sleeping platform project (lots of pictures) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After seeing Kevin Rowland's ROTW, and Mike Wood's article in the last Toyota Trails, I figured it was time to put a bed together in the cargo area of my 60.

Last summer my girlfriend, dog, and I took a 5000 mile trip out West, and we mainly slept in a tent beside the truck because the cargo area was so full. When we did sleep in the truck, we had to move everything and leave it outside or stacked in the front seats. Time to fix that situation.

This took one 4x8 piece of 23/32 BC plywood ($30/sheet), and four big scraps of the same that were around the shop. The total hardware cost was around $25, but I didn't keep very close track, and I've got a lot of stuff left over I decided not to use.

The tie-downs in the corners are from a 95 4Runner that blew the engine. And the hinged section of the floor bolts to the main section when it's folded up, so nothing bounces around in the back. So far, everything seems really tight and solid.

Sorry but I don't have exact measurements. I built it a piece at a time, and made everything fit as it went in. If you want something measured, PM me and I'll do it.

It's close to queen size, and I plan on putting a mattress pad or egg crate back there. Something that can roll up when the back seat is being used (dog has to ride in comfort, you know).

I'll be testing it out this weekend in the George Washington and Jefferson Nat'l Forests in southwest Virginia. I'll let you all know how it sleeps.

I'm posting a lot of pictures, so you all can see the details in case anybody decides to do something similar.
IMG_1428_800.jpg
IMG_1429_800.jpg
IMG_1430_800.jpg

more pictures
IMG_1431_800.jpg
IMG_1432_800.jpg
IMG_1433_800.jpg

more pictures 2
IMG_1434_800.jpg
IMG_1435_800.jpg
IMG_1438_800.jpg

more pictures 3
IMG_1440_800.jpg
IMG_1441_800.jpg
IMG_1442_800.jpg

more pictures 4
IMG_1443_800.jpg
IMG_1444_800.jpg
IMG_1446_800.jpg

last pictures
IMG_1448_800.jpg
IMG_1449_800.jpg

How high does it sit off the floor? I am toying with the 14-15" for mine when I get around to it. Do you have plans fix it to the floor to secure everything in place? (in case of an accident)

It's a full 2' off the floor. I built it so my big ice chest would slide underneath. You can sit up on top, but your head is bent over. I figured it was a compromise allowing maximum storage underneath while not having your nose up against the headliner when you're sleeping.

No, I don't think I'll fix it to the floor. I'm really reluctant to put holes in my cargo floor, and my 60 didn't come with tie downs. I'll be driving with the rear seat usable and the platform folded up and secured, and I don't see how it could move. It's smashed between the back of the seat and the tailgate hard enough I'm sort of afraid it'll bend the metal.

That looks great! Mine is a bit shorter, but has the same basic principle.

Do you plan on being able to access KMRs quarter panel storage hatches?

Abso-frickin'-lutely!! When my turn comes around, I'm just going to have him put the hinges a bit higher up to clear my storage system. Shouldn't be too tall to make the opening for the hatches too narrow to be useful.

I already have the tailgate box, which is great! Can't wait to get my hands on the quarter hatches.

Abso-frickin'-lutely!! When my turn comes around, I'm just going to have him put the hinges a bit higher up to clear my storage system. Shouldn't be too tall to make the opening for the hatches too narrow to be useful.

I already have the tailgate box, which is great! Can't wait to get my hands on the quarter hatches.

Does your platform rest at the top of the wheel wells?

I'm trying to decide if I should put my platform at the top of the quarter panels like ForestDan and access the quarter panels from underneath or put it as low as possible and have the hinges set high.

Height

I'm trying to decide if I should put my platform at the top of the quarter panels like ForestDan and access the quarter panels from underneath or put it as low as possible and have the hinges set high.

Top of the wheel well is just shy of 8". That's the level the drawer system I'm working on sits because I need the room for a couple of big dogs back there.

The platform is nice. Great job. I like it taller to allow more room under it. There is still plenty of room with a soft mat to sleep on it.

Lookin good! :cheers:
You gained a lot of storage by going higher compared to the storage lost by cover the 1/4s, good compromise I think. And your solution is a hell of a lot cheaper than a set of new 1/4 panels. :doh:

I second bolting it to the floor though, holes in the truck are better than holes in your head. Think about just installing another set of D rings, you can put a set through the wheel wells and one through the tailgate threshold just to have something to run some turnbuckles to the platform. It is not so much the platform you will need to keep in place, but the weight of all the things stored under it. If you are really against through bolting, weld them to the inner floor.

Speaking of which, Johnny, have you tied that tire down yet. :flipoff2:

My platform, which isn't fully completed yet, will rest right above the wheel wells. Right now I only have the central box constructed, but that's because I'm too broke to buy the plywood to finish it.

Speaking of which, Johnny, have you tied that tire down yet. :flipoff2:

Don't make me post up a picture of all the heavy blunt objects that are poised on top of my box in the back of my rig! :hillbilly: I will be buying that roof rack within the month, so don't worry about that. Be more worried about the 6t jack stands that are floating around back there...

Seriously though, what I will be doing is mounting my boxes the same way that kevin did. I will drill through the bottom of my box into the bed of my rig, and throw some big bolts in there to keep everything secured. Turnbuckles, in my opinion, don't make it any easier to secure the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom