Slee's caster plates: did you have to grind the arms? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm planning to put 850s on. But my calcs based on an actual caster measurement suggest that the CC bushings will not be enough. Cuz I'm below min spec with stock suspension (I'm at 1.7 or so). Somebody on the upper side of the range will likely be fine with the bushings.

any more plates with no grinding? (dang, where are these polls when you need them... :D )

landtank said:
If those are the original springs you can expect some sag to have set in which would make those numbers look better than with fresh springs. I've got $10.00 that says you'll need 6* of correction after that lift.

don't think I have much sag, I was 20" with OEM springs.

But if you'll up the ante to $3000 I'll change my plans to Christo's 6" + goodies and prove you right!... :D

If you turn the wheels back and forth you can grind them without removing the arms. It is a PITA.

ginericfj80 said:
If you turn the wheels back and forth you can grind them without removing the arms. It is a PITA.

I bet! you'll need to turn them something like 50,000 times at least to get any good grinding? :D

cruiserdan said:
The only exception would be if going with a standard OME configuration with OME bushings since OME already figured that one out for you.

D-

If the OME suspension are applied correctly in terms of spring rate and the required weight that needs to be on the truck, then the caster bushings provide the correct amount of caster correction. So, your truck will be the same or very close to the original caster specs before the lift. So in theory, you will have the same ride as you had before in terms of the return to center etc.

The issue comes in where people use the incorrect springs for the application to achieve more lift. Then the caster bushings does not correct the caster enough. Also any anomaly you have in terms of driveability, pulling, wandering would probably be worse after the lift, more so if the changes in suspension geometry is not corrected.

e9999 said:
But if you'll up the ante to $3000 I'll change my plans to Christo's 6" + goodies and prove you right!... :D

For now you should follow threw and prove me either way with your planned lift.

You seem to be hard set with that 1" = 1* thing and I honestly think it will get you into trouble. There is way too may variables for any one hard and fast rule on determining what a truck will need prior to installing the springs.

If it's a trail truck who cares where the caster is, but if it is also a DD with precious cargo on board, I'm thinking you want to make it right for highway speeds.

Christo, don't get me started on this. . . . . I have used the correct spring combo, we even discussed it on the phone and my castor was still off. It is my opinion that you never know exactly what to expect. You can estimate, but you won't know until you install, let the settle in and then start to play the game.

Really though, i don't see what the big deal is. If you go 6 inches, get the arms from Christo and be done with it. If you get the 4 inch lift, get the plates from Christo and be done with it. If you get anything other, put it on, let it settle, get an alignment reading and then either put the CC bushings in or plates. Then you are done.

soooo, we got
2 (maybe 3?) ground
1 not ground
anybody else?

e9999 said:
Anybody who put the plates on and did not need to grind the arms?

Moi .. no grinding!

The noises I heard in my first week or so after the install were from the new coils I think, as they seated themselves. At first I thought it was rubbing on the arms. Almost a year later, and it runs like a dream .. no rubbing issues at all.

:beer:

TY

2 ground, 2 not ground...

not exactly a very representative sample, unless there are only 4 sets out there in the world...

anybody else?

anybody else?

Haven't yet but need to.

I've been beating on the truck, no problems as of yet. (I just jinxed myself)

5 ground
2 not ground

Photo_Cruiser said:
E9999

You gonna get a damn lift or what......you are data happy.......

yup, that's the failed statistician in me.
Worst incomprehensible class I had as an undergrad....

Photo_Cruiser said:
You gonna get a damn lift or what......you are data happy.......

You shoulda been here during the 2 years and 147 test drives before Eric was finally harrased into buying an 80. I was certain he was going to get divorced (or murdered) before that deal finally came down.

Those were tough times in Mudville. :rolleyes:

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom