Slee light harness and DRLs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently installed Slee's light harness and have now lost my DRLs. I want my DRLs back. Anyone else experience this, or know how to fix it?

Karl

I recently installed Slee's light harness and have now lost my DRLs. I want my DRLs back. Anyone else experience this, or know how to fix it?

Karl

shouldn't make a difference. The way the harness works is it uses the 12v from one of the original lights to trigger the relay to turn on the lights. You know that the two black wires go to 12v right.

Its a Canadian LX, and they have DRLs.

That was my thought too Landtank. I have the two black wires going to 12V, and the grounds are all good. The highs and lows work fine, its just the DRLs that don't work.

BTW, I tried some Leffe the other night. It was good, but I the preferred Tripel. Thanks for leading me down another beer path.

Typically what Toyota did to create DLR, per my understanding is they use the hi-beam bulbs, but the bulbs are connected in series. When in normal headlight/hi-beam use, the bulbs are disconnected from each other and operate seperately, just like the U.S. spec models, which is why your Slee harness operates normally with headlights and hi-beams turned on normally.

In DLR mode, power is typically fed to one high-beam bulb, which then feeds the other bulb on the other side via a junction wire. This basically halves the light output of both hi-beam bulbs. At least this is how I understand it.

I'll bet what is happening is the DLR is feeding power to the unused hi-beam plug on the passenger side and its just going nowhere, since that plug is not plugged in to any bulb.

If it actually did provide a signal to the stock hi-beam socket that powers the Slee Relay, you'd end up with both hi-beams operating at full power whenever the DLR was suppose to be on anyway and that wouldn't be good either.

Basically, I can't see anyway for the DLR to work with the Slee Harness. At least as intended by the DLR system. If I'm understanding this correctly, the DLR specificly needs the hi-beams
to be plugged into the stock light sockets to work properly.

If your headlights have the auto on/off feature, like the U.S. spec models do, then you should just be able to leave the headlights turned on all the time and they'll turn on with the ignition and turn off with the ignition turned off and the driver's door opened up. Then you'll have some sort of DRL and not have to the think about it.

You might be able to get away with running your low beams with the Slee harness and at least benefit from the harness with the your low beams and run your hi-beams with the stock harness and then your DRLs might work properly. That should just be a matter of unplugging the Slee harness from the driver's side hi-beam socket and plugging both hi-beam lights back into the stock hi-beam sockets.

That's the only solution I can think of.

Last edited:
I just wired up a few relays to make the low beams come on automatically. Made a harness out of it. It plugs right into where the headlight relay usually goes.

Even works with the Slee harness.

Thanks for the input. I have been using the auto-lights feature to make up for the missing DRLs. In light of this information I resorted to reading my EWD. The Canadian version takes 6 pages, and the American version takes 2 pages. Brian's explanation is a simplified version of what the Canadian DRLs do. There are a total of 3 relays controling the DRLs. One them (the main one) is more more like a mini ecu in that, from what I can tell, because it regulates voltage too. The left and right headlights do operate in series, but the main relay drops voltage even further to give the lights 20% of the voltage they would would normally get. As well, there is a little bit of logic in the set up. If the truck is started with the e-brake on, the DRLs don't light; however, once the e-brake is disengaged the e-brake will not turn the DRLs off again.

Hmm, I am quite lazy, but also very stubborn. I agree with Brian, there does not appear to be any easy way to make the DRLs work with your harness Christo. Like Brian mentioned, if I try to use it I will full on hi beams no matter what.

There may be a hardly used Slee harness for sale soon.

Thanks Gents.

Karl

I used the Canadian Tire kit to get DRLs for my inspection. A few weeks later I took it all out as I didn't like the noise the control box was making. I just use my headlights when I think visibility isn't great. Since I don't have any annual inspections or the like it's not a problem. If you want the kit (slightly used) you can have it for the cost of shipping, but you can probably rig up something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom