Sleeping in back? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gulp3000 said:
Yep, 17 has a lot to do with that. I did it for years solo backpacking and hunting remote areas. A bulged disc, too many years of lifting wrong, and getting older now requires some decent padding between me and mother nature. I still love sleeping without any shelter, but an army cot or 2 thermarests are standard issue for me.

Ditto. My back has paid for the years of quick and easy. Now I stuff as much padding under me so I can make it to 99 without being completely hunched over. Most nights I'll toss out an allagash cot and sleep on it, but since it's been storming a lot, the roof tent is the winner.

Backpack setup is pretty much a 3/4 thermarest and light down bag.

However you choose sleep, it's good to be out there.

MH_Stevens said:
How do the center seats fold or rear seats be removed for making a bed area in the back of 60? I was going the 80 series route when I found out this is difficult with them.

Mike Stevens

When I buy my HJ-60 VX 1987 have a rear ( 2 ) seats .. that R removables, off course aI did, and sell it after few weeks.

Tapage,

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but WTF do you mean?!?!?!?!?

Originally Posted by Tapage

When I buy my HJ-60 VX 1987 have a rear ( 2 ) seats .. that R removables, off course aI did, and sell it after few weeks.

:beer:

I think:
When he bought his 1987 VX HJ60, it came with the 2 removable rear seats(split design) or third row seats like an 80.
Then he of course removed the seats(back or third row) and either

A)sold the seats or
B)sold the HJ60 without the seats

after a few weeks.

I'm assuming he meant he sold the seats and not a beautiful HJ. :D
Which is it Tapage?

Last edited:
The wife and I used a air matress and a inverter to have all the comforts of home.

Pretty funny to wake up well rested and dry while the rest of our crew was bleary eyed and damp with sore bones.

I was too cheap to buy the 60 tent cover from MAF, so I used a 10x12 blue tarp and some bungee straps for privacy and sun shade. You can always roll down the rear windows or leave the rear hatch open for ventilation.

majanrk said:
I built a raised platform for the back of mine. Goes over the wheel wells so you have more side to side room. Also handy for storing stuff underneath. I cut some screen and tape it to the outside of the door so I can leave the windows open and keep the bugs out. I also carry everything in rubbermaid containers. That way I don't have to worry about leaving stuff out overnight.

I had thought about doing this also but couldnt think of a good way... feel like blessing us with a pic or 2?

LoveTractor said:
I think:
When he bought his 1987 VX HJ60, it came with the 2 removable rear seats(split design) or third row seats like an 80.
Then he of course removed the seats(back or third row) and either

A)sold the seats or
B)sold the HJ60 without the seats

after a few weeks.

I'm assuming he meant he sold the seats and not a beautiful HJ. :D
Which is it Tapage?

Yesss Love Tractor you are right .. I sold the seats ( too fast and good price, well I thought , 250 USD )

Never miss it .. !

Have spent literally dozens of nights in the back of mine over the years high, dry and warm. Unless it's rainy or snowing, tailgate down as privacy is usually not an issue where I end up.

I too have spent many a night drunk or not in the back of the 62, 6'4" I leave the lower open, use 2 therma rests for 2 people a quilt and pillows, crack windows, have lots of room for water, flashlight gun etc,,dry warm, even at tellico, if it rains, it takes just a minute to change the rear door config

dbl black limo tint is great as a concealer, but awful when backing up at night with the lift gate closed,,

I added more tie down rings, and use the rubbermaid packits too, they fit under my ome lifted 62, so they stay relativlely dry, and I string a tarp from the roof rack to some small oak tree/poles I cut to make a nice side rear cover,,

cdngearhead said:
Slept in mine last weekend at the musclecar swapmeet with a foamy and a bag, was great, the bottle of rum helped too, gonna order some slider windows though

I like foamy beer too. Do I know the bag?

Just got back from camping and first time sleeping in the back. It was pretty nice. I just laid 2 sleeping bags underneath and one on top. I wish I had a pillow though because my neck was about broke in the morning. What size mattress do /i use for the back, that will fit with the tailgate closed? thanks

On Accommodating Four

So far I have done two camping trips that involved sleeping in the back. The first one was two 5'7" and one 6' persons in the back, way too cramp due to the wheel wells and my friend being 6’. Thus I bought a couple sheets of plywood, some L-brackets, enough 4”x4” for 11 one-foot tall legs, some self-taping screws, some T-nuts, and some winged-nuts. The bed system is comprised of a permanent rear platform with a removable front platform. The total length is six feet while the width is 4’6” at the front platform and 4’8” at the rear platform. The front platform has receiving T-nuts as the wing-nuts are pushed through the L-bracket (that’s on the leg) and screwed into the T-nuts. The tubes of insulation foam made the system wedge itself nicely inside the vehicle. We hear no rattles from the platforms. The system was tested over New Years over a span of four nights at Death Valley a few weeks ago with a total of four people. The head-head-head-head arrangement on night-one showed that it is infeasible for all four people to lay flat at the same time. However, by night-two, the head-toe-head-toe arrangement allowed for everyone to rest flat. We stowed heavy and seldom used stuff underneath the rear platform and our sleeping bags, food, and electronic stuff on top of the rear platform. With four people, unloading and loading was easy and two people could set the bed up in five minutes. I enjoy the permanent rear platform (which is removable within half an hour) during the non-camping drives as it allows for a little more privacy for storing items, and it increases storage space. I'm new to posting on ih8mud, and I seem to have a very limited quota on upload size. I've prepared three photos, but only has room for one. X
bjean_bed1_b.JPG

This is my first year with my 60, I really enjoyed sleeping in the back of my 60. Probably the best nights sleep I have had Hunting in years. I think the best part of it all was sitting drinking a beer :beer: watching my buddies set up their tent.

After hunting for three days of a 5 day week it was also nice to take a nice warm shower (via onboard shower) then crawling into my dust free bed that night.

It was funny first night my buddies were calling me a wussy, but by the end of the week they had all asked to use the shower. Now one of them owns a 62 for hunting. :)

PP

The wife and I used a air matress and a inverter to have all the comforts of home.

Pretty funny to wake up well rested and dry while the rest of our crew was bleary eyed and damp with sore bones.

I was too cheap to buy the 60 tent cover from MAF, so I used a 10x12 blue tarp and some bungee straps for privacy and sun shade. You can always roll down the rear windows or leave the rear hatch open for ventilation.
i'm with you , plus building a tarp city is half the of camping.

Rredfj40, Nice camp site. That will be us one day. Beautiful pic.

i am still trying to figure out an easy sleeping arangement in my 60 i have a sub box holding 3 12's and also have my onboard air in back with a 5 gallon tank. not to mention my storage box that has tools chains straps ect in it. would like to configure it all to where minimal moving is required and i can still fit myself (6,2") and a sleeping bag and pillow w/o opening any doors as to hide from rain.

i am still trying to figure out an easy sleeping arangement in my 60 i have a sub box holding 3 12's and also have my onboard air in back with a 5 gallon tank. not to mention my storage box that has tools chains straps ect in it. would like to configure it all to where minimal moving is required and i can still fit myself (6,2") and a sleeping bag and pillow w/o opening any doors as to hide from rain.

You will need to decide what your cruiser is going to be used for then make the decision. I used to have 2 12's in the back but after I started offroading more they were removed quickly. (I have considered putting a box for 1 12 on the side in the beck, behind the wheelwell. There are pics on MUD somewhere.) Still have the tunes and have the space!!

Just a consideration for you. I would get a different tank or maybe work one into your sliders or bumpers?

Found these ....

Found these pics somewhere.... hope posters don't mind ... (notice the drop down curtain thingies.....)
:cheers:

Last edited:
You will need to decide what your cruiser is going to be used for then make the decision. I used to have 2 12's in the back but after I started offroading more they were removed quickly. (I have considered putting a box for 1 12 on the side in the beck, behind the wheelwell. There are pics on MUD somewhere.) Still have the tunes and have the space!!

Just a consideration for you. I would get a different tank or maybe work one into your sliders or bumpers?

yes, get rid of subs!
me and the :princess: got into a pretty nasty fight once, er twice. Took off with the dog and slept on the road for a night. I'm 6' and my 80 lb. GS slept right next to me...sideways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom