1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skidplate question, bending vs. welding

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by Pinion, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Pinion

Pinion

I found a decent metal yard down the street from my house and I need to build a skidplate for the 40. I know it isnt terribly difficult to make one, but I was more curious as to the strength of it if I were to grind away some of the metal to make my bends (Since I dont have access to a brake), bend the metal and then weld the seam back in where the metal was ground away? I would be using 3/16 plate.

Is the welding going to be as strong or stronger than having it bent up?

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    IMO, if you get a proper bevel in the weld area, it should have no effect on strength...my first skid was pieced/welded, and survived a great deal of abuse...

the critical issue is to ensure it covers everything on the t-case particularly, with mine it was impossible to contact the case directly since it was completely protected - any damage had to be from hitting the driveshafts.

3. Pinion

Pinion

Thanks Woody, thats what I was thinking as well.

4. HI^C

HI^C

got a press?

drain holes with plenty clearence :) along with enough room to get to the driveshaft bolts specifically the front.

5. haystax

haystax

I've bent up tanks and other guards with 3/16" if you want to grind the bevel into the steel that is fine but I just cut a slot with the plasma and leave about an inch of solid plate every 18" or so along the cut line to keep the two pieces together when you bend it - heat the tabs and it bends like tin foil. Makes a nice seam to fill with the MIG and light grinding cleans up the joint very well.

What does everyone do about sealing out brush/grass and mud from the front of the skidplate, especially aroung the exhaust?

Maybe it is just as easy to drop the whole skidplate when servicing the trans and T-case and make sure that all the debris is cleared out each time as it is to measure and line up drain holes - just my thoughts...

6. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I drop mine after every trip to get to the zerks on the u-joints and to inspect for anything "odd"...good excuse to hit with the pressure washer too.