slider help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
My friend called me this evening while I was out in the woods trying to find my hunting spot (Bow season starts the 1st). Anyway he had good news for me. He brought home from work 4 6 foot peices of 2x2 3/16, 8 almost 6 foot peices of 1x2 3/16, and 3 nice size peices of 3/16 flat stock. Which all cost me 50 bucks :grinpimp: and some change. Needless to say I am getting ready to fab up a set of sliders for my 91. When they are all tacked together he is going to take them back to work weld them up, grind them smooth, media blast them then, powder coat them for me. No charge. Friends in the right places is a wonderful thing. :D Now I need your help with some design ideas for the sliders. I hope to start on them tommorrow afternoon. :bounce:

Thank you In advance,
Chad P.

Go with George's design. Great design, pretty easy to follow. Just add some outter tube to them and you have a really good functional set of sliders.

Can't find the link, but do a search and you'll find them.

Concrete....wont he have to do something a little different to george's design though. i think the 91-92 slider design would need some moding.
someone correct me if im wrong.

Ahhh, good catch Brandon. DIdn't even notice that. You are right though. Same basic principal, except the side that is designed to go under the cats would be different.

George does have a great design for sliders. You will need to make changes for your model year, when it comes to how you attached them to your rig, but the slider and outriggers should be the same regardless of what year you're mounting them to.

i used 2x2 tube (1/4") to fab my sliders. (outrigers and slider rail) I like georges sliders too but those rearmost mounting plates are a real bitch to fit-i know i tried. the method i used to mount rear outrigger is arguably stronger. (although georges design like most is overkill anyway) Georges cat side outrigger is also tricky-mine is easier. see my post. the key is to cut out and mount (bolt) all the sandwich plates where you want them (6 plates-3 each side-and you need 6 more identicle plates for the back side of the frame). then use some jack stands to position your slider rail(your 2x2 tubing). now get some cardboard and cut out some outriggers-use the cardboard blanks to make the pattern for the real outrigger that connects the plate with the slider rail. if you dont have a chop saw-get one at harbor freight-60 bucks. you can cut all the plates out with the chop saw-just unbolt the threaded chuck assembly from the deck of the chop saw and with a flat deck you can feed your plate (at least 3/16-only if you gusset well) and cut it on the deck as if you were feeding wood on a table saw. wear goggles, ear protection, and welding gloves-dont remove the guard. 4" grinders work but take forever-forget about the sawz all. you aint gunna finish this in a weekend

I Have started a set of sliders I could show you if you want to come by.I haven't seen any like mine.Let me know I am on your way home or you could come by this weekend.

I sent you a PM about that, I would like to see what you have going on.

Thanks

I got a small start on my last 3 days off. I spent 4 hours up at the auto shop I used to work at cutting out and drilling holes in the plates that will be bolted to the frame. When I got home I spent another two hours in the garage drilling the holes in the frame. I only managed to get 8 holes or two plstes mounted. The plates are 3/16 plate 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 inches they have holes 3/4 inch in at each corner. I am not going to be using any pre existing holes in the frame. Everything is drilled through with 25/64 drill bit, the bolts are 3/8" x 3 1/2". Other than the frame rails being a pain to drill through the only problem I had was the fuel lines, they are mounted at the top of the p/s frame rail. I had to move one of the mounting brackets for the fuel lines about a half an inch.

Well tommorow is my second day off this rotation, and I have to work on a pt cruiser (JUNK) for about six hours, after that I will be getting back on my slider project. I should have some pics tommorow night.

Chad P.

If you're drilling through the frame, you have to sleave it.

Wish someone would do a FAQ for sliders with everyones versions...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom