Sliders and exhaust?

Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
776
Location
Farmville, VA
So I put the Slee sliders on right before I went to GSMTR and they worked great. They definitly saved my rig from some serious body damage. Anyway I noticed when I put them on that the exaust where the cats are was hitting the slider bar that would go under the cats to the frame. It hits pretty much all the time except when in park in that spot and makes a loud rattle noise and is annoying as all get out. Not even the music will cover it up. So my question is do I just lift up the exhaust and stuff a piece of heavy duty rubber or something in between to stop it or use something else? Clamps? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks anything is greatly appreciated.

:cheers:
Josh
 

sleeoffroad

Supporting Vendor
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
6,271
 
 
 
Your slider is installed to high. You probably need to grind a little off the crossmember where it sticks past the frame and then lower the plate where the 4 bolts go into the from.
 
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
1,153
Location
Castle Rock, CO
 
 
 
My LX did the exact same thing. You can try to lower the slider (there are slots for the bolts, make sure it's pulled as low as it can be), you can trim the cat bracket, that's what Christo did with mine, just notched it, it helped quite a bit. You can't use a rubber piece as those cats get HOT, you could take a bunch of header-wrap stuff that's for high-temp and put it under the cat, I did that, but it soon cut through it (bracket is sharp, so it just works its way though the headerwrap).

I came to the conclusion the only real fix for it was to move the cats up just a touch, on the pipe down from the engine there is a spot where you could cut out a piece then weld in a sleeve to get the cats and everything up another 3/4"-1", that's all you'd need...or you could just cut more on the sliders, I was leary about doing that as I tested (read: abused) them alot anyway and wanted them as strong as possible.

So yeah, you're not the only one who has seen that problem...with mine when Christo saw where they were hitting he was a bit confused, since that exact slider worked great on other vehicles, so maybe there is some slight differences on how low that exhaust ends up being...

Edit: Ok maybe Christo wasn't 'confused' but he mentioned how normally they fit perfect...but I also wanted my sliders up tight against the body for the most ground clearance, so that could have contributed somewhat to this.

Good Luck..
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
1,050
Location
Houston, Texas
 
 
Since I dont own the Slee sliders (someday though) take this for what its worth.
I have seen rigs where the cats are clocked, ie rotated 45 degrees. It sure made a difference in clearence from what Ive seen.

Buck
 
Joined
Mar 22, 2004
Messages
1,153
Location
Castle Rock, CO
 
 
 
Buckru said:
Since I dont own the Slee sliders (someday though) take this for what its worth.
I have seen rigs where the cats are clocked, ie rotated 45 degrees. It sure made a difference in clearence from what Ive seen.

Buck
That would help, currently the cats are vertical, if they were turned 90-degrees so they were horizontal it would help some (the part of the slider that is hitting is the 2" wide piece under the cats, it already goes in the best spot which is right inbetween the two cats, but the fact that it's 2" wide is partially a problem, it was say 1" side it'd fit better, but not be as strong, etc).

Ali (alia176 on here) had his cats turned so they are horizontal, it helped alot for clearance I think (I think they are no lower than the sliders, with a normal vertical-cat setup the actual cats are not well protected at all, IMO), he built his own sliders with I think George's design...his is a very clean setup.
 
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
645
Location
Northern New Mexico, Espanola
 
 
 
Check your other exhust mounts. I lost/broke two of my mounts and my exhaust system was bouncing/rattling. I then decided to install a flow master and an generic mount. I will try to post some pics to night.


Vince
 

concretejungle

SILVER Star
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
9,615
Location
North Cadillac
 
 
 
has anyone actually ground that small rib off the middle of the cat without causing any damage to the cat? Mine tap occasionally and that's the spot they tap. I only need about 2-3 mm clearance and that should take care of it; which is basically the rib.
 

lx450landcruiser

Moderator
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
2,753
Location
Seattle
 
 
 
mabrodis said:
That would help, currently the cats are vertical, if they were turned 90-degrees so they were horizontal it would help some (the part of the slider that is hitting is the 2" wide piece under the cats, it already goes in the best spot which is right inbetween the two cats, but the fact that it's 2" wide is partially a problem, it was say 1" side it'd fit better, but not be as strong, etc).

Ali (alia176 on here) had his cats turned so they are horizontal, it helped alot for clearance I think (I think they are no lower than the sliders, with a normal vertical-cat setup the actual cats are not well protected at all, IMO), he built his own sliders with I think George's design...his is a very clean setup.

Its called the cut and turn mod. works great when i had my exahust done i asked my guy about it he charged $20 more and it makes a world of difference supprisingly.
exhaust lx 3.jpg
exhaust lx 2.jpg
 

landtank

SILVER Star
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
19,752
Location
Groveland MA
 
 
 
It seems to me that turning your cats will only make matters worse. If the center flange is contacting the slider support now, once you rotate the cats 90 deg. that center flange will be wedged into the support as the bolts for the flange are facing down.
 
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Messages
3,577
Location
Fairview, NC
 
 
concretejungle said:
has anyone actually ground that small rib off the middle of the cat without causing any damage to the cat? Mine tap occasionally and that's the spot they tap. I only need about 2-3 mm clearance and that should take care of it; which is basically the rib.
Ever priced 'em...? Don't make a mistake.
:crybaby:

TJK
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
2,731
Location
Los Angeles, CA
 
 
 
stuck in GA said:
So I put the Slee sliders on right before I went to GSMTR and they worked great. They definitly saved my rig from some serious body damage. Anyway I noticed when I put them on that the exaust where the cats are was hitting the slider bar that would go under the cats to the frame. It hits pretty much all the time except when in park in that spot and makes a loud rattle noise and is annoying as all get out. Not even the music will cover it up. So my question is do I just lift up the exhaust and stuff a piece of heavy duty rubber or something in between to stop it or use something else? Clamps? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks anything is greatly appreciated.

:cheers:
Josh

STuck in GA,
When I installed my slider I had the same problem, but when I looked closer I realized that one of my rubber exhaust mounts was broken causing the whole setup to no only move accessively, but also hang lower. Upon replacing the mounts all problems were solved. Best of luck

-Sam-
 

yep

Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
169
Location
San Rafael, CA
 
Same issue on my 1997 LX. I have the brackets as low as they will go on the PS, so it looks like I will be a grindin'... :cheers:

-Yep
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
776
Location
Farmville, VA
Yes two exhaust mounts have broken. One I fixed which was near the engine bay and I put a u bolt over it and it works fine. The other mount near the muffler is rusted through and broke. The only way I can see to fix this mount is to take it to a welder to fix it because I don't know of a way to bolt it back up there. So yes the exhaust is rattling around but the cats still hit the slider and I think it would still make the noise just not as much if I put the mounting point back on near the muffler. So I was thinking maybe notch out a place in the slider (not the cat, to risky) so that way if it moves up and down it won't make a noise. It has already made a small notch in the slider from the heat and it hitting the slider. So maybe if I made that bigger and fixed the exhaust mount it would be fixed. What do yall think?

P.S. I do not want to lower the sliders because one it looks bad, and two it would lower my clearence and just get bumped back to where they are now.
 

Vlad

The Impaler
SILVER Star
Joined
Feb 7, 2002
Messages
11,031
Location
Woodstock, GA
 
 
 
 
don't notch anything intended to be structurally rigid unless you REALLY know what you are doing.
 

sleeoffroad

Supporting Vendor
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
6,271
 
 
 
stuck in GA said:
P.S. I do not want to lower the sliders because one it looks bad, and two it would lower my clearence and just get bumped back to where they are now.
The sliders are designed to sit where they sit with no inteference with the cat. if you have them to high you also run the risk of the legs hitting the pinch welds due to body flex. If they sliders are attached and torqued properly, only the most severe hit will move them. In addition, we recommend to hard core wheelers to tack weld the brackets to the frame. This way they will not move up, but if they need to be removed, it would mean just grinding a couple of tack welds. If the welds are placed in the proper spots, it should be pretty easy to get a grinder in there.
 
Top Bottom