Sleeping Quarters In A FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

Thinking of building a storage unit / sleeping platform for my 80.

Did a bunch of search and found tons on some really nice storage units! I especially like Pismo Jims.

I am looking for some more info and pics on what exactly people did for sleeping quarters as far as setting up the rear seating area and the cargo area. I am a big guy 6'3" 265lbs so this might be a bit of a challenge to get comfy!

I know this is kind of tech and kind of outfitting, so i will post in both, mods please move if you feel necessary!

Any input is good!

Thanks

Man, remind me not to piss you off!

If you don't want to build something in the back, you can actually get a very long sleeping area by doing what I have on a couple road trips. Leave the jumps seats in and folded. Take out the middle row (4 bolts, I think). Pack in duffle bags. When it's time to sleep, toss a duffle in the middle row footwell where your pillows will be to build the pillows up to floor level and you've got a VERY long spot to sleep in. I never measured it, but it seems like around 7 feet. The bonus is you still have seating for 4 with the jump seats down.

DougM

I'm 6' 5" and 270, pretty much have just learned to sleep in the fetal position wherever I stray from home.

Interested in any solutions that may come up here.

IdahoDoug said:
Man, remind me not to piss you off!

DougM

Ha, truth is big guys do terrible in Navy and SEAL training except for carrying the boat or logs over their heads - physically, slighter guys crush bigs guys in all areas - including hand-to-hand, pull-ups, runs, dexterity and everything else. Reality sucks, huh? :flipoff2:

I will post up some info and pic of what i come up with.

Those are some random comments Bounder! Are you a BUDS instructor?

BOUNDER said:
Ha, truth is big guys do terrible in Navy and SEAL training except for carrying the boat or logs over their heads - physically, slighter guys crush bigs guys in all areas - including hand-to-hand, pull-ups, runs, dexterity and everything else. Reality sucks, huh? :flipoff2:
Were you there? Smurf crew rules! :grinpimp:
Cruiser content: I can sleep in the back of my cruiser with the middle row rolled forward, 'cuz I'm short.

Vitesse_6 said:
Dunno if you saw this or not, But LX-Treme had a post about 8 months ago on it, ..... He tried to find more info But I never heard back.

I think he ended up getting it.
Not a cheap mod at over $1000US.

We can hope that he will chime in.

you can build/buy a drawer system for behind the middle seats. I built my drawer so the top is just above the rear fender wells. This allows me to fold the middle seat back down which ends up being almost flat with the top of the drawer. At 5'9" I can stretch all the way out, I am not a fetal kind of sleeper. I bet if you slid the front seats forward a bit you would have plenty of room to stretch those legs.

I'm 6'4¨ 230 and I sleep in the back of the 80 when camping--not much on scorpions. I leave my spare tire(315/75-16) on the drivers side--it is vertical. I remove both the 2nd and 3rd row seats there is plenty of room--as mentioned above throw some duffles in the 2nd row foot well for your pillow-- There is plenty of room with the tail gate closed but sometimes my dog likes to sleep on the gate if the weather is good. The picture with the tire horizontal and a tuffy box below looks interesting. Let us know what you come up with.
spare tire inside with tool box below b.jpg
spare tire inside with tool box below.jpg

Have you seen the link on the draw systems in the outfitting section? I have a 1/2 side drawer system built by Jeff Kauffman that works great for sleeping on top of. I'm 6'2" and uh...let's just say 300+ ;) and found it quite comfy sleeping on top of it.

The drawer height just about matches the height of the 2nd row seats when folded down. He has a platform that connects to the back of the drawer which rests on top of the 2nd row seat to provide a flat surface. A twin aero-bed air mattress fits snugly on the 1/2 side. Works great for me.

I'm the next ROTW -- I'll include some pics of the platform -- I know others have asked for it, but I just haven't had time to throw it back on and snap pics.

If you plan to build something yourself, the key to remember is to make the height of the cargo box the same as the 2nd row when it's folded down. Then you can lay flat on the combined surfaces. With an air mattress or a thick foam mattress, you'll be nice and comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom