Slider installation question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing the hanna sliders right now, and on the passenger side there is a strip of sheet metal that runs parallel with the cat that is inhibiting the placement of the slider. (It drops down probably three inches and is black) This piece of metal seems to function as protection from heat produced by the cat, although I am not sure. My question is, should I remove this strip of metal? Or position my slider around it?

(The guys are hanna are not answering their phone, and my searches came up with nothing.)

I cut mine flush with the bottom of the rocker pinchweld.

Dan, you know that metal is only held on by 3 small bolts.

Yes wb1948, just un-bolt it. I know exactly what you are talking about. I had to remove mine to get my home-made sliders to fit.

concretejungle said:
Dan, you know that metal is only held on by 3 small bolts.

Yes wb1948, just un-bolt it. I know exactly what you are talking about. I had to remove mine to get my home-made sliders to fit.

Well I would just normally do that, but since it could possibly have a purpose like protecting the paint from heat or something I want to make sure. Dan, why did you not remove yours?

For exactly that reason. I wanted that additional layer of steel there between the cats and the inner rocker, the way Toyota designed it. The reason it hangs down below the rocker is to provide protetion when entering and exiting the vehicle and to "hide" the cats a bit.

I guess I will be grinding it down then.

Just checked my paint. Running without it for about 6 months now, with some wheelin' and no paint issues at all. Grind away.

Alright, I have another problem. Now I am installing the driver side slider. On the inside part of the frame, two hard hoses run, they are very stiff I cant really work the u-bolts under them. I dont want to run the u-bolts over them because I dont want to restrict whatever runs through them. What am I suppose to do?

You need to gently pry the lines away from the frame far enough to slip the ubolt between the frame and the lines. Turn the ubolt on it's side and pass it up between the lines and then rotate it over the rails. Be sure to move the lines far enough away so that they do not touch the ubolts. After they are moved out they should stay there, more or less.

Sweet, ken is responding! This site rocks.

I found some thing (1/4 inch) adhesive backed foam that i stuck on the lines to keep them fron rattling. Worked quite well. Just cut to fit.

If you operate on the beach or anywhere salt is used to deice the roads I would avoid putting anything on the brake lines that can trap moisture, as it will result in an increase in the rate of corrosion.

I'm reviving this thread because it's the one I found on installing Hanna's sliders.

On the driver's side, I was able to slide 2 u-bolts under the lines. However, I popped the lines back into place and they are touching the u-bolts.

Cruiserdan says they lines shouldn't touch the u-bolts, but why not? What problems come from the lines touching the u-bolts?

Also, I couldn't slide the 3rd u-bolt near the rear door under the lines. What happens if you install over the lines and you tighten them up?

Just wondering...what are those lines for anyway?

Thanks

They shouldn't touch because vibration will eventually rub through the ubolt or the line. Most likely the line. Which in that case, I believe you will lose your brakes since those deliver the brake fluid to the rear. Tightening the ubolt will probably pinch the lines, resulting in the same situation.

On the driver's side, I was able to slide 2 u-bolts under the lines. However, I popped the lines back into place and they are touching the u-bolts.

Cruiserdan says they lines shouldn't touch the u-bolts, but why not? What problems come from the lines touching the u-bolts?

"Popped the lines back in place" Popped into What? If you removed the lines from the plastic clip and then pushed them back into the clip after you put the u-bolt in place you defeated the purpose of pulling the lines away from the frame rail.

Also, I couldn't slide the 3rd u-bolt near the rear door under the lines. What happens if you install over the lines and you tighten them up?

You will pinch the lines closed and lose your rear brakes. Not the best outcome.

The lines will rub through at some point, causing a fluld loss and no rear brakes. Yet another bad outcome.

Oh, so that's what in those lines :)

I did push the brake lines back into the plastic clip, so I'll pop them back out so they are not touching the u-bolts.

I'll also work at getting the 3rd u-bolt under the brake lines to avoid losing my rear brakes.

Thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom