a noise, and the system is technically priming periodically as you drive/apply the brakes). They tend to die right at 200k. But hopefully its something else!

Also could be anything from your water pump going out or a simple belt pulley bearing going out, old belt, etc...

Are you able to post up a video? Does it sound like its coming from right behind your gauge cluster?

Tanner

it’s definitely right behind the cluster/firewall. At least that’s the direction I hear it.

I’m happy just to know what it is or might be and fix it. Let me see if I can get it on video.

Here it is.
So I pushed the brake, put it in reverse, then the sound kicks in. Tried to replicate just again and nada.

still cycling. Just nothing to do with change in gears or brake pushing.

Honestly I cant hear anything on my speakers here in my office haha. I'll try and track down my headphones and listen to it then.

No problem. I appreciate the effort.
It’s towards the second half of the video, actually more like the last 7-8 seconds.

I should have noted that.

you can also isolate the noise by turning the engine off, then putting the key to the II position. wait for the normal beeping to go away, then press the brake pedal a few times and listen for the noise. the abs pump will prime without the engine running. not only will this help you cancel out an engine issue, but you can hear the noise much better.

Hope this helps.

So I did just that.
Definitely the brake system.

I appreciate the help. It’s faint. It’s less than 7 seconds of run time. I know there’s some issues with booster pump and such throughout MuD.
I guess it’s normal and to maybe throw some of the parts into some PM work in the near future? No ABS lights or anything, and it’s been scanned on tech stream. No loss of braking or any funny issues. Just that sound in the background of the pump priming.

Does everyone hear it like that? Seems strange but first LC and you guys know better than I do.
Maybe I’m just listening for things as a preventive measure...

There's a test procedure in the FSM (https://lc100e.github.io/manual/)—IIRC you want it to run for fewer than 30 seconds. 7sec sounds like it's not having any trouble at all.

If you're looking for some PM work to do, flush out all the old fluid (unless you've done that already or have a record of it). 15-17YO fluid is doing no one any favors.

There's a test procedure in the FSM (https://lc100e.github.io/manual/)—IIRC you want it to run for fewer than 30 seconds. 7sec sounds like it's not having any trouble at all.

If you're looking for some PM work to do, flush out all the old fluid (unless you've done that already or have a record of it). 15-17YO fluid is doing no one any favors.
Roger. I pulled the FSM out as soon as I found out and it’s less than 40 seconds, ideally less than 20. So that’s good.

PO had it done about 90k ago. But I’ll definitely get it done now and check everything out.

I appreciate the help folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom