Skidplates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lets see what ya'll have fabbed up.

My 40 didn't even have a stock one when i got it. Tired of stressing while wheeling due to not having one.

Gonna order up some plate tomorrow and start fabbin.

What thickness plate would be recommended?

This is temporary, for the summer until I get the SM420 in.

Thanks

A skidplate fit for a Pig...
2004_0706Image0004.JPG

Fixed your engine

Now its not upside down

Last edited:
has anyone ever done a drivetrain lift to take advantage of a flat skid? one might have to do a mild body lift. j/w if anyone has done it

Fixed my engine?!
Man, the internet is great.
Thanks.

Keep em coming, I'm interested in seeing more pice. check out ironpigoffroad.com so see a good example of the one they sell. $325!!!! They use 5/16 steel plate

sc40 said:
has anyone ever done a drivetrain lift to take advantage of a flat skid? one might have to do a mild body lift. j/w if anyone has done it

You would either have to do some major tunnel reconfiguration, or a big body lift in order to get that goal, but it is doable. Nolen runs a flat skid on his buggy Kate, and for what he uses it, HE NEEDS IT! Try doing a thread search on Kate.

Have some stockers...

I have a pile of later 40 plates (75 up, but I think they fit most years) outside my shop if anybody needs one...maybe a 55 or 50 too. These are the stockers...klrtexx at aol if anyone's interested.

I run a flat piece of 3/8" alum for mine, but the clocked Dana-300 t-case makes that possible ;)

When I ran a cruiser case, I used a 1/4" piece of flat steel direct to the frame rails, and used a piece of 10" water pipe to make a "dropout" for the t-case area....damn heavy, but there was zero chance of contacting the t-case.

3/16" with 1/4" bar stock to counter sink the bolt heads. It is fairly heavy, I use a floor jack to put it up and down. All the weight so low has got to help my center of gravity.

gary
IMGP0347 (Small).JPG

1/4" Steel plate. I spaced the passenger side frame rail down with 2x3 stock and had a machine shop with a huge break bend it for me.
DSC00154.JPG
DSC00153.JPG

I just had a new skid plate made after doing the SM465 swap. Not a great picture but gives you an idea of what I have. I've been very happy with it. Local shop "Anarachy Offroad" fabbed it up for me.
After CM I noticed a couple scratches on the plate, maybe I avoided some more serious problems, who knows.

Troy

LIVERUST said:
I just had a new skid plate made after doing the SM465 swap.

Hey Troy, sorry to hijack, but how much lower does that SM465 sit than a stock tranny? I have been reading up on the swap this morning, but nobody mentions it.

I don't know that the SM465 sits much lower than the old 3 speed. The transfer case still sits lower than the tranny. The picture doesn't show the step down but the skid plate is lower under the transfer case/e brake, than under the transmission. It did push the whole assembly back so that my old skid plate wouldn't mount up. Needed to shorten the rear driveline and lengthen the front driveline.

I'm sure there are people out there who know more about the exact dimensions than I do. I'm mechanically disabled, I should get some federal funds to pay for my modifications I think.

Troy

if your runing with the toybox, Marlin makes a nice kit. Just got it.

This is the skid plate...

SK04-05-36.jpg

for the 62-40 RamJet/Th350/Cruiser case project...

ShopKam01-24-04-33.jpg

This is the skeleton of the one protecting the 465/Toybox/Orion in the Orange truck....it has 3/8" plate covering all openings, and has proven to work very well.

Orange-TO-26.jpg

Orange-TO-25.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom