Slave clylinder nuts on wrong side of fork?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogcruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
My truck was driving fine until last week when I pushed in on the clutch pedal at a light, heard a sound and my clutch pedal went limp. Had it towed to the shop. They haven’t even looked at it yet so I crawled under underneath and saw this. Is this possible? Did the nuts pop through the hole? ;)

Below is a link to a video I made to send to @cruisermatt but I've bugged him enough recently so I figured I’d post my problems here.

73E92D64-7387-4B0C-B5A9-5122D5B127BE.png

What month/year is your truck?

From the Vid it looks like your Clutch Slave is pissing fluid as well as the adjuster having worn through the fork? I've never seen that before, but I suppose it's possible.

New Clutch Slave and Master (they both seem to go around the same time), as well as new hose is in order, and sort out that shift fork issue.

Im not an expert but it appears that you have a mix and match set of clutch fork and slave.
Old forks had a pass though hole and newer ones were non pass through (more of a dimple/cup)
My bet is that if you change either the fork (harder to do) or master (easier to do) you will fix it....

It’s 1984 FJ60, so it should have the pass-through hole in the fork. I Was planning on replacing master, slave and hose. But I got confused when I looked under there and saw the rod going through the hole with the nuts on the other side.

So likely scenario is that the slave is for newer models and uses a smaller nut that could pop through the home with enough pressure?

Wow! That’s crazy, never seen that before. Threaded slave rod is 80-84

It’s 1984 FJ60, so it should have the pass-through hole in the fork. I Was planning on replacing master, slave and hose. But I got confused when I looked under there and saw the rod going through the hole with the nuts on the other side.

So likely scenario is that the slave is for newer models and uses a smaller nut that could pop through the home with enough pressure?
Best guess. I have a 62 ad put in an H55 so Im not sure what the 60 fork with pass through hole/brake slave arrangement looks like.
Good bet is that whoever put that in mixed and matched, used aftermarket or just pain didn’t know how to assemble it correctly.

The good news is that regardless of cause, this is an easy issue to overcome.

Problem resolved. Slave cylinder (and pushrod) were garbage aftermarket with too small of a acorn nut. Slave bracket broken as well. Clutch fork was fine.

Slave replaced with new OE Aisin, new OEM hose, and missing clutch fork boot. All is well again. off the rollback at 9:15pm, driving again at 11pm :cool:

FF68CE2E-747F-4F04-A472-85502DCED119.jpeg

4F68171D-3C07-4224-AC25-A23BC5D56548.jpeg
6F9A6BF2-0DBC-47E2-A91E-A179435D9EEA.jpeg
8C7B0895-8374-4116-8401-02DD4C21D84E.jpeg
D5D019DF-CB4F-49B0-88D1-810056EEDA98.jpeg

@cruisermatt FTW! So nice to finally have someone familiar with a 60 look at it for a change. Even had parts in stock! If you’re anywhere near the central Florida / Orlando area and need a mechanic it’s worth the drive/tow to get it to him.

Thanks everyone for chiming in with thoughts. And thank you to my father-in-law who still buys AAA Plus for my wife each year. The first 100 miles of towing is free 😁 and I’ve only had to use it 3 times on the 60 this year so far 😐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom