Sliders for the FJ40, Can't decide: mount to frame or sheet metal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Scottsdale, AZ Republic of Texas by Birth
Website
www.pinnaclehomeimprovement.net
Realistically, on a 40 do I need to mount sliders to frame or is the sheet metal mount adequate? I need something for the elder's and infirm to step on a little and some rock/tree protection. I've got to go see Dave soon and his sliders are sheet metal mounts and are verified strong by his use. Opinions and/or suppliers. I keep going back and forth between the two:bang:

frame!

One vote for frame mount.

If you end up with the weight of your vehicle on a rock, I would wonder what it would do for the sheet metal. If being used for a step up only, sheet metal would be sufficient it sounds like.

Sounds like it depends on how youll use that slider.

I am planning on going with frame mounted ones as part of my current rebuild. I keep looking at these and liking them a lot.

Toyota FJ40/BJ40 Rock Sliders

Another frame mount vote. Look at it this way.. "If I need to stuff a highlift under them to get out of a pickle, do I trust the body mounts to hold the tub to the frame?"

Frame mount is the only way to go if you ever want to use them as anything other than a step, and .188" is the thinnest i'd use if you want them to stay round.

I have the 4 Plus body-mount sliders. I like them, I have not had to use them as a Hi-Lift point yet, and also I have not had them hit either (and I have tried). When I got mine I couldn't find anybody that made frame-mount sliders and so I compromised. I added a strip of black grip tape on the top of the outside tube to make using them as a step easier. Ever had your foot slip off a wet tube and hit your shin? Good Times. The 4 Plus ones have a thick angle that mounts to the body and it doesn't seem to flex when I climb on them. Oh and one more caveat and YMMV... My rollcage is bolted to the frame tie-ins that sandwich the body tub, so there's a lot less chance for body flex in that area, which may explain why mine don't seem to flex much.

I like the White Knuckle ones however I would definitely get the heavy-duty version, but I would have them modified to have a rear kicker and not be angled like the ones in the pictures. Plus I would seriously consider welding them to the frame.

My All-Pro sliders have been on my 4Runner for years. They are welded to the frame, the rear kicker works great as a pivot point, and work great as a Hi-Lift jack point.

Both.

Panel protection, angle iron that ties to the frame underneath / behind...that what I did on my 40. Wrap the panel, with step, and have two / three weld on braces to reinforce the body.

This was before the two stancions came from the frame for / aft above the exhaust...let me find pics of that.
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

The body mount sliders look great on a 40 IMO, I personally wouldn't trust them the way I beat my stuff though unless they were tied into the frame. Plus, though we don't get rain or mud too often, between the rocker and angle iron is a great place for sand and water to do its job and create rust and bubbling paint. I will post pics of mine later, and if you want I can replicate them for a fraction of all the suppliers prices out there, also using .188 or .250 wall tubing, cause .120 has no place on a 40 or 60/62 for that matter other than for looks. .120 is just the route places like Trail or "China" Gear take to keep over head down and profit margins up.

OK, my favorite way of doing it is to cut the lower 2 or so inches off the side of the body then do both. I like to use 2x4 tubing or 2X6 put it against the bottom of the body and Tack it to the frame. Then take Flat put it flat against the body and tack it. remove entire assy from the truck and weld. Then bolt it to the body and weld it to the frame. Two advantages of this. Does not hang lower than the body originally was and you can angle the 2x so you have like original step....

I've got some pictures somewhere of the 3" sor bars on my rig, and can post them up if you want...:meh:

Good for pushing loose junk out of the way for the person behind you, or God forbid, getting t-boned...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom