Sleeping platform for 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've used this a half dozen nights by now, and have found it perfectly usable, despite of its very simple construction.

It uses a single 4x8 sheet of plywood - cut to: 48" x 76". The edges are taped with duct tape, and the end that goes against the seat have a strip of camping foam hot glued to protect the seats. The 12.25" long 2x4s have a .75" long protrusion that fits into the holes made for the 3rd row seats. The whole thing tilts about until you back your front row seats back and push it gently against the rear gate. That's about it!. Oh, I put foam pads against the folded down 2nd row seats to protect them from the plywood - a couple of extra thicknesses over the shorter seat as it is a bit lower when folded down.

Gil
Ventura
P1080615.jpg
P1080616.jpg
P1080613.jpg

Are you still using this? Does it move around at all? Recently put mine together and I'm looking for a good way to secure it to the truck so it doesn't move around at all when i'm driving.

thats a nice idea. The rear is a bit too short with the seats folded up, and it is a PITA to take them out. Have either of you kept this in while wheeling. It seems like it would be very easy to strap it down. Why did Mr T design the 100 seats to not fold down flush like most SUVs. Yea yea, the 100 isnt most SUVs, but still.

not to mention all the straps on everything to keep in place instead of locking in place.

thats a nice idea. The rear is a bit too short with the seats folded up, and it is a PITA to take them out. Have either of you kept this in while wheeling. It seems like it would be very easy to strap it down. Why did Mr T design the 100 seats to not fold down flush like most SUVs. Yea yea, the 100 isnt most SUVs, but still.

not to mention all the straps on everything to keep in place instead of locking in place.

PITA? One's 4 bolts, the other 6. Takes less than 10 mins to remove both, and that's being half drunk when you do it. The comfort level without a platform, and extra elbow-room made it a complete non-issue for me. Just my .02 :D - Sorry, not intending to flame a thread :flipoff2:

Why did Mr T design the 100 seats to not fold down flush like most SUVs. Yea yea, the 100 isnt most SUVs, but still.
Do any solid rear axle SUV's have fold-flush rear seats?

Do any solid rear axle SUV's have fold-flush rear seats?

The 02'-06' Tahoe Z71 did. I camped/slept in the back of mine a ton of times. It was a really nice design as far as maximizing room.

The space isn't free though. If they are flush on the floor either the floor has to sit lower, or the roof higher, or you have less internal height.

The GX460/Toyota Prado, have rear seats that fold into the floor, they are smaller though.

saillaw said:
The space isn't free though. If they are flush on the floor either the floor has to sit lower, or the roof higher, or you have less internal height.

In the Tahoe, the split bench folded over first, down into the footwell. Then the seat back folded down flat. The backside of the seat back then became the floor/bed of the cargo area making it perfectly flat. The only space lost was the few inches of the seat bench that was exposed above the seat back once it was folded down.

One of the things I really liked was the rear windows/doors had zero obstructions from the seats being folded. Made 2nd row loading that much easier. Plus, my dog had more room to stick her head out the window.

This configuration only applied to trucks with a 60/40 split bench in the second row. The captains chairs had a different configuration. I ordered my 03 Tahoe with that specific setup because it was one of the major selling points for me. And, I couldn't afford a brand new 03 LC back then.

The one thing I really dislike about the 100 is the way the rear seats fold and attach via straps.

^ One of the best I've seen.

PITA? One's 4 bolts, the other 6. Takes less than 10 mins to remove both, and that's being half drunk when you do it. The comfort level without a platform, and extra elbow-room made it a complete non-issue for me. Just my .02 :D - Sorry, not intending to flame a thread :flipoff2:

When i have been wheeling all day with 3 or 4 people in the truck, it is a PITA to take them out at bed time. And where do you put them if you are sleeping in the truck? On top under a tarp is not where i want my leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom