Sleeping IN vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone has figured a way to sleep 2 inside an 80 series WITH an ARB/Engle fridge and achieve any level of comfort? We have a Memory foam mattress that we use in the back but can’t seem to figure how to fit the fridge. Maybe I just need another set of eyes.

Build a platform that that sits on top of the fridge?

Put the fridge on some sort of quick disconnect so it can be quickly removed?

Reactions: RFB
I’ve tried cutting it into a diy platform but it still encroaches quite a bit. It just doesn’t really fit on the front seat either.. 3’ tall,indeed. Good one.

What do you have a sleeping platform/cargo drawer system or not, you could depending on individual height sleep one person front to back beside the fridge and the other door to door just behind the front row if the second row has been removed And tour system box stops where the second round and controller system box stops where the second row was.

If there is no cargo door system or platform, you could read the fridge for foot room.

Or you could make the fridge quick removable and either stick it in the front seat or lock it to the rear bumper or Hitch. I would recommend a concealing cover of some sort, depending on where you are parked.

Depending on your fridge size you might be able to make it work! One of those drawer fridges would be cool too. You didnt state whether you have a drawer setup or not.

Edit* Jaymar asked the same thing

Do a quik connect or witsend spiral cord so when night falls fridge goes outside I sleep in my corbeau leather seat pretty damn comfy when its frigid.

When it's cold, are guys letting your truck idle when you sleep or are you relying on warm sleeping bags in the truck?

Yes, the proper and best way to make use of the available space and have a medium or large size fridge is to build a deck in the cargo area that sits above your bed. Fridge and storage on top and bed on floor. Fridge needs to be on a tilt tray to allow best access. This allows full floor space to sleep.

I have a platform with a cooler on it. If it’s cold enough I’ll move the cooler to the passenger seat and put the middle row seats down. Not the most comfortable but it’s decent

Nitrogen oxides?

CO maybe, I use mine but not for long periods of time. Use good judgement

Technically you expose yourself to the risk of CO in cab with long periods of idling too, especially depending on condition of exhuast.

Definite concern either way

Nitrogen oxides?

CO maybe, I use mine but not for long periods of time. Use good judgement

Technically you expose yourself to the risk of CO in cab with long periods of idling too, especially depending on condition of exhuast.

Definite concern either way
I kinda thought by "portable buddy" he meant a dog. But maybe he's a dentist (or a drag racer) with a spare tank of nitrous oxide?

My fridge sits behind the driver's seat and is on a slide. I move the driver's seat all the way forward and then slide the fridge forward to maximize the space for sleeping. The platform is designed for the wife to sleep on that side but we haven't needed it yet. I've slept on the passenger side of the platform and it works great. I have a feeling she'd have to be at a bit of an angle to be fully stretched out but haven't tested it.

As for heat, I use a portable Buddy heater too. I recently bought a CO alarm that will ride along next trip. I also crack the windows just to be safe. I'm more worried about igniting something inside the truck with as much heat that gets trapped.

Battery powered CO detector plus little buddy, with a window cracked (or wide open if you want to catch hell from the wife in the morning) works fine.

I can't imagine 2 people plus a fridge in the truck overnight. We barely make it with two people and most of our gear under the truck or in a tent.

Just curious if anyone has figured a way to sleep 2 inside an 80 series WITH an ARB/Engle fridge and achieve any level of comfort?
You can't, without removing it every night. A cooler is much easier and more versatile for sleeping in the back of an 80. Her Engel has been collecting dust for 1.5 years - ha

When it's cold, are guys letting your truck idle when you sleep or are you relying on warm sleeping bags in the truck?

I’ve never really been a fan of sleeping bags; I find them too constricting. Down comforters and a layer or two on top of that keep me pretty warm on the coldest of nights (coldest I’ve seen was probably ~10°). My face still gets cold so it isn’t the most restful sleep but oh well.

In the morning, brave the cold long enough to turn the truck on, watch the scn gauge until it hits around 130° and then crank the heat. About ten min later it’s warm enough in the cabin to remove blankets and get dressed.

From there, caffeinate, wheel, sleep, repeat until the trip is over.

Quality sleeping bag with good pad and correct sleeping gear and Ive been comfy outside in single digit weather. Truck holds heat so its even more comfy in there. I used to hate sleeping bags till i finally got one that fits. Another trick i learned by accident is to let your arb cooler get warmer and then drop the temp on it. The motor puts off heat and will raise temp in truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom