1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleeves for new bushings?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by zetasig, Mar 25, 2004.

1. zetasig

zetasig

hey there, Well I did get some free time and got the 4" BDS lift on the 40 this past week, Went pretty well. for what ever reason, when I didnt have air tools I swore how good life would be when I got some. Well now I have them and find my self turning the wrench with the air gun right next to me ???

Any way, the lift I got was used and one spring bushing in the front was worn away abit. I called a BDS distributer here and they said I couldnt get just one needed a kit which has two new bushings and a sleeve.

I dont have any of the other 3 sleeves. is this something everyone else uses on their rigs?? I installed a lift on a full size bronco ages ago. and did not use them there either.

Help.

2. jwest

jwest

You sure the BDS tech didn't think you had a land rover? They use sleeves.

Anyway, should be standard unless BDS uses an oddball spring eye diameter. Match poly for poly or rubber for rubber, or change them all out.

3. zetasig

zetasig

No Im sure, I even gave him the bushing number off of the BDS site for the FJ 40. I have essentially all new bushings for the springs and brand new ones for the frame. all poly. I just noticed that one of them had some "play" in it and it was worn down. The only route I have to take is to buy 4 bushings and the sleeve? Whatever, its 14 bucks. and I will have a few extra bushings.

4. zetasig

zetasig

Yeah????? WTF, I just looked at the PDF installation instructions from BDSs web site. They dont speak of any sleeves. and they are not listed in the parts list. I will have to call BDS direct on this one.

:slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

5. jwest

jwest

As I was saying, ...or maybe I wasn't clear, you don't use sleeves on your setup. Unless you have those special HB bushings with the formed in nylon sleeves. Otherwise, shackle pin inside bushing inside spring eye. Can't find the bushings locally?

6. zetasig

zetasig

I have a BDS distributer a few miles from the house, I called BDS and the Dist. and asked the same questions. Both responses were yes you need them. I then questioned why the instal instructions did not mention them, or list them in the parts catalog? They were like "well maybe we need to look at that, but yes we suggest you use the sleeves"

I did order a new set. 4 bushings. = one spring

like 11 bucks. Not a huge deal but not what I was looking for in the tech support either.