Skipping CD Players - Anyone Else Have This Problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the factory AM/FM Cassette in my 1988 FJ62 with a Camry/Avalon double din AM/FM/Cassette/CD player.

I am now on the third radio and all have exhibited the same random skipping problem. At first I thought it was a dirty laser or vibration - No, not with trying three units.

Now I think it is voltage related. One of the radios would skip most of the time if I turned on the lights and mashed the brake pedal. The other two just skip occasionally when I am going straight down a smooth road.

Question - could my alternator be zapping the electrical circuit or causing some odd kind of voltage drop or spike that results in the skipping?

OR - am I just going crazy?

Thanks for any input or thoughts.

I have no issues with skipping in either of my wagons that have that same radio installed in them. I have had to remove the radio and manualy clean the laser to help with skipping issues though, on other systems. The CD laser cleaner simply does not work well. Voltage should not be an issue unless you are operating at less than 10 volts, in which case the radio is the least of your worries.
Gary

How is your suspension. The 60 wasn't designed with delicate CD players in mind. I have an aftermarket JVC head unit that skips quite a bit. I have add-a-leafs in the rear and the truck, when not loaded down, has a pretty rough, bouncy ride.

I've heard that Alpine heads do not skip at all. I remember that people have gone rockcrawling without missing a beat on these.

:beer:

I h ave a Che ap JV C install ed. It did we ll for a about 6 mo nths.

My Clarion will skip on relatively minor bumps dispite the fact that I asked the question when I was looking for it.

gulp3000 said:
I h ave a Che ap JV C install ed. It did we ll for a about 6 mo nths.

That's exactly how long mine played well before it took a crap.

However, my iPod doesn't skip and don't need to change disks. :D

Make sure you have it mounted securely in the rear with a backstrap. And a good quality deck helps alot, (Alpine is my favorite)

I have a Clarion CD changer under the passenger seat but when I'm wheelin' I'm on the Satellite............

It is all stock

My 62 has stock springs, the shackles have been re-bushed but it is at the original worn height. The shocks are stock, about eight months old. The vehicle has 164K miles.

The charge guage appears to act as it should. It will drop to about 12 volts while sitting at a light with the AC, lights and brakes on but normally floats around 16-17 volts. I don't see any other problems like the lights dimming or flickering.

I will agree with the IPod posters - I prefer to use an IPod playing through the FM radio. I llisten to books on tape and they (usually) are a pain to load onto the IPod - the tracking information does not register - so I am trying to play the CDs in the vehicle.

A last resort - I am going to try the separate Toyota radio/cassette and CD units (out of my T100) in the 62 before giving up. If they skip too then I will just use the IPod with the stock 62 AM/FM cassette unit.

GLTHFJ60 said:
I've heard that Alpine heads do not skip at all. I remember that people have gone rockcrawling without missing a beat on these.

:beer:
Correct, this is exactly the case with my alpine unit. Plus the fact that it is a great stereo and not a super cheezy bing stereo either.

im with chitown probably a bumbpy ass ride donig it.
my favorites are pioneer. ive seen people kicking them while playing a cd and by kicking them i mean a deck hooked up but not installed and actually being held up by the cord and being kicked. and no skipping and ive never had a problem with mine either

I've had mixed feelings on JVC. Two out of three decks I bought (all the same model more or less) were good, and the one in my 60 is, well, not so good. The JVC in the Tuffy Console in my old 40 never skipped and you all know how a stock 40 rides. I'd stay away from JVC when you might actually be using the anti-skip features of the deck. Some half-wit at Best Buy told me that Alpine's were the best head units, but had no reasons to back it up. So I didn't think much of it. Seems like the general consensus is to go with an Alpine or Alpine-quality deck.

Worn out springs with 207K on them, ratted out bushings, needs front end rebuild. 4 year old Kenwood never skips. My wifes stock CD in the 00' 4Runner skips more than my old POS.

Hodag

mine is stiff as hell (suspension you pervs) and have a 10 year old sony CD player that never skips unless CD is dirty....though about swithcing to a MP3 player.

I put in a CD changer (Blaupunkt) about 8 years ago. It doesn't skip at all. I have driven down thousands of miles of dirt / gravel roads (I love eastern Oregon) and even at high speeds this thing never skips. It is mounted vertically, which may have a lot to do with it.

Cruzerman
Somewhere near Eugene Oregon

I purchased a Nakamichi in-dash CD for a mid-60's british roadster that I have. I couldn't drive more than 15 ft without it skipping. Later I installed the same unit in my 1984 VW rabbit diesel and it skips just from the vibration at idle. I have a pioneer CD player in my FJ-60 and another one in the british car and I have no skipping problems with either. The FJ-60 will skip occasionally, but I've only had it happen off-highway at particularly rought spots.

My JVC MP3 in dash CD works great. It NEVER skips. In fact I was out today abusing my truck in the rocks and it never skipped a beat.

I was driving a brand new Dodge Stratus rental car last week. The CD would skip while driving on wavy asphalt. I think it has to do with how much of a buffer the unit has. If it can read way ahead, then it has plenty of time to reread if it detects a skip. The Dodge must have had no buffer at all as you could feel the bump right as it skipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom