Skinned some logs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I cut the trees down last week and they are maple. I selected the trees specifically because one was leaning crooked and was going to fall in the future. The other two were taking away sunshine from a beech tree that I would like to grow large, it has some nice lower horizontal branches.

I'm planning to use these to build a firewood shelter in the spring. So I skinned them with a draw knife. Knife is a two cherries and I have it sharpened really nice with a fine diamond stone.

I was surprised at the speed of the tool and stripped these 5 logs in a weekend, in between hiking and throwing the ball for Bean.

I could not move the largest one, so there it lays untill I can lay it up with the others.
P1010040.JPG
p1010042.JPG
p1010043.JPG

Cherry Beam

I cut this beam from a cherry standing deadwood.

7.5inch x 7.5inch and 13ft long. There are no branches, so it is a good strong beam. I used the sled to skid it down the hill and stored it under the cabin so it can season.
beam 4.JPG
beam 5.JPG
beam 6.JPG

S-W-E-E-T!!! I just place an order for a new bar and a couple of chains for my chainsaw from Baileysonline.com.....Your work beats the H-E-double hockey stiakcs out of my hockey stick cobbles....:clap:

That beam is really nice. If you don't mind me askin, what kind of jig do you have mounted to the saw, do you use a special cross-cut chain, and how do you get the first cut straight?

That beam is really nice. If you don't mind me askin, what kind of jig do you have mounted to the saw, do you use a special cross-cut chain, and how do you get the first cut straight?

HUD-SON chainsaw sawmill lumber maker mill

No special chain...I have a Stihl 310. It is still pretty tricky with the guide. Not to mention hard work. But I like it.

S-W-E-E-T!!! I just place an order for a new bar and a couple of chains for my chainsaw from Baileysonline.com.....Your work beats the H-E-double hockey stiakcs out of my hockey stick cobbles....:clap:

I have been using the same chain for about 3 years, I finally changed it. You can get a lot of life out of them if you know how to sharpen. It is not that hard to do.

I sharpened mine so many times it was down to a minimal amount of metal, so I replaced it.

Shoot, as far as beatin yer work, I have not even made anything yet. Just got some wood ready that is all. I will update when I build something alright.:cheers:

seriously.

my grandfather worked Timber, whole family does still...

very cool.
I dream of doing it for work, but man It is too hard., so I do it for fun:p.

Thanks for the compliment.

I have been using the same chain for about 3 years, I finally changed it. You can get a lot of life out of them if you know how to sharpen. It is not that hard to do.

I sharpened mine so many times it was down to a minimal amount of metal, so I replaced it.

Shoot, as far as beatin yer work, I have not even made anything yet. Just got some wood ready that is all. I will update when I build something alright.:cheers:

Agreed,

I needed a couple more chains so I could always have a few ready....

I grew up logging in Wa. and Idaho. Sure was a big industry then. Nice project and keep up the pics. Makes me wish I was there.

I grew up logging in Wa. and Idaho. Sure was a big industry then. Nice project and keep up the pics. Makes me wish I was there.

Hey I was born in Irving....:cheers:

very impressive.

I now consider myself extra lucky to know somebody with a portable saw mill.

Somehow doing something like that with my saw would probably result in serious blood loss with my luck.

very impressive.

I now consider myself extra lucky to know somebody with a portable saw mill.

Somehow doing something like that with my saw would probably result in serious blood loss with my luck.

Oh what I could do with a mill :rolleyes::idea::hmm:

No budget, yet.

But I got a line on a broad axe. Gonna get it Friday. Should make for a good workout.

Nice work Spud...:cheers:

The draw knife is one of my favorite tools to work with, I use one when I build rustic furniture to take the dimension out of dimensional lumber.

That cherry beam is incredible. No knots, wow!

I've spent more than my fair share of time in the woods of North Idaho, and always hated the standard hand axes we used. Several years ago while at the ACE hardware in Truckee, CA I picked up an axe made by these guys (link below) and noticed its weight and balance were just perfect. I use it as a falling axe for setting wedges and trimming light branches. I can't wait to pickup some of their other axes as I need them.

Gränsfors Bruks

That cherry beam is incredible. No knots, wow!

I've spent more than my fair share of time in the woods of North Idaho, and always hated the standard hand axes we used. Several years ago while at the ACE hardware in Truckee, CA I picked up an axe made by these guys (link below) and noticed its weight and balance were just perfect. I use it as a falling axe for setting wedges and trimming light branches. I can't wait to pickup some of their other axes as I need them.

Gränsfors Bruks

Cool, I just got one of these, a 3.5lb "large splitting axe", just to use for splitting. I took a few swings with it this weekend and it is awesome.

I searched around the net for it, almost everyone had it on backorder. I found one at an obscure backpack website and swooped it up. They said it was the last in stock.

Nice work Spud...:cheers:

The draw knife is one of my favorite tools to work with, I use one when I build rustic furniture to take the dimension out of dimensional lumber.

Once I put a good edge on it, I was surprised at how speedy the tool can be.:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom