Skinny tires on skinnier rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I could post this in the 60-series section, but instead of getting advice from random yahoos, i'd rather get advice from yahoos I at least sort of know.
What is the consensus, if there is one, on running 10.5 inch tires on 6 inch rims?

My current tire/wheel setup is 33-10.5-15 on what i'm reasonably sure are 15x8 rims with 3.75 backspacing - bought used from Vince so not positive on measurements. Anyhow, I just bought five new tires, and when I pulled the spare off (first time in 10 years), I find that it is super rusty. Not interested in mounting a brand new tire to a rusty rim, I set out on a quest to figure out exactly what wheel I have. Well you know how these things go, and long story a little shorter, I now want to replace all five with these:
Wheel Vintiques 12-5606358 Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-5606358

I think i'll be find WRT backspacing, but am reading mixed opinions on putting a 10.5 inch tire on a 6 inch rim.
What do you all think?
-Chris

There is an 8" smoothie, but it's 4" of backspace, and I'm pretty sure that's not going to clear my TRE boot.
If you want to give your opinion on spacers, I'll suffer through that as well.

I ran 31x10.5 on 6” wheels when I was young. I see it done all the time with stock wagon wheels.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I'm running 33x10.5x15 on stock rims on the 40, and have had no problems, but it's a relatively light vehicle. I don't worry about it on the highway, but I do think about it when driving in the rocks or turning in soft sand when aired down. I've aired down as low as 8 psi without issue, but I'm not pushing the old girl that hard on or off road. I prefer to air down to 15-18 psi where some go below 12 without hesitation. I suppose I do it to stay on the safe side and avoid rolling the tire off a rim or breaking a bead. Did that twice with the heavier 4Runner, it took years to get that sand out of the bead to stop the tire from losing air and needing a top off every 10 days or so.

I went with the 15 in. x 8 in with 4.00 in. Backspace, (Wheel Vintiques 12-580604 Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-12-580604)
Powdercoated black.
One inch spacers on the front.

PXL_20210627_172622018.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom