Slee 6" Springs more lift than J's and 1.5" spacers?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
Exactly what the title says. I just purchased Slee's 6" springs that are going to replace my dad's current set up which is OME J's with 1.5" spacers. I was wondering and hoping if anyone knew if the there would be a real visiable difference in height when I install the 6" slee's? I mean, that is why I obviuosly purchased them for more lift.... I am thinking maybe to add the spacers on top of the Slee's, that would be sick!!!!:cool: . We will be doing the install on friday and will post pics of the height difference..

J's are good for 3-3.5 inches so you should gain an inch or so. How do you plan to correct castor and driveline vibration?

my fathers cruiser actually has all the slee goodies on it already installed( upper rear control arms, front control arms, double cardon front drive shaft, etc.). It is basically a direct swap. What he does not have is a rear double cardon drive shaft, but I think he will not need that since it does not come in slee's 6" lift kit, but every cruiser is different, we will have to wait and see...

What you get for lift is going to depend on the trucks weight, measure the lift hub center to flare before and after and post up! If you can get the truck weighed that would be a good data point too.

How about J's with portal (portaltek) axles?

Making me rethink a 6".

You may find the truck a little more twitchy, and need to add wheel spacers or go to a 10 inch wide rim to help off set the longer springs. The spring and spacer is a good lift and firm from side to side. Where the full spring has more flex ablity with the longer spring. I found when I went from a spring and spacer to a full spring, better flex on the trail and more clearence. (but I did only have the 850/864 with 1.5 spacers). Handling sucked until I went with a 1" spacer. I would bet you will have some difference in height, more not a whole lot but more. good luck robbie

sitting next to Kevin's truck we are about the same in the front and I am 1" higher or so in the front. The slee springs sit level unlike the OME ones that are rear high. So I would say that you would get 1/2 in the rear and 1-1 1/2 in the front. I am running 1.25" spacers but mainly because the wheel stuff better in the rear with the spacers.

I thought the overal lift with J and 1.5" spacer are close to 5" and with slee close to 6" ( if you carry regular weight in your TLC )

Yes...but J's are always somewhat stink buggish

What about J's in the front and 863 heavies in the rear?

i currently have 863 heavys in the rear and 850 heavys in the front and i have big time stink bug, EVEN with the 1" (actually 3/4" if that) mr gasket spacers!

Last edited:
Boston Mangler said:
What about J's in the front and 963 heavies in the rear?...

Works very well... ;)

troy_450.jpe

EDIT: Do you mean OME 863 in the rear? OME 963 has a much lower spring rate (softer)

Yes, i meant 863

Sorry for the typo!

That is what that rig in that pic has? What did he do for caster? I have the 850s in the front with the spacer and have my bushing installed to that. I am thinking if i install the j's that i should be pretty darn close! no?

Boston Mangler said:
Yes, i meant 863

Sorry for the typo!

That is what that rig in that pic has? What did he do for caster? I have the 850s in the front with the spacer and have my bushing installed to that. I am thinking if i install the j's that i should be pretty darn close! no?

He is running the OME CA77B, nothing else. He absolutely loves the setup. There are ~5 local club guys here that we have setup with the exact same setup as to level the front with a ARB/winch setup.

You should be pretty close with the J & no Mr.Gasket, mabey add 10-15mm of trim spacers after you have set it up to level things exactly.

I am pretty sure this truck is running the exact same setup (he changes so often I can never remember :D)

attachment.php

Boston Mangler said:
Thanks Kurt!

The OME CA77B is the caster bushing kit right?

Yup, just the standard Old Man Emu caster bushing kit... :D

850J and 863 is close to level in an unloaded vehicle. When you get a couple hunded pounds of junk in the back and some passengers, all of the sudden your ass is dragging. That was my experience. I don't think it's possible to spring an 80 in a manner where it is somewhat level in both loaded and unloaded states. I opted for 850J/864 so that I am level when fully loaded as opposed to dragging ass. When unloaded I have a rake angle similar to a stock vehicle.

cruiserdan said:
850J and 863 is close to level in an unloaded vehicle. When you get a couple hunded pounds of junk in the back and some passengers, all of the sudden your ass is dragging. That was my experience. I don't think it's possible to spring an 80 in a manner where it is somewhat level in both loaded and unloaded states. I opted for 850J/864 so that I am level when fully loaded as opposed to dragging ass. When unloaded I have a rake angle similar to a stock vehicle.

Very good point Dan. It is hard to cater to both setups (loaded/unloaded) on the same springs, trade-offs.

On a side note, I am interested to hear how you like your 864's in the rear... We put some in the rear of a guys 80 last year as he tows a trailer on a regular basis in addition to constant gear on the back... He has been very happy with them, but doesn't care of the unloaded ride at all... Your thoughts?

Various spring rates for the masses :D
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_OME_coils.html

:zilla: thread Jacked :D

Kurt that is one of those "your mileage may vary" questions.

I happen to like my set-up but I'm sure it's not for everyone or maybe even very many. My vehicle weighs 6,200 lbs when it's "empty". It is fitted with Slee front and rear bumpers, Hanna sliders, a blower, a winch, heavy OEM steel wheels and 305 tires, OEM subtank and there is an habitual hundred pounds of crap in the back that never leaves. So, I already have a leg up on the "harshness" 864 springs can exibit. As described above is how I usually glide around. I do not feel that the ride is harsh but it is absolutely stiffer than the vehicle was when I drove it home new. I like the way it feels. That being said, my other vehicle is an older Dodge 1 ton 4WD crew cab with a Cummins so just about anything else on the planet would ride better...:rolleyes:

When fully loaded with our boat (300 lb tongue weight) and a week's worth of gear, beer, ice and food for Lake Powell (don't forget the canoe on the roof :doh: ) the vehicle sits almost dead-level and "feels" competent about handling the load.

D-

cruiserdan said:
Kurt that is one of those "your mileage may vary" questions....

Thanks for the feedback Dan, sounds like the 864's are a great spring for your appliation! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom