Slee HL Wiring Harness Fit and Corrosion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my Deere headlight bulbs out from the 80 and put them in the Camry.
When doing so, I see water got in the plug that goes into the bulb.
THere is corrosion in the plug.
Its not bad yet but it needs to be cleaned (if possible) or replaced.
Is there a way to replace the end?

When I installed the harness, I thought it was not a tight seal but the rubber looked like it would seal BUT it didn't.
Should I/ Can I put dielectric grease on the plugs to keep water out?

Mine stopped working all together from corrosion. The terminals need to be replaced. So I went back to the stock wiring.

Regards

Alvaro

Clean it out and use a healthy dose of dielectric grease... That should stop it.

Whenever I seperate an underhood/exterior connection, it gets some dielectric grease. No reason not too.

Does the poor fit result from using the John Deer bulbs or is it inherent with the harness connector? Is the part of the bulb that connects to the plug a different shape than stock plugs?

I would say that the conectors on the harness are the problem. The harness's headlight conectors are not waterproof. I would say the factory harness is superior in this area.
It does not take much to fix the issue. A small amount of "liquid electrical tape" on the end of the connectors and dielectric grease in the connector will solve the problem.

Thanks for this thread guys!

I just installed the Slee Harness and questioned those connectors when installing it. I did i go along with the install and was most impressed with the results. I will most likely end up "Modifying" it and replacing those connectors with waterproof ones.

Anyone know where to buy these connectors seperately?

Other then the connectors, the harness is top notch!

Another question/concern i had was, what about the stock connectors? What did you all do when you dissconnected them? Did you do something to prevent corrosion and from debris getting in the plugs or did you leave them dangling?

Thanks

OK, we have not seen the corrosion locally, but then we do not have a huge problem with it. As for the plugs. Right now, they are the only ones we can locate. I would agree that the 80 series ones are superior, just not available. The ones we have are the same as what is used on Gm style vehicles that use 9005/9006 bulbs.

I will add the comment about die-electric grease to the install instructions. We do have replacement ends. So anyone with this problem please call or email and will send out some new ones.

Thanks Christo,
Could one somehow use the OEM plug on the end of the harness?

landtoy80 said:
Thanks Christo,
Could one somehow use the OEM plug on the end of the harness?

Could order the repair pigtails from C-Dan?

Tools R Us said:
Could order the repair pigtails from C-Dan?

maybe but then you are back to smaller sized wiring.

Hi Guys,
I've been reading the posts and just to put my two cents in, I was on a Ford forum for my F150 and did the same thing as slee but did a home made harness using 12 gauge, 2 relays,
and a couple of 30 amp fuse block. Probably spent 20$ for the whole shebang, but to save money, instead of buying new bulb holders, I pulled the old plugs out and soldered the heavier gage wire directly to them. Works fantastic. I have not yet looked at the bulb holders in this LX450 yet though. Does anybody know if this can be done? I've got a slee on order. :beer:

Yes, I will pull my old one out and buy another newer one. At least Slee is standing behind the fixes for the old harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom