Sleeping in a stock rig, no drawers, all seats? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eicca

Professional Noob
Threads
I've done this before, simply folded up all the seats and put and air mattress in the back recliner style, and it worked quite well until the air mattress deflated in the middle of the night :doh:

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has come up with some thing better and preferably flatter. No, I don't have a drawer set (weak, I know), and the seats need to stay in the vehicle. It's our family mass-people-hauling backup vehicle.

Camping Friday, hope it'll work well.

:beer:

I like using an old futon mattress. I have a 6" thick one that works great. It is a little big here and there but overall it works good. It doesn't fold up like an air mattress but it doesn't deflate like one either.

get a new air mattress

Ive been looking for one of those 6-8" thick yellow foam deals but cant seem to find a free one.

D

I'm 5' 7" and even with the 2nd row folded forward I have to sleep caddy corner. Not enough room.

Maybe if I got a really thick mattress on top of the seats half folded?

Oh hey, anyone slept in the front seats? Like, lean them back? Is that recommended?

I just unbolt on of the second row seats and do the fold out the way thing on the 3rd row. Thermarest mattress and you're good to go! It takes all of 5 minutes to remove that one seat.

No matter how many people you're hauling, once you're ready to camp, pull the second row seats and stow them outside somewhere; takes all of five minutes.

Get some totes that are the same height as the 2nd row seats folded. When you're travelling, they hold all your stuff. Also, have some pre-cut chunks of plywood that are roughly the size of the matress you'll be using, but in small enough sections that when you're travelling they stack nicely in the cargo area. When you want to sleep spread the totes out in the cargo area, put the plywood on top and viola, you have a sleeping platform.

I don't have pics, but that's going to be my setup for this season.

Look into the SUV tents. You lift the lift/tailgate open, and it encloses it.

Suv Tent, Mini Van Tents and Tents for SUVs

Very slick, and you have plenty of room since the lift/tail gates are open. A local mudder has one, and it works very well.

Remove the 2nd row for the trip. Two kids in the 3rd row for driving, then fold the 3rd row seats and you've got over 7 feet of floor with the hatch shut. Toss a duffle or similar in the 2nd row footwells to level things. I'll be doing this for a week soon.

DougM

buy a roof top tent. You can store all the crap in the truck and sleep above it. Done

Heh, call me old fashioned, but I use a tent. The kind that sits on the ground.

In the past I've taken a tarp and closed it in the hatch, and let it hang down over the open tailgate, plenty of leg room that way

So much good stuff. I'll mess with a bunch of these ideas tonight. Thanks for all the input

Heh, call me old fashioned, but I use a tent. The kind that sits on the ground.

2X

A few advantages to a simple tent:
1. Depending on the tent, it SETS UP FASTER. No kidding.
2. Cheaper - for less money than a roof top or expanda-yute tailgate thing you can have a -great- tent.
3. You can set up camp, then drive around, without de-camping.
4. You can keep the stuff you aren't using that night in your truck - i.e. not have to completely unpack it to go to sleep and repack in the morning.

My favorite tents are the Eureka Timberline series. They're the same ones that many many Boy Scout troops use.
-I have the 2 man, 4 man and 6 man versions.
-All of them can be set up solo, in the dark, in the rain, in under 10 minutes.
-They're simple enough that you can hand one to a 10 year old kid and say, 'go set that up,' and they can figure it out on their own.
-I have never gotten wet in one.
-I've ridden out a lot of storms in them, including 60mph+ winds.
-I've had the 2 man one since 1989 and it isn't worn out. Yeah, that is 20+ years.

My least favorite tent is a Coleman 6-7 man cabin tent I mistakenly bought 2 years ago. It takes 2 people and 30 minutes of arguing to set that one up. Then it blew down in a 30mph gust.

IMHO YMMV

My favorite tents are the Eureka Timberline series. They're the same ones that many many Boy Scout troops use.
-I have the 2 man, 4 man and 6 man versions.
-All of them can be set up solo, in the dark, in the rain, in under 10 minutes.
-They're simple enough that you can hand one to a 10 year old kid and say, 'go set that up,' and they can figure it out on their own.
-I have never gotten wet in one.
-I've ridden out a lot of storms in them, including 60mph+ winds.
-I've had the 2 man one since 1989 and it isn't worn out. Yeah, that is 20+ years.

I'm with you on the Timberline. I've got the 4 man, and I love it. Like all tents, they are a little under-rated especially with gear. I think the 4 man fits 2 really well especially if you have bags or other things you need in the tent. They are easy to set up, and it has yet to fail me!

-TT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom