Sleeping in back? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do the center seats fold or rear seats be removed for making a bed area in the back of 60? I was going the 80 series route when I found out this is difficult with them.

Mike Stevens

60 series have no rear seats, only center bench, which folds flat. Pretty easy to do what you're discussing with a 60 series, do a search and you'll find descriptions and pictures. Note, a 60 series really only sits five.

When ever i got camping my trusty 62 is what i use as my tent. a twin sized air matress fits pretty well in the space back there (there is some raising on the sides from the wheel wells) making it nice and comfey.

to fold down the center seats in a 60 you just pull the little strap in the middle of the backseat to fold the bottom out. Then undo the two levers on the top corners of the seatback and there you go. I'm 6' 3" and i can sleep fine in the back of mine.

It has worked well for me in the past, but I'm only 5'7. I use something completely different now. Wouldn't recommend it as a repetitive thing unless you pack really light.. pain to shuffle everything around just to sleep.

I'm 6'1" and I need to sleep diagonally to stretch out, but it works fine. 2 people are a little close, which is fine if it's the right other person. If it's your wheeling buddy that ate too much chili and it's day 3 in the sticks with no shower, it's far too tight.

Do it all the time...

in my '62. Need to take the headrests off the back seat so it'll fold flat. I'm 6'3" and it's very comfortable. The ultimate camping mobile as far as I'm concerned. :)

I go on one or two camping/fishing trips by myself a year. I will be doing it this weekend, in fact. When I do this I sleep in the back of my 62. I am ~5'10" and fit almost perfectly (would be better if I was 1-2" shorter). I don't pack extremely heavily so most of my gear is on the sides and I sleep in the middle on a self inflating sleeping pad. As stated, I have only slept back there alone, I imagine it would be quite crowded with someone else. I am seriouly considering selling the 62 this fall and buying an 80, but the ease of sleeping in the back of the 62 is one of the biggest things holding me back.

Sleeping in the back of a 60 or 62 is where it is at. Perfect for one night stays, hunting on the move, emergency situations, etc. I've had Me (5'9"), my wife (5'4") and our one year old sleeping back there. And you've got to love the handy holes in the 62 seat bottom to hold the headrests!

One more piece of advice (and thanks for the plug, PolterGeist!) about sleeping in the back of a 60...

If you take out the seat bottom instead of flipping it forward, you get a few inches of extra room. Very nice. Four bolts and it's out. Takes under five minutes, including opening another beer and getting the wrong wrench the first three times. :D

No one has mentioned this in fear of being called a :princess: , but a full-size mattress fits in the back perfectly too. I've done this a couple times with the old lady. Popped the plush pillow-top mattress in the back for Telluride a couple years ago. Talk about luxury! Good tunes and good sleep. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
RredFJ40 said:
Sleeping in the back of a 60 or 62 is where it is at.

I respectfully disagree, but it CAN BE cheaper!

0015.jpg

I've slept in mine, I even did it with a dude... It was a little cramped, but it was fine since I was quite intoxicated and wouldn't haven't slept any better in a 100$ a night hotel room. For you tall guys, you can open the bottom gate and close the top one, if its cold just hang a blanket over the back. I'm ~ 6' 2" and this worked perfectly so I didn't have to sleep diagonally to stretch out.

I'd spend my hard earned money in other places before I bought one of those. Besides, I'm 25, I still recover fairly fast.

eshelbyk said:
I respectfully disagree, but it CAN BE cheaper!

0015.jpg

I built a raised platform for the back of mine. Goes over the wheel wells so you have more side to side room. Also handy for storing stuff underneath. I cut some screen and tape it to the outside of the door so I can leave the windows open and keep the bugs out. I also carry everything in rubbermaid containers. That way I don't have to worry about leaving stuff out overnight.

This might be because I'm only seventeen, but I prefer to sleep under the stars with only my sleeping bag seperating me from the ground or rocks. To me, there is nothing that can surpass sleeping in the cool night air.

:beer:

Yep, 17 has a lot to do with that. I did it for years solo backpacking and hunting remote areas. A bulged disc, too many years of lifting wrong, and getting older now requires some decent padding between me and mother nature. I still love sleeping without any shelter, but an army cot or 2 thermarests are standard issue for me.

Slept in mine last weekend at the musclecar swapmeet with a foamy and a bag, was great, the bottle of rum helped too, gonna order some slider windows though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom