Slee 4 inch kit vs. J spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I am being fair, I bought what Slee sells and then compared them to what FOR sells. That's how I buy my suspensions as well as others I think. If there was a better shock available for Slee's springs then why doesn't he offer them? It would seem a shock upgrade for his premium springs would be obvious. Why would he hamstring their performance like that?

Anyway, Guppie has narrowed the field to OME or Slee and isn't interested in any other options so like I posted, IMO he should just buy the Slee kit. That way if things go sideways he has one single guy on the hook with no finger pointing.

Slee said he is working on different shocks. If he wasn't, I would be talking to him about Fox's. You need to factor the shock in!

stop it, just stop it and look at me

ok, arguing on the internet is retarded, this pic should sooth everyone.

I think I have made my decision, as I get older I tend to take the easier route, that is obviously a kit, I don't have time to mess around and redo s***, so thanks everyone for the help......

Just wondering ( and after 15 min of really interesting reading here ) why all coil suspension aren't progressive ..?

Variable spring rate seems to me the easy way to warranty a better weight control and handling ..

Here is my little contribution ..

As you see no armour .. 2 3/4 diesel tanks ( main and sub ) rear 315 and old shocks and coils back ( the 3rd row too )

main.php

let me say I'm obsessed with leveled suspension .. ( really hate bug style )

main.php

I'm right now on J front and 863 rear with MAF coil spacers on front .. sure I feel it stiff .. Hope it goes better with planed front and rear bumpers ..

You will be much happier with the Slee 4inch springs. I would also consider the heavy rear 4 inch springs, but then I always seem to have a ton of **** in the back.

I have J's now. I wish I went with the Slee 4". I almost have all the Slee parts, bumpstops, Panhards, sway drop brackets, brake line extensions.

The J's are way to mushy for me. I often carry 4 people, luggage, fridge, plus all the armor.

Sometime this year I'll swap in Slee springs.

This leads to body roll and an uncomfortable squat when climbing a steep hill or a ledge.

Ditto on the above. J's make off camber more exciting.

Not to resurrect the dead, but I’m in a dilemma....

I am currently running a set of 6 inch slee’s in the front and J’s with a 1 inch spacer in the rear. My rig is fully armored and for the most part the J’s have been doing it’s job when wheeling on weekend ventures, loaded up with minimal camping gear. I noticed that with my family and gear the rear squats pretty low.

I am planning on going on a 10 day trip into Colorado and Moab. So it will be heavily loaded down in the rear. I recently purchased a set of 4 inch slee’s for the rear.

So with this thread, I don’t think it was really discussed, but everyone said go with the slee’s without an affirmative answer.

I know that it’s just a 30 minute swap, but I’d rather not waste my time knowing that my current set up works, so why change it. But if I know from other experiences in regards to the “J’s vs Slee’s” please chime in.

If you already have the Slee 6 in front why wouldn’t you go Slee 6 in the rear instead of the 4 inch

Not to resurrect the dead, but I’m in a dilemma....

I am currently running a set of 6 inch slee’s in the front and J’s with a 1 inch spacer in the rear. My rig is fully armored and for the most part the J’s have been doing it’s job when wheeling on weekend ventures, loaded up with minimal camping gear. I noticed that with my family and gear the rear squats pretty low.

I am planning on going on a 10 day trip into Colorado and Moab. So it will be heavily loaded down in the rear. I recently purchased a set of 4 inch slee’s for the rear.

So with this thread, I don’t think it was really discussed, but everyone said go with the slee’s without an affirmative answer.

I know that it’s just a 30 minute swap, but I’d rather not waste my time knowing that my current set up works, so why change it. But if I know from other experiences in regards to the “J’s vs Slee’s” please chime in.

You probably should have gone with the 6" Slee's...

Regardless, the 4" medium Slee's (I have them now and had J's prior) have a much higher spring rate. I'd probably install them with a 2" spacer if you're going to use them. The J's would sag bad for me with any additional weight in the rear.

Only reason I went with the 4’s are that I found a set from a member locally. I wasn’t initially going to pick them up because of the 6/4 difference, but I did notice the front drop another half an inch when I built my labs front bumper compared to my stock with a winch mount cut in, also have dual battery and winch so the front end is pretty heavy. That’s why I thought the 4 inch would work with at 30mm spacer in the rear.

Another reason why I went with the 4’s, I’ve researched photos of the 4’s lift and all seem to have a stink bug look to them, 1 inch higher in the rear. Can those of you that have them confirm?

Last edited:
@cybrstar Yeah I hear you... you can work with spacers and get it level, especially if you've got a heavy front end.

Did you get the heavy or the medium version? I think the heavies give more of a stink bug.

(I got 4" Slee front's and 4" medium rear...I ran the rears with a 1" spacer, and still do). Even when I converted to Dobinsons 4" in the front, I run a 1" spacer to keep it level. But I have a heavy rear bumper and carry a lot of water and fuel.

Okay just installed the slee’s 4 inch spring on my rear with a 30mm spacer. It yielded me the same lift as my 863j’s with the 30 mm spacer.

Here are some measurements:
6BF66A78-E277-4F73-AC81-9822DFC6791C.jpeg

863j’s with 30mm spacer
2C65A9BF-B225-4267-A39F-50C20C697147.jpeg

Ome 1 inch longer
A8E20741-1D38-469C-A2BF-489B7F446CF7.jpeg
8B222115-C534-4F9A-8ABF-55504022D99D.jpeg

641C02A4-90CE-4A14-A9AA-828BC60A4169.jpeg

Slee 4 inch with 30mm spacer.

I did notice that the top portion of the ome fit my spacer better. The slee didn’t want to seat flush. Not a really big issues, but I hope I don’t here the rubber squeaking back there.

Telling by the ride it does feel a little firmer in the rear, but if I were to have a fridge back there, drawers, a toilet(lol)....
And if I had the choice, I would have went with the slee heavies or even stay with the j’s and have the adjustability of firming up the ride with coil air bags.

it's been a while, but when i ordered up my slee 4 inch lift, there were two rear spring options and the one i chose were the progressive heavy spring. I can load mine down with a month of gear and it still rides level.

BD6EF027-0CAC-4BE2-8203-D2F7A9BD3DE7.jpeg
966EFBB7-DDA7-4093-9745-8BBA0DC56CC0.jpeg
4395454D-927E-431D-B411-4450A5FC7E28.jpeg
00B96573-25A4-42AB-B9F5-0E7956D38D24.jpeg
Having just swapped out OME 850J/863J springs for the Slee 4” medium springs I
figured I’d add to the thread to help others trying to decide between the two options presented by the OP.

If you don’t want to read the rest, here are the cliff notes...
If your 80 is light = OME 850J/863J
If your 80 is heavy = Slee 4”

I can tell a HUGE difference in my heavy 80 with the Slee springs. The vehicle is much more controlled and stable.

I did the rear springs (lightly used) a few months ago and drove it like that for a few months. It really stiffened up the rear. The J’s with a rear bumper, sub tank, cargo racks, shelf and fridge proved to be too much weight for the J’s and the sag was apparent and it felt mushy while driving. It sits about an inch higher now. I’ll drive these for awhile to see IF I even need to upgrade to the Slee heavies.

After scoring another good deal on a set of like new Slee front springs, I installed them. Although the free height of the front springs when loaded is nearly identical (pic). Once loaded, the thicker gauge of the Slee spring yields about an inch higher front end with an ARB, Warn M12000 & a 2nd battery.

Keep in mind that I had always planned to get the Slee’s and that I used the J springs only as a bandaid until I could get the Slee springs. So I already had the 80 set up for a 4” lift and had previously installed the following; Landtank’s caster plates, double cardon front drive shaft, rear longer control arms, Slee extended brake lines, front & rear adjustable panhards, Metaltech front sway bar spacers & Landtank extended rear sway bar links.

You may or may not need all of the items above and more depending on your particular situation.

I.e. I still need to add bump stop spacers.
Just need to flex it out first and measure exactly what size I’ll need.

View attachment 1791416 View attachment 1791417 View attachment 1791418 View attachment 1791419 Having just swapped out OME 850J/863J springs for the Slee 4” medium springs I
figured I’d add to the thread to help others trying to decide between the two options presented by the OP.

If you don’t want to read the rest, here are the cliff notes...
If your 80 is light = OME 850J/863J
If your 80 is heavy = Slee 4”

I can tell a HUGE difference in my heavy 80 with the Slee springs. The vehicle is much more controlled and stable.

I did the rear springs (lightly used) a few months ago and drove it like that for a few months. It really stiffened up the rear. The J’s with a rear bumper, sub tank, cargo racks, shelf and fridge proved to be too much weight for the J’s and the sag was apparent and it felt mushy while driving. It sits about an inch higher now. I’ll drive these for awhile to see IF I even need to upgrade to the Slee heavies.

After scoring another good deal on a set of like new Slee front springs, I installed them. Although the free height of the front springs when loaded is nearly identical (pic). Once loaded, the thicker gauge of the Slee spring yields about an inch higher front end with an ARB, Warn M12000 & a 2nd battery.

Keep in mind that I had always planned to get the Slee’s and that I used the J springs only as a bandaid until I could get the Slee springs. So I already had the 80 set up for a 4” lift and had previously installed the following; Landtank’s caster plates, double cardon front drive shaft, rear longer control arms, Slee extended brake lines, front & rear adjustable panhards, Metaltech front sway bar spacers & Landtank extended rear sway bar links.

You may or may not need all of the items above and more depending on your particular situation.

I.e. I still need to add bump stop spacers.
Just need to flex it out first and measure exactly what size I’ll need.
Update on my previous post - the Slee mediums were great just not enough to cover all of the weight of rear bumper, sub-tank, cargo carriers, platform, fridge, tailgate storage, Hi-Lift and after adding a heavy dual beadlock rim and 37's, it was just too much. I swapped out the mediums for heavies and am super happy. Much more planted and stable, especially after adding the Delta rear panhard relocation bracket. The rear sits about an inch higher than with the medium springs so approx 2 inches higher than the OME J's with about 120lbs of additional weight.

Update on my previous post - the Slee mediums were great just not enough to cover all of the weight of rear bumper, sub-tank, cargo carriers, platform, fridge, tailgate storage, Hi-Lift and after adding a heavy dual beadlock rim and 37's, it was just too much. I swapped out the mediums for heavies and am super happy. Much more planted and stable, especially after adding the Delta rear panhard relocation bracket. The rear sits about an inch higher than with the medium springs so approx 2 inches higher than the OME J's with about 120lbs of additional weight.
Did you get the Slee heavy progressive spring? Can you post a profile pic?

I did get the progressives but I didn't take any pics of the side by side differences. The heavies have two more windings in them and were just a hair taller and thicker than the mediums that they replaced but they were considerably heavier than the mediums.
Scratch that, I guess I did take a pic. Here is the left side Slee medium and Both heavies.
5F2C7B54-24EB-48ED-8218-D3046F0FBE38.jpeg

I did get the progressives but I didn't take any pics of the side by side differences. The heavies have two more windings in them and were just a hair taller and thicker than the mediums that they replaced but they were considerably heavier than the mediums.
Scratch that, I guess I did take a pic. Here is the left side Slee medium and Both heavies.View attachment 2330348
Actually I asked for a pic of vehicle side with Slee coils installed. I ran a set of Slee heavy progressives coils, that I bought used, about four years and have nothing but good things to say about them other than they lifted my unloaded 80 6”. Curiosity took hold of me and I recently put in a set of rear Dobinson 3” tapered coils with a 30mm spacer to go with the front tapered springs I’ve been running since 2017. Time will tell if I stick with them as I haven’t loaded them up yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom