Sleeping Mattress for Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a pic of a queen size air matress in the back of my 80. I've now replaced it with a one with a 110v inflator/deflator. Andy is right, the air inside of the air mattress is hard to warm up with your body. For most nights it's ok, provided you place a blanket on top of the mattress. Last time I used it it was in the low 30s at night and it was nice and warm inside.
If it were colder, I would turn the engine on for a few minutes before going to bed.

One more tip. If you place a tarp over your rig at night, it will keep the cruiser darker when the sun comes up. Plus it will allow you to leave window open and not have any condensation inside your cabin, while keeping the temp at a confortable level for the wife.

Regards

Alvaro
Hi Alvaro:

will travel to the states in november and stay there for a couple months, do you know anyone interested in my Safari SoftShell, which is in very very good condition and barely used ? This is a lifetime chance to get ahold one since this people in Utah does not make them any more !! let me know to put it on my bags before I leave Caracas.

I'm going to give the @Coastline mattress a try. Ordered the taco bed mattress this morning. Going to put a top on top of that. Will update my findings with pictures once everything arrives.

Sent from my SM-G925V

:confused:
is there a reason why you choose to cherry pick this one nine-year-old quote from this thread?
Nope, just cruising the threads and found this-seems like a perfect match for the current situation in politics(at least ever since Roosevelt)

Bringing this one back from the dead. What's everyone's current recommendation? I hear lots of buzz around the Exped Megamat. I'll have drawers installed soon and will be looking for something to slap on top with the second row folded for a semi-level platform in the back of my 80.

Best options? Looks like 72" length will keep it where I don't need to fuss with shifting the front seats forward.

Bringing this one back from the dead. What's everyone's current recommendation? I hear lots of buzz around the Exped Megamat. I'll have drawers installed soon and will be looking for something to slap on top with the second row folded for a semi-level platform in the back of my 80.

Best options? Looks like 72" length will keep it where I don't need to fuss with shifting the front seats forward.
I have the Exped Megamat on top my drawer system and it's the best sleeping investment. Game changer.

Are you folding the rear seats for the extended platform? Or do your drawers run all the way through?
I deleted the 2nd row seats and my drawers run all the way to back end of the rear door. I then created a sleeping platform to extend to the front seats.

IMG_3456.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

I deleted the 2nd row seats and my drawers run all the way to back end of the rear door. I then created a sleeping platform to extend to the front seats.

View attachment 2627667

View attachment 2627668

View attachment 2627667

View attachment 2627668
I did the same, but my drawers only go back far enough that I can still put the second row back in if I need to. The part that makes up the "foot" of the bed is a separate box/trunk that attaches to the drawer unit for sleeping, but if the second row is in, can be moved on top of the drawers or removed entirely.

I used to use a 3/4 inch thermarest but a couple years back I upgraded to the 4 inch. It's as good as our bed at home.

E6264C2C-235B-4F62-9B7E-E9D48E868AD8.jpeg

D81D33B9-92A4-4E8F-A437-E5D657572C4A.jpeg

181E1E94-9E36-4CE8-896D-36E72387F470.jpeg

A47F24BE-C981-4272-B2FF-8F8683E34A81.jpeg

FYI any good upholstery shop can make a custom folding mattress for similar cost as some of the off-the-shelf products that have been posted. I haven't done it for the 100 but do have one for my mercedes wagon. It's a trifold that is custom fitted and when folded up tucks neatly away without sacrificing space for other cargo.

I got the Exped MegaMat a while ago, most comfortable I've ever been camping. Great sleeping mat.
How are you deflating it? I have two and took them camping for the first time last summer and it took forever for me to get the air out of them.

I have the Exped Megamat on top my drawer system and it's the best sleeping investment. Game changer.
I asked this question on an previous reply with out realizing that it was from 2015. I'll ask you the same question:

How are you deflating it? I have two and took them camping for the first time last summer and it took forever for me to get the air out of them.

I asked this question on an previous reply with out realizing that it was from 2015. I'll ask you the same question:

Pretty simple really. Open up both both valves and roll them up. Close the valves to keep out the air you just deflated. Then roll them up until you’re 6 inches away from the end and open the valves again. Close them both before air comes back in.

Pretty simple really. Open up both both valves and roll them up. Close the valves to keep out the air you just deflated. Then roll them up until you’re 6 inches away from the end and open the valves again. Close them both before air comes back in.
I must have done something wrong, because that's what I did and the air wouldn't fully come out. I spent something like half an hour deflating each one.

I must have done something wrong, because that's what I did and the air wouldn't fully come out. I spent something like half an hour deflating each one.
That’s exactly how I do it every time I use the mattress works the same way every time.

I usually don't deflate mine, I just leave it and my sleeping bag/pillow out in the back of my 81 ready to go.

But when I do I do it like the others said. Both valves open and fold it in 3 while kneeling on it, then roll it up, kneel on it again to get the last of the air out, close the valves. If you want it to go a little faster push open the deflate valve while you're kneeing on it once it's mostly rolled up.

@ChadHahn The newer Megamats have a little "stick" attached to the inflation valve. You use it to hold the flapper open on the inflation valve.... to effectively have (2) deflation valves.

I have the older version and I just removed the rubber flapper completely on the deflation side. With both sides open, deflation speed is okay.

What's the reason for opening both valves? They are designed to be one-way in opposite directions. There is some self-inflating action with the inflate valve so doesn't that just keep bringing air back in as you try to deflate it?

I have 3 of these mats and have never had a problem deflating them with only the deflate valve open. I open the deflate valve, lay down on the mat for a few seconds just to get it started, then I just start at the non-valve end and start rolling it up. I roll about half a turn and then put my knee on the roll while I re-grip to start another turn. Each roll forces air out of the deflate valve, without letting it come back in since I keep the inflate valve closed. By the time I get to the end I'm sure there's still a little air in it but it's empty enough to be rolled tight and fit easily into the bag. I don't try to deflate it and then roll it... It's the rolling that accomplishes the deflating.

The little rubber stick in the inflate vaIve opens that valve just a tiny amount to let a little air out, but only while you're pushing on it. It's not meant for completely deflating the mat. It's meant for minor adjustments in the middle of the night so you don't have to open the deflate valve and lose too much air when you're fine tuning it. That's also why it has the little rubber tab hanging from it, so you can find the right valve for fine tuning inside a dark cruiser in the middle of the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom