slave cylinder mount - V8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the middle of my V8 conversion, and need to mount the slave cylinder. I have a Vortec 350 mated to an SM465. I have the AA slave cylinder bracket so I can use the stock Toyota slave cylinder. I can't figure out how to mount the AA bracket to make it work. Does anyone have pics of this particular bracket installed?

R.K.

found a pic of mine not to good tho . top bolt mounts to bellhousing bolt , made a spacer to put between the bellhousing and bracket to ,mount the lower bolt , ,if i can remember correctly i also had to grind the bracket to clear part of the bellhousing . anyways i could go out and take a pic if ya like .?? my bracket was made for the older cast iron bellhousing , modded to fit the aluminum one
IMG_0226 (Medium).JPG

what fork are you using PBGBOTTLE, i took your instructions and bought the low profile clutch you gave me the part number for...

what slave cyl year are you using
what master cyl year are you using
what fork? the cast fork right? is it flat of curved or do ya know what it came off of?

sorry for the hijack but i've heard so many variations of things that do/don't work and comming from a guy who got it to work i thought i'd just mimic your setup.

not sure about the fork but it is the cast flat fork , for slave and master they are both off a 78 fj40 been running this setup for 5 or more years , it does work for me , i'm also using the short TO bearing , have not tried the long one ? i heard there was two different lengths

bandy rooster said:
what fork are you using PBGBOTTLE, i took your instructions and bought the low profile clutch you gave me the part number for...

what fork? the cast fork right? is it flat of curved or do ya know what it came off of?

sorry for the hijack but i've heard so many variations of things that do/don't work and comming from a guy who got it to work i thought i'd just mimic your setup.

my 40 runs stock cruiser slave, made the bracket out of 2x2 angle iron

pbgbottle said:
found a pic of mine not to good tho . top bolt mounts to bellhousing bolt , made a spacer to put between the bellhousing and bracket to ,mount the lower bolt , ,if i can remember correctly i also had to grind the bracket to clear part of the bellhousing . anyways i could go out and take a pic if ya like .?? my bracket was made for the older cast iron bellhousing , modded to fit the aluminum one

Thanks for the pic. Can you post another one, maybe from a little farther back so I can see the entire set-up? Thanks!

nuclearlemon said:
my 40 runs stock cruiser slave, made the bracket out of 2x2 angle iron

Do you have any pics of your bracket? Is it mounted to the bellhousing or the frame?

bandy rooster said:

Bandy Rooster,

I used a stock '77 FJ40 slave, stock '77 FJ40 master, the AA slave mount, AA cast iron arm and stock Chevy throwout bearing (the AA part was too thick for my parts store clutch). The clutch was a stock 12" HD replacement for a '89 Chevy PU. There was an '89 Chevy 350, bolted to a cast iron bell housing which bolted to a AA Ranger (that looked just like a SM465 on the front) all in a '77 FJ40. Ran it for 30K plus miles an no issues. The clutch looked brand new when I parted the truck out.

HTH,
Nick

the only other one i could find . can't take a new one truck is jammed in the garage ,

R.K. said:
Thanks for the pic. Can you post another one, maybe from a little farther back so I can see the entire set-up? Thanks!
IMG_0469 (Small).JPG

Thanks for the pics and info. I see how the bracket is supposed to work. However, after talking to a tech at AA we figured out that the bracket won't work with the style bellhousing I have.

I will have to use the Chevy slave cylinder that was made for this bellhousing. Has anyone used a Chevy slave cylinder with the Toyota master cylinder? I realize we'll probably have to fab a line for it.

R.K.

R.K. said:
Do you have any pics of your bracket? Is it mounted to the bellhousing or the frame?
mounts to the bellhousing. i tried to get a pic, but it's just too cramped in there.

Mine is curved cast fork( thought it was straight but it is not) which puts the fork 1"+ closer to the slave. = more adjustment and movement. Look at the above ( first pic) pic and see where the slave rod is at rest compared to mine. Tons more throw IMO... unless he used a modified ( longer) slave rod.

You can see the AA bracket and stock Toyota slave. My Bellhousing is Chevy cast iron with inspection cover below. BTW.. you cannot change forks with the trans in the vehicle. Ask me how I know.
You can see how far I dropped my slave to get a perfect straight shot at the fork and keep the bleeder on top as Toyota intended.. In stock position I was on a little of angle and lost movement so I dropped the 2 holes down about 1". You really don't need to drop it but I wanted the slave bleeder in up position for easy bleeding. I notice most AA run them upside down. Makes a difference when your trying to bleed that sucker.
I ran the return spring in between the oil filter and rigged up a stiff clutch return spring holder off the frame.
got more pics in you need them.
BTW.. the red tubing is high heat material. The older non rams horn manifolds brought the exhasut right next to the slave hydraulic line. I don't need it now, just havent pulled it off since I went to true rams horns and single exhaust.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom