Skreddy’s 71 Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks fantastic! Great motivator for me on my resto/mod kinda project!

I’m just about all done with it, need to install skid plate and front driveline. Took it for its first real drive today, about 50 miles total.Couple hot starts, warm up and cool down; seems to be great. 2 known issues are a sticking reverse light switch and the fuel sending unit doesn’t appear to be working. Other than that, it starts and stops great, doesn’t really wander to speak of, I could easily drive 50 one handed.
I’ll try to get all the last bits sorted this week then, I’ve decided I’m actually going to sell it. Had a feeling I might once I started on it. For how nice this turned out, I just can’t use it the way I want to and I couldn’t bring myself to do the mods I know I want because of how clean and original it was. So I’ll try to drive it a bit and find out any bugs so there’s no surprises for the next owner, then I’ll be on the hunt for another. There’s a few posted in the classifieds right now I’d like to have but need to sell this before buying another.
F7FB21AC-61A5-478E-91DE-25F3C87E62B4.jpeg
263AC347-05D5-4D43-B866-F212D7FD75D9.jpeg
BFD6499D-F119-41D2-9669-EAA12B3150F6.jpeg

Figured out most of my issues today. Few burnt out bulbs, turn signals weren’t working because of bad grounds in the dash indicator lights, fuel sending unit was just stuck down and the reverse light switch seems to have worked itself out. More tuning and driving hopefully in the next week.

If you have the three on the tree, the reverse lights are always a pita with those. I generally have had to clunk it back and forth a couple times to get them to turn on.

Mine is turning on fine, but sticking in once I shift out of reverse. Sprayed some deoxit in there today and worked it a bunch. Seems like it was popping back out on its own after 5 minutes or so.

In case anyone is following this thread but hasn’t seen; it’s posted for sale in the classifieds here. I feel I’ve got the bugs worked out and just a couple minor things left to finish, but I am ready to sell this cruiser and start my search for another.

It's a really beautiful rig, and is close to my heart as another 71 owner. It must be extremely difficult to let it go, but I also understand the limitations of maintaining such a period-correct example. I'm into keeping cosmetics essentially correct, but everything else is fair game.

It is hard to let it go, but I know I won’t use it as I’d like. I want to be able to put an elk in the back without worrying about scratching it from the elk, or the roads in and out. 2 young kids so car seats need to go in the jumpseats and I don’t want to ruin them (these ones) or add provisions for them to such an original. For how I want to use one, I’d like disc fronts, maybe a 2F, sniper, small lift. (Picturing rkymtn’s with a sniper in fashion green or cadet blue). Other than that, look completely stock. I’d even keep a 3 on the tree! I also think there’s enough other people out there that would like one restored, but may not be able to do the work themselves for various reasons, or pay a shop rate to have it done. Being done by an amateur that doesn’t count their labor really brings the price down. Not that these things are cheap anymore. This is my 5th cruiser and I bought this one in pieces for more than I paid for my other 4 combined!
A car seat has been in the back; with numerous towels to protect the seats. Used a ratchet strap (with more towels). I had promised my girls we’d go for ice cream when it was all done
6BB93ED1-0B83-4BD1-9826-6AF393E167EB.jpeg

I'm having an H55 tranny installed currently, and I will eventually get front discs. I have the F engine with all stock carb, exhaust, but an electronic ignition setup because it's just so much more reliable on a cold day. I installed a 2.5" lift Dakar spring and Bilstein shocks by myself in the driveway. I made a stereo system for it and build a rear speaker box that hangs off the inside rear edge of the hard top, and an overhead console that fits in the gap above the hard top in the front. I sealed the top hood air vent shut because (over the course of 25 years) I couldn't keep it from leaking into the cabin even with new paint and new gaskets.

I think that's about it. I probably should invest in a 2F like you say, but it's honestly not underpowered for my use and the F engine is solid. I had a rebuild on the cylinder head and installed hardened valve seals to run without lead additive and everything. It's just fine as is and runs like a top with the OG Aisin and the stock manifold.

I’m really pleased with the F engine and carb in my 71, plenty of power for my use and seems to start well any temp. I venture from sea level to 7000’+ scouting and hunting, that’s why the sniper on my next one.

That's my feeling about it also. I am mostly reacting to most people's advice RE: the better oil circulation of the 2F Vs the F engine. It's supposed to be enough of an improvement to be consequential.

Brake booster was leaking vacuum around the pushrod seal. I was able to get just the seal and it’s all back together and vacuum leak solved. Runs better and more responsive now with proper adjustment.

Was a nice day yesterday so we took the cruiser to a farmers market and to get some lunch with friends: about 60 mile round trip. Got it up to 60 mph or so and some good video of it running, driving and shifting. But….. catastrophe!!!! Not really. The odometer stopped working about 10 miles in, just the tenths would spin. So today I took the cluster apart and cleaned/regressed the odometer bits and tested it out and all number wheels turn as they should. Reset it back to the mileage it stopped at, plus the rest of the distance travelled yesterday (don’t want anyone thinking I’m trying to sell it with fewer miles on it….). A side benefit was getting the high beam indicator socket cleaned up so it works now too. I am so pleased how it drives and runs. Lots of thumbs up and people stopping to talk about it. A few remember their grandpa or dad having one and quite a few “nice jeep” comments. One lady even lightly argued with me that this was not a stock color for jeep in 71. I completely agreed but said it was for a Toyota; “we” had to agree to disagree…. Still had a blast.
12CF04D6-BF39-4ADB-A337-1A485A551CAE.jpeg
5AEE0423-9324-4B90-8F7A-216D65A32368.jpeg

Ya. That doesn’t sound right….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom