skid plates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just want everyones opinion, do you run the skid plate under crank pully up front, i understand it keeps mud from splaching, but i aslo think it will hold alote of mud, probally grt better cooling without it.

That would be a splash shield, not a skid plate. And yes, I run them on all my rigs. Also helps to catch falling tools and stuff like hose clamps before they hit the mud/sand/snow [take your pick] that you invariably find yourself parked in when the front of the engine requires your attention!

Best

Mark A.

i run one , it's one of the things i love about owning a 40 , for some reason my engine stays pretty clean in mud and water . i think it has to do with the shields .

i doubt it would affect temperatures at all especially at low speed , if you have a stock engine driven fan i would think it would help cooling and removing it would be as bad as removing the fan shroud .

never thought about it that way, it probally does help with the cooling, thanks for the insight

If you really want to keep the engine bay clean of mud/dirt/dust: Run the other two splash guards. One on each side of the engine.

You can also add the rubber shields around the shock openings in the inner fenders. You may have to make them though as I doubt they are still available...

I don't know if they were even available on US imported trucks?
P1020003.jpg
P3280337.jpg
Image1.jpg

If you really want to keep the engine bay clean of mud/dirt/dust: park it in the garage, take it all apart, powdercoat every little piece over the course of 3 years, write a webpage for every mod and fix, and never drive it.

Hey Coolerman, I fixed it for you!

Just kidding! Keep up the good work!

:cheers:

If you really want to keep the engine bay clean of mud/dirt/dust: Run the other two splash guards. One on each side of the engine.

You can also add the rubber shields around the shock openings in the inner fenders. You may have to make them though as I doubt they are still available...

I don't know if they were even available on US imported trucks?

i run both side shields and actually thought about making some boots around the shock towers .

but really the engine stays pretty clean as long as i keep the water level under the headlights .:)

i don't actually care that my engine is clean its more about keeping water and mud away from the intake and distributor .

That would not be near as funny, if it wasn't true.

Throw Webeld in there too but change the word to Anodize.

Yes in on running the splash shields.

I've actually seen Webelk drive his! Granted, it was in the parking lot of his shop, but it did get a few dust specks on it! :D

I helped him out with a couple of issues with his rig and am very queezy about bringing a wrench anywhere near it!

Hey now! :eek: How else would you guys learn anything if all I did was 4-wheel and drive it to work? :grinpimp:

Here is proof that I have driven it... (Uh... it was about 3 years ago...:frown: )

This was right after fixing all the brakes and about the time I decided to do the frame off on it.... ;)
Scan0002.jpg

Hey, that this is a 4x4 !!! :)

Y'know, I don't have any of those splash shields anymore. I'm probably wrong, Toyota probably put them there for a good reason, but they were the second thing I took off. I just like to be able to see and reach my engine from all convenient angles. they just cramped my elbow room. They got in the way.

Where does the splash guard in post 5 go? I know it is somehwere on the passenger side, but cant remember...it is a mind puzzle to me right now....too many things going on at once!

On the frame in front of the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom