Slave Cylinder Anomoly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Austin, TX until 8/04 then Chicago, IL until 6/11
Here the deal,

SO a week or so ago ya'll gave me some advice about my slave cylinder. I couldn't feel any pressure when I pushed the clutch in and I couldn't get her into or out of gear. Also, there was dark fluid on the fire wall and on the pedal. Sounds like a slave cylinder, right? I checked the resivior and it was really low so i filled it and a friend helped me purge the air out of it. I did this so I could dirve until the part came in.

THe wierd thing is that it has been 4 days and the level in the resivoir has not gone down at all. I am not loosing any fluid and she is shifting really well.

Here is my question: SHould I change out my slave cylinder? I am not leaking and there is nothing wroing with the cltuch pedal? Let me know what you think. Thanks

Patrick

you talking about the slave cylinder or the clutch master cylinder???? kinda sounds like your talking about the CMC, it might just be a slow leak...i had one for a few months then bam ran out of fluid on the way home and spent 20 miles in 1st gear.....if i were you i would replace both CMC and SC and forget about them both...

lowtideride said:
you talking about the slave cylinder or the clutch master cylinder???? kinda sounds like your talking about the CMC, it might just be a slow leak...i had one for a few months then bam ran out of fluid on the way home and spent 20 miles in 1st gear.....if i were you i would replace both CMC and SC and forget about them both...

yeh definantly sounds like the master not the slave

i have just replaced both my master and slave on my HJ60, took maybe an hour total.

I just got my 60 and took it to a shop for the tranny. They told me the slave was brand new but the master needed replacing. I replaced the master and not the slave and i still have like 2 inches of freeplay. Should i replace the slave too? Even though its practically brand new?

no just adjust the MC....at the pedals...

When you say at the pedal you mean the screw that is on the clutch pedal, right?

Hi cruiserhunter,

I had this problem last month with my 1983 Dyna. I would advise you fit the new slave cylinder, the old one will let you down when you least expect it.

My master cylinder was leaking but eased off. It was grinding when going into gear slightly but not overly bad.

I just changed the whole unit. You may need to change the master cylinder while you are at it or at least buy a seal kit.

Tip to power bleed the system::

Get a container eg: bottle cut the top off, get a windscreen washer pump and connect it to your battery. Connect a longer feed pipe to the pump and submerge the pump into the bottle filled with brake fluid.

Connect the feed pipe to the bleeder on the slave cylinder, when this is done remove the cap on the reservoir and connect the wires of the pump to your battery.

You will see the air bubbles appearing at thr reservoir but it will over flow. At least the Landcruisers reservoir is not inside the cab like in the Dyna!!

This way no air will be putback through the system and it is very quick. This would apply to all bleeding.

Good luck :) :)
ToyotaDyna

I bled my slave today with a My T Vac bought at autozone, 29 bucks. First time bleeding anything; impressed with ease, quality. Makes it a one person job.

Considering the cost of a new slave I would replace it if the existing slave is original or of unknown age. new MS around $150 OEM and slave around $60. I would also do the hose if original.

I like to fix systems. Replace all of the system and file it away as "FIXED" then go on to the next project. it costs more in money now but will save time/frustration later.

I got my master from man-a-frefor $45 and the slave is $29. Man-a-Fre was about the best price i could find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom