Slee's caster plates: did you have to grind the arms? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beowulf said:
You shoulda been here during the 2 years and 147 test drives before Eric was finally harrased into buying an 80. I was certain he was going to get divorced (or murdered) before that deal finally came down.

Those were tough times in Mudville. :rolleyes:

-B-

you wouldn't have wanted me to buy a bilegreen affair now, would you? :D

landtank said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhh yes, all those AC temp readings fore and aft.

now I'm working on my engine coolant and ATF temps... aaah, what fun! :)

but it is true, the old guard (by now) was very helpful and patient with this newbie... thanks!

Photo_Cruiser said:
E9999

You gonna get a damn lift or what......you are data happy.......

the 457 winch threads and no winch

the 679 radio threads and no radio

the 229 Hi-Lift questions

the 478 pre Surf and Turf concerns with associated polls

the 146 EGR worries

the 364 propane refrigerator questions, polls and experiments

the 827 tire queries

Eric-you have 4,800 posts and 1 mod (sliders!) Your post to mod ratio is record setting :rolleyes:

I think you need more 6-4-6, (or less!!!):D :D :D :D

Buy the heavy lift and install the bushings.

Proceed

Cruiserdrew said:

the 146 EGR worries

the 827 tire queries

Eric-you have 4,800 posts and 1 mod (sliders!) Your post to mod ratio is record setting :rolleyes:

Proceed

EGR????

dang, something wrong with my EGR???? better go check right away...! :D

Cruiserdrew said:

the 146 EGR worries

the 827 tire queries

Proceed

ROTFLMAO :bounce2:

dude, ;p
owned.jpg

Last edited:
where is a good mod when you need one, eh...? :D

back to the ongoing program...!

well, after some enlightening comments from Christo, I have now -belatedly- come to the realization that the grinding or not situation does not depend at all on the lift. OTOH it should be a strong function of the original OEM caster since that sets the rod height over the arms. As I said elsewhere, seems like the good thing is that those of us with weak caster to start with are less likely to need grinding... And plates might be more desirable than bushings for moderate to high lifts in that case too, so at least those 2 go well together...

So I'm thinkin': no grindin' for this dude! :)

It's actually a trangle of sorts. You have the relationship of the brackets top the knuckles which determines caster and the subsiquent grinding need. And then the bracket to Diff for DS vib issues.

Seems like you might be half way there to forcasting vib and caster issues prior to lifting a truck.

the way I see it:
- the lift determines the angle of the control arm w.r.t. to frame (and horizontal plane).
- the plate determines the angle of the axle housing w.r.t. to the arms
- the OEM welding of the knuckles determines the angle of the knuckles w.r.t to the axle housing
- the final angular position of the knuckles based on all the above determines the absolute caster
that sounds right?

what's bugging me, though, is that the lift does have some effect on the relative spacing between rod and arms, as suggested by the numbers in my original post above...

I just installed the plates last weekend, no grinding so far! The space seems to be at the very least, around 5/16". I'm using the Slee 4" springs BTW.

However, I'm getting some rubbing on the inside of the front springs and the leading edge of the bump stops. Next weekend, I'll grind down the bump stop lip a tad and see what happens. Hated to scratch that beautiful powercoating on the springs though!

Ali

Last edited:
I have 4" of lift with CC bushings. I had an alignment right after the lift 3 years ago and haven't needed one since despite some heavy off-road action and even a lateral slide into a curb during icey conditions.
No shakes, no shimmeys. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom