Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks nice! For the little bit of cement work I've done over the years, it's hard on the body! I'm glad I never tried doing that for a living.

Now, let's see that new shop put into use with your build.

Don

Hi Don
It looks small but it is 8 yards, 11x54 and yes I am anxious to get it put into use it has been to long with my equipment in containers and tools setting idle.

Well yesterday was the special day, I got the final inspection on my shop. It was a great feeling to bring it to completion and now there are no excuses. This morning I am going to put one of two Coates of cement sealer on the floor so if something is spilled it will keep it from soaking in. In all my travels in life with new construction I have always wanted to seal the shop floor but never done so here we go. First of next week I will be able to start moving in the tools as well as the equiptment with the fork lift as the front cement will had enough time to cure. Pics to follow ...

Hi guys
Got the first coat of sealer on the floor it took about 1 hour and way easy to do. The surprising part is only took 1 1/2 gallons so the coverage is great on this product.
If it is dry I might get another coat on today it is soaking in like crazy. It is amazing how paint products have improved over the years.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got the second coat on this afternoon it was about 80 something it dried quick so I had to keep moving will evaluate it in the morning if I need more Coates. My motto is more is better, may not be the best idea
TNX for following...

SBG
My son recommended this stuff from Home Depot he used it on his floor, it is there top line brand it has gone on way easy and soaks in so I assume it is bonded to the cement. It is 20 bucks a gallon and covers well. My floor is 816 SF and I have used 3 gallons for 2 coats so far, way reasonable. What I like is it doesn't build up and might be slippery just soaks in and gives a slight visual that there is a covering.

This is interesting as I have never had the experience of having a fresh, new concrete floor to work on. I'm interested in pics, and how this works for you spread out over time.

Don

Don my son did his floor that was old, first he rented a floor grinder and cleaned it up then put this stuff down it looks real good also. He did one coat and called it good for him. He does black smithing and has dropped hot metal on his floor with no problems. I put 2 coats and I think Iam going to call it good. Getting anxious to move in next week and get back on the projects. Give this stuff some cure time and the front driveway cement that I just lated
And get going next week.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well the day came yesterday and I started moving into my shop. Took about 4 1/2 months weather, county inspections, and whatever was involved. Showing here is one container emptied and the machinery scattered around where I had it planed to go. Mostly staying where it is in the general location. Are shops ever big enough, not ever but I will have to be happy with what I have 24x34 is going to be fine. Still going to purge more stuff I haven't used or know that I had it tucked away. While I was building my shop I took the plunge to re-engine my red 45 with a 606 Mercedes so it will be nice to get it into the real shop to get it ready for the process, currently front clip is off as well as the bed. Planning to put a new floor in it. Anyhow back out to put a cabinet to gether had to charge the batteries in the screw gun.

All four celling racks are installed, been a great journey sometimes moving slow but the end is near great storage above, this 10 months has seemed like forever but has gone by fast hope the building goes as fast for my
40-45 as well as the 606 mercedes conversion on my 45. Next month it the target date for installation. Have 90% of the parts gathered. Called marlin yesterday for the rebuild kit for the duel reduction boxes. Going to have everything ready to go before I start putting the engine in. Final organization of the tools and away we go.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Coming down the home stretch
image.jpeg

TNX SBG and others
I am getting there hopefully after the 4th I can start getting the floor organized and do my last purge of stuff not needed and move forward to the reason I built the shop and get to work.
Been hot in the low 100s makes it hard to be excited about work.

Last edited:
As you can see I have machinery in place there will be some slight movement to get things just right. In the last pic I have some stuff sitting on the floor that is where the work bench will go, thinking 12-16 feet. Next Tuesday I will start on the air manifold then there will be no excuses. My red 45 is first need to get the engine out and ready for the Mercedes 606 with mechanical IP
Then in sept-October back on the 40-45, this year went by way to fast. Moving building the shop working in between to keep the $ coming however I am a happy boy...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What I like about the hanging shelves is it is in Lou of cabinets. Now I have more floor space and I can see what is up there for future use. Celling is 10' hanging down 36" so they are a spacey 7' from the floor. Most of the stuff is for the 40-45 assembly if you look closely. As for the useful load it will hold 600# per 4x8 section which is nice. Or I could use one for a bed space if I get kicked out do the house always a use for them. BTW I picked them up on a special from Home Depot
For $129 each, Delivered to my house quite the deal.

Last edited:
Costco has in the past had something similar, but don't remember the price. The most important thing I can say for something like those would be to make sure you are solidly mounted into the ceiling joist. Those lag screws are holding a vertical pull. Everything else is in a shear. As long as you get a good grip into the ceiling the holding capacity is real good. If you can get some kind of attachment into the wall, in addition to the ceiling, the vertical strength would be very good.

Don

Ya I hear ya, my same thoughts also I used 3" lag bolts and made sure they were centered in the trusses. Plus I am sure I don't have 600# on them for safety.
Just trying to get moving onto my projects it has been way to long.

My concern isn't the fasteners used to attach the shelves to the ceiling joists, but how much vertical weight the bottom of the trusses can withstand. Any concerns there? I'm not much of a structural engineer, so it's entirely possible that my concerns are unfounded, but I'm always weary of putting significant weight in the attic of my garage (same type of load as the hanging shelves).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom