Slee 4" vs Slinky 75mm Thoughts or Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to decide on the lift I want. I don't have any experience with the Slee 4" but everything I have ordered from them has been top notch product. I have read a lot of good things on the slinky suspension as well. Does anyone have experience with both and willing to comment? Looking to buy one or the other very soon.

Kirk

You are looking at 4" vs 3"
75mm=3"

When you get to 4" you start having a lot of problems (which can be easily resolved by spending a whole lot more money) with driveline vibrations, caster plates, adjustable panhards, DC shafts, etc.

At 3" you don't have that problem.

What is the purpose of your build? Looks vs function?

I've had two 80's W/ Slee full 6" kits but used 4" springs. Kit has the Slee front control arms and DC front shaft. I love the setup both on and off road. I test drove a rig setup w/ Slinky 75mm & Icon shocks on road and it was definitely a little more loosey-goosey at hwy speeds and that was without a load in the back. I can't verify but the owner said it flexed way more than his OME setup and said it was more comparable to his long armed Wrangler... He didn't have any experience with the Slee setup so he couldn't compare.

Looking to run 37's for overland/trail riding and still have the ability to go on the more difficult trails when I want. I really like what I have heard about the flex on the slinky but have not experience with the slee setup. Not crazy about it being loosey-goosey at highway speeds though if that is the case.

What you really need to look at in each setup is the spring rate for your setup and the amount of maximum shock travel. These are the biggest differences.

Though I don’t have a dog in the race either way, I have been happy with the 4” lift I have using a hodge-podge mixup with OME springs and 37’s.

That said, the Slee lift gives you most of the necessary items needed to run a successful setup without throwing money at future issues.

I think it's important to note slinky has two very different kits, one with a 2" shock at all four corners and one with a 2.5" shock with all the trimmings. The difference is in shock oil volume. The 2.5 holds 150% of what the 2.0 does. The slinky kits have the 4-6" lift shocks from icon, with 11.75" of shock travel. The 0-3" shocks direct from icon have 11.24" of shock travel with abbot more up travel and the difference in down travel. These numbers are similar the the OME-L's, Dobinsons, and some others out there.

Slee has been in the business a very long time, and he's cornered the market on 4-6" of lift. I don't think I've read a dissatisfied review on his stuff anywhere on the net.

Granted this was back in 2005, but I did a moderate trail in the Sierras with a guy that had just put a 4" Slee and 35s on his 80. My 80 still had the stock suspension at the time.

It really stuck out to me how stiff his 80 was going over obstacles compared to mine. My suspension articulated over things much easier than his. His rig pitched harder than mine.

That is Slinky's claim to fame, it can carry ridiculous amounts of weight AND flex off road. I haven't experienced it personally, but that's what everyone who has ridden in it says.

I am not nearly as worried about maximum flex as I am smoothing the bumps as much as possible in places like Moab. Word is there is nothing better than Slinky for that.

I have been impressed the Darren (@AutoCraft Aus) seems to have spent more time tweaking and refining his setup than anyone else. To the point of a different rear swaybar and changing the knuckle angle for optimum handling.

Slee make some of the best product available with their name on it, and a great USA success story in the Toyota world over the years, continuing to grow and grow through design, implementation, hard work and quality product, even through the 2000's USA financial down turn.

We bring in Slee products to Aus because they are the best we can find for protection, bumpers etc compared to what else is available here.

To work out what your after ideally, is the way to decide what may be best for your application.

Do you want extra height?

Extra weight carrying?

Adjustable shocks ?

2.0 or 2.5s ?

Both use good quality products so long term life wont be an issue.

Once you have an overall view of what your actual requirement is, you can choose the right option for your use, as each package has its own features and benefits that are different to each other, so comes back to personal choice, and requirement really.

Does anybody know if Slinky has a 4inch spring set?

I am looking for a softer ride and not so stiff. I want to keep my 4 inch lift since I have Fox shocks that are for 4 inches and 35's I want to replace my old TJM 3 inch springs with 1 inch spacers. Was looking at Slee springs but also on the fence about the Slinkys.

Looking to run 37's for overland/trail riding and still have the ability to go on the more difficult trails when I want. I really like what I have heard about the flex on the slinky but have not experience with the slee setup. Not crazy about it being loosey-goosey at highway speeds though if that is the case.
My experience has been that wheeling the more difficult trails and overlanding are two pretty different activities. A rig that is setup to do both will work, but each activity will suffer from the compromise.

I am running the 3.5" tapered Dobinsons up front and OME heavies in the rear. That put me right at 4" of lift. I am not super heavy either. Shortbus, winch, and dual batteries up front and light load in the cargo area. I plan to go to something softer in the back, but honestly, it rides really good, doesn't sway much and drives really well down the highway and off road so I haven't convinced myself the 863's have to go. I am using the Dobinsons standard yellow shocks. I would do it all again for sure.

Last edited:
Slee 4” springs and Delta bracket was a night and day difference compared to the OME J springs. I still used the same shocks. Less body roll and smoother overall. Loaded or unloaded.

Slee 4 inch lift is a complete lift with everything required to get your 80 back into proper configuration when lifting it 4 inches. It is my second lift and is far superior to the 3.5 inch lift I was running previously.

I run slinky stage 4 75mm Extra HD suspension on my Cummins with 37’s and stage 5 75mm HD suspension on my LX450. I have run numerous setups over the years, and nothing I have owned or ridden in compares to these two slinky setups I now have.

I run slinky stage 4 75mm Extra HD suspension on my Cummins with 37’s and stage 5 75mm HD suspension on my LX450. I have run numerous setups over the years, and nothing I have owned or ridden in compares to these two slinky setups I now have.

With 37's Are you running a 1 inch spacer to bring your lift up to 4inches?

With 37's Are you running a 1 inch spacer to bring your lift up to 4inches?
I have EHD springs in the rear to account for my super fat pig that if you aren't super heavy would bring you to 4" . You don't need a spacer to run 37's with the slinky kit, but to are a few things that I would recommend. Lowering bump stops, moving front axle forward 1" and replacing fron inner fender bolts with button head bolts.

Dont forget Dobinson has a 4" Flexi coils if you are bent on a 4" lift, Nay has that set up. But l personaly believe a 3" lift can do anything a 4" can with 315s.
Dual rate coils are the way to go...

Can you please explain what stage 5 offers above stage 4? And help us understand the differences on and offroad?

Can you please explain what stage 5 offers above stage 4? And help us understand the differences on and offroad?
Stage 4 shocks are 2.5" remote resi's with a CDCV adjustable valve, giving you 10 different compression settings to select depending on the terrain, driving speeds and weight you have. There is also a bump zone built into these shocks.

Stage 5 shocks are 2.5" remote resi's with dual bypasses, which allow you to adjust both compression and rebound settings. These shocks take more work to fine tune to your liking since you are playing with both rebound an compression, but nothing else on the market compares.

Both stage 4 and 5 are amazing shocks and I enjoy running them both. I have managed to overrun my 4's a few times with a lot of weight running hard into steep ditches at speed, but have never managed to overrun my 5's yet doing the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom