Slider build- looking for advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool that you're doing this yourself. I wish I had some fab skills to do something similar.

As a regular user of my sliders though, I'm seeing something in the design that makes me wonder. Being in FL it may not matter for you ( ;) šŸ˜ ) but why didn't you run the slider longer to protect the full rocker? See red circles below.

View attachment 2553169

I can say from experience that especially that front section is very vulnerable to damage. Even with my WKOR sliders I've still crunched the lower cladding a few times.
These were just built with what I had on hand. I plan to do another set with DOM tubing, and use some things I learned during this build. I'm headed up to Windrock this weekend so I had to build these quick

These were just built with what I had on hand. I plan to do another set with DOM tubing, and use some things I learned during this build. I'm headed up to Windrock this weekend so I had to build these quick

I was thinking it was probably based on on-hand materials. Have you run Windrock before? It's a blast and you'll be very glad to have these on :cheers:

Don't run trail 12... Little birdy told me...

I was thinking it was probably based on on-hand materials. Have you run Windrock before? It's a blast and you'll be very glad to have these on :cheers:

Don't run trail 12... Little birdy told me...
Haha nah this is my first time. I'm pumped. We rented a little cabin up there and I'm going with the Alabama cruisers group on here. Long drive ahead of us but I'm ready.

Is trail 12 still considered a "blue" trail?

Haha nah this is my first time. I'm pumped. We rented a little cabin up there and I'm going with the Alabama cruisers group on here. Long drive ahead of us but I'm ready.

Is trail 12 still considered a "blue" trail?

I didn't run it myself but was told by someone who may or may not be named @sammybones that it's really an ATV trail.

Were you able to do all the blue trails with what you have?

I blew my front diff in trail 22. Was kind of a fluke though and I wouldn't think it'd be much of a problem. Atrac at least is a must as well as good ATs at least, aired down. I was open diff at the time.

I'd try them all now that I'm triple locked, provided there's actually room for the truck to fit in the trails. Did a few more trails there in October and had nary a hiccup. We did run trail 30 and it was fun, but was a little hairy if you're very particular about your paint.

I blew my front diff in trail 22. Was kind of a fluke though and I wouldn't think it'd be much of a problem. Atrac at least is a must as well as good ATs at least, aired down. I was open diff at the time.

I'd try them all now that I'm triple locked, provided there's actually room for the truck to fit in the trails. Did a few more trails there in October and had nary a hiccup. We did run trail 30 and it was fun, but was a little hairy if you're very particular about your paint.
Yeah the front diff is my worry, if I blow it im coming prepared with tools to 2wd home. Not too worried about paint

I've got ko2s, the rear auto locker and now sliders so I guess I'll just send it haha

Yeah the front diff is my worry, if I blow it im coming prepared with tools to 2wd home. Not too worried about paint

I've got ko2s, the rear auto locker and now sliders so I guess I'll just send it haha
Rear locker or rear LSD? Or wait... Did you install the lokka in your truck?

K02s will be good. Do you have recovery gear? Someone coming along with a winch and that good stuff?

Rear locker or rear LSD? Or wait... Did you install the lokka in your truck?

K02s will be good. Do you have recovery gear? Someone coming along with a winch and that good stuff?

Oh you can tell by my crappy budget build threads it ain't a real locker hahaha. It's that Lokka in the rear. I posted an installation thread a while back.

A few of the guys have winches, I have a tree strap, tow strap, a couple shackles, a huge come-along.

The group chat is going off now with people discussing trail 30, and whether to do it without skid plates or not. I have to keep in mind I have a 7 hour drive home.

Oh you can tell by my crappy budget build threads it ain't a real locker hahaha. It's that Lokka in the rear. I posted an installation thread a while back.

A few of the guys have winches, I have a tree strap, tow strap, a couple shackles, a huge come-along.

The group chat is going off now with people discussing trail 30, and whether to do it without skid plates or not. I have to keep in mind I have a 7 hour drive home.

I remember the lokka thread! I'm very interested in how you like it this week.

Skids were one of the first things I did after my first trip to windrock. If you're smart about it you can do it fine, but definitely be mindful of what's going under the truck.

You've got some guys who know what's up, you'll be fine and have a blast. šŸ˜Ž

I remember the lokka thread! I'm very interested in how you like it this week.

Skids were one of the first things I did after my first trip to windrock. If you're smart about it you can do it fine, but definitely be mindful of what's going under the truck.

You've got some guys who know what's up, you'll be fine and have a blast. šŸ˜Ž
Good I'm definitely excited.

I tested the Lokka out a little on some trails here, just ruts though, but I watched an open LC go through an obstacle and spin tires as the passenger rear came off the ground a little and mine just walked through so it's definitely working.

Last edited:
Good I'm definitely excited.

I tested the Lokka out a little on some trails here, just ruts though, but I watched an open LC go through an obstacle and spin tires as the passenger right came off the ground a little and mine just walked through so it's definitely working.
I saw a thread recently about a lokka install in a 100. Wonder if it might be a good option for me as opposed to a selectable electronic locker. I don't DD my 100 anyways....

I saw a thread recently about a lokka install in a 100. Wonder if it might be a good option for me as opposed to a selectable electronic locker. I don't DD my 100 anyways....

Yeah that was me.

I don't have anything bad to say about it (yet). It seems a lot of 100 owners have more expendable income than me and like to go for the best option (selectable locker). If I had an extra $3k I would have gone that route, but once I found out these had been tested with success in 60's and 80's I figured I'd try it. I'm more of a 100 series guy with a Jeep budget :rofl: .

You just have to be ready for the clicking and clunking in parking lots. If that will embarrass you don't do it LOL. I don't notice it on the road AT ALL, but I will sometimes hear a random CLUNK when off road turning slow or when turning very tight on road (in parking lots) when it unloads just right. At speed I never notice it. So far I've got about 2k miles on it.

Trail 30 is awesome. One of my favorites ( and where I blew out my front diff). There was only one or two spots we had to pull cable. #sendit #partytime

Awesome! I did more or less the same thing last spring and ended up with almost the same design, but with tube main beam.
Driver side AHC accumulator and all 4 spheres really prevents you from having 3 well placed legs... I was considering bolting the accumulator on a plate so that it will clear space for a third leg, but eventually ended up with 2 on both side. And the AHC lines limit how big the gussets could be. They rear are tiny...
I made the mistake to make the steps too close to the body - <10-15mm between step and sill and the body flexes a few mm more than that on the mounts on the frame :)

IMG_4330.jpeg

Awesome! I did more or less the same thing last spring and ended up with almost the same design, but with tube main beam.
Driver side AHC accumulator and all 4 spheres really prevents you from having 3 well placed legs... I was considering bolting the accumulator on a plate so that it will clear space for a third leg, but eventually ended up with 2 on both side. And the AHC lines limit how big the gussets could be. They rear are tiny...
I made the mistake to make the steps too close to the body - <10-15mm between step and sill and the body flexes a few mm more than that on the mounts on the frame :)

View attachment 2553420
Nice! Yeah I ended up with 2 mounts per side too. I probably should have went with 2 bolts per mount like you though

Trail 30 is awesome. One of my favorites ( and where I blew out my front diff). There was only one or two spots we had to pull cable. #sendit #partytime
Damn so 2 guys on here both blew front diffs at windrock!?

Fully complete

20210115_095138.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom