Builds Skips FJ 35 BUILD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Checked with the truss company before I installed and the guy said being that close to the wall and spread out that far it will be no problem. Also it is on two separate trusses, good to go. TNX for bringing it up a good observation.

I love that fab/welding table on casters. Shop is nice too. Trusses take all the fun out of construction.

Are you still working on your 45? I live around butte city and would like to come by and see it. I am starting one my self. Thanks

Finally got the air system in and going a couple of weeks ago along with another slab of cement in front to extend the approach
7'x 54' I think. After a year and $
Spent I am very happy with the outcome. I am going to build a 16' bench on the south wall from steel tubing and top it with 14 ga sheet metal and then I can call it really done. The pics of the air system are to big so I will take some that are smaller later today.

Last edited:
IMG_0946.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG

Did some welding yesterday started with 2x2 tubing and finished up with a skeleton of my 16'x24"x38" high work bench frame, wanted one all my life. Will have metal index drawers for nuts and bolts the rest of the below area will be used for much needed storage for the good stuff.
Today I am taking my fiberglass roof top to a fiberglass shop and drop it off. Now that 99.9 percent of the shop organization is done let the games begin on the 40-45
Finally after a year of moving building the shop And getting semi organized. Also you can see a portion of the air manifold I highly recommend this system a little pricy but it get a A+ from my end.

Last edited:
YEAH!! Back to cruiser work!

Was over at 4x4 labs visiting Luke the other day, and was able to take a look at a rig he built sometime back. It was nice to see and chat with him. This rig is bullet proof and has been tested many times on the Rubicon by the owner. This is Lukes version of my. 40-45, he calls it his 46 1/2 Kinda got me pumped up. TNX Luke for sharing always fun to visit and see what is going on in your new huge shop...

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

Last edited:
Was over at 4x4 labs visiting Luke the other day, and was able to take a look at a rig he built sometime back. It was nice to see and chat with him. This rig is bullet proof and has been tested many times on the Rubicon by the owner. This is Lukes version of my. 40-45, he calls it his 46 1/2 Kinda got me pumped up. TNX Luke for sharing always fun to visit and see what is going on in your new huge shop...

View attachment 1380127

View attachment 1380131
Ya a nice used rig I hope mine to be the same.

IMG_0128.JPG
Back on the frame now that the shop is done, old pic but give's you the idea. In about a week or so I have scheduled to take it to a frame guy to check it out want it to be right on. It is important that the foundation is correct like building a house. As far as I can tell in cross measurment I am shy of 1/8" of square overall which is real close. Took my time joining the two fj55 frames together to get the 118" wheel base, about the same as my 86 mini truck. Still a little clean up to do grinding welds but very close to dune. Sand blast and paint or powder coat.

IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG

Had my fiberglass top roughed out took it to a fiberglass top shop to hav it put together. Got it back this week and started cleaning it up. Turned out nice fits well so one not thing out of the way. Still work to be done for the finished product but it is well on its way.

Friday of last week I dropped off the frame at the frame shop wanted to make sure that it was all in alignment after joining two 55 frames to get a 118' wheel base. Did some cross checking only one little bit out by 3/16 on one end, all other measurements were dead on, am pleased with using the garage floor, plum bobs and levels to get these results. So on the rack it goes next week and when returned just a few little things to tack on and be ready for assembly after sand blasting to get it clean and paint ready. The move last year sure put a hinderance in the build. Now that the shop is done maybe I can get going a little faster. Going back to work for 8 weeks starting in April to build up a cash reserve to continue this build. Projects are a incenerator that's burns up $ fast.

Friday of last week I dropped off the frame at the frame shop wanted to make sure that it was all in alignment after joining two 55 frames to get a 118' wheel base. Did some cross checking only one little bit out by 3/16 on one end, all other measurements were dead on, am pleased with using the garage floor, plum bobs and levels to get these results. So on the rack it goes next week and when returned just a few little things to tack on and be ready for assembly after sand blasting to get it clean and paint ready. The move last year sure put a hinderance in the build. Now that the shop is done maybe I can get going a little faster. Going back to work for 8 weeks starting in April to build up a cash reserve to continue this build. Projects are a incenerator that's burns up $ fast.
Digging the work, and jealous of the shop. Going to be watching for ideas on my build.

Just got back from the frame shop. The guy said the tolerances were closer than a new car. I saw the print out and am a proud guy all the fussing and time spent payed off. Interesting how the laser and computer print out a picture of the numbers and comparing them. Many of the measurements were 2mm or less, the highest was 4, anyhow his closing comment was you did an excellent job doing it on your garage floor and no frame table, tolerance is 6mm or less. Pics to come later.

IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
The guys at Knockout collision repair in Chico CA did an excellent job at checking out the frame. Went by this Morning and caught them in the middle of tweeking behind the right rear axel that was a bit high 3/16" should be done this afternoon for pickup. Will do depending on availability of my sons 16' flat bed truck. Next I will treat the inside of the frame with fluid film then do the final weld up of the ends. So excited that it came out so nice. Like building a house need to have the foundation right so the rest will follow.

IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG
I picked up my frame yesterday and am amazed at the figures of the finish. The 17th was the first measurement showing that it was pretty close. All I had was the garage floor, Tape measure, and a degree wheel. Not bad for elementary tools to join 2 frames together. The second pic on the 20th is the final adjustment. Zero to six MM is standard limits and if I am looking correctly my largest 4 mm, so to convert it about 150 thousands which is not bad over 15', new cars have higher numbers from the factory. Hope you all can see the numbers, it was a fun part of this project. Now on to finishing up the little bit of welding and grinding and sandblasting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom