Skid Plate Interest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chap79

Wheel. Break. Fix. Repeat.
SILVER Star
Threads
I stopped by Bent Motorsports in San Marcos (where we did the last safety inspection) and spoke to Dave about making some skid plates for the 80 series. Yes, there are multiple vendors currently selling some but shipping can add $100+ due to freight charges. And pursuing a local shop helps our community.

Current plan a bolt on skid plate that protects the transmission pan and transfer case and does not replace the transmission mount. It will be completely bolt on with additional supports both fore and aft and made out of 1/4” steel. Looking at pictures online for ideas with Dave we think this should be very easy to produce.

It would be laser cut, bent, and welded. He mentioned powder coating but I said that I wasn’t interested, painted only.

Price will be determined by the amount of interest. The more units wanted the lower we can get the price, but plan anywhere from $180-280ish.

Jeff has volunteered for the use of his truck for mock up.

Currently interested:

@chap79
@Cruiser Bauers
@SoCalDesertCruiser ?

Anyone else?

Am in!

I stopped by Bent Motorsports in San Marcos (where we did the last safety inspection) and spoke to Dave about making some skid plates for the 80 series. Yes, there are multiple vendors currently selling some but shipping can add $100+ due to freight charges. And pursuing a local shop helps our community.

Current plan a bolt on skid plate that protects the transmission pan and transfer case and does not replace the transmission mount. It will be completely bolt on with additional supports both fore and aft and made out of 1/4” steel. Looking at pictures online for ideas with Dave we think this should be very easy to produce.

It would be laser cut, bent, and welded. He mentioned powder coating but I said that I wasn’t interested, painted only.

Price will be determined by the amount of interest. The more units wanted the lower we can get the price, but plan anywhere from $180-280ish.

Jeff has volunteered for the use of his truck for mock up.

Currently interested:

@chap79
@Cruiser Bauers
@SoCalDesertCruiser ?

Anyone else?
I'm intrested

I am interested as well and have some questions. I would like a skid to be tucked up as much as possible for clearance. I currently have the Slee skid that only protects the transfer case and would like more protection without a ton of weight. The Slee skid also has exposed bolts that can be damaged. Given different varieties of sliders, different transfer cases, different transmissions and differences in exhaust between 1990-91 1992-94 and 1995-97 80's any supports to the frame and drain holes will need to be considered. Having exposed hardware would also be a problem since I have hung up and damaged exposed bolts.

@chap79 and myself have been talking design and I believe we discussed this issue due to maintenance demands and such. Going to meet up with Dave from Bent to discuss start time for some designing and start time on this item tomorrow.

@chap79 I have to laugh at this. Sorry.

We had a conversation once and I remember something along the line of... uhm... NO!!!! :grinpimp:

Will the design be similar to one we talked about? The name is a color that rhymes bed and a body part which rhymes with heck. :flipoff2:

Your answer can only be Yes! And it would be even sweeter if some vertical braces can be incorporated in the design.

Met with Bent Motorsport and have a day to take measurements. Will discuss all concerns and try to stay true to solid support and protection, not too heavy and make it user friendly for all models and years.

If we were going with a cross member replacement than it would need to be 3/8" But looking at just a bolt on with bracing it would be fine at 1/4". Unless you want to belly flop off as over pass onto a Prius.

More clarity needed for the challenged. Pictures;)
Does the design add to the existing cross member?
Does the design protect the tcase only or is it full width?

FWIW I have the slee belly
What i dont like -
Its a full belly and its not needed IMO as the sides see lots of contact
Makes draining trans very difficult. I use an dip stick vacuum to drain.
3/16" steel construction makes for bending when contacted.

What I do like -
Offers the highest transfer case clearance of any skidplate offered today

The best overall design out is Iron Pig IMO but the price and shipping does not work for me. Im awaiting for Iron Pig to offer its once a year shipping deal unless a better design comes along

@Cruiser Bauers and I spent the morning at Bent Motorsports today going over the design. So far it is going as planned. The template was drawn up. Just waiting on the parts to be cut up now and we will hopefully be able to mock up in a couple of days. Thanks again to Dave for being so accommodating to our wishes.

Got a call back from the Bent Motorsports guys and going to a first fitting this coming Friday. From there we should have a lot more info on final cost and such.

So the test fitting happened today. They used the flat pieces that were laser cut for the project but used mild steel for mocking up the supports. The final parts and such are getting figured out but shooting to keep the prices down. The supports will be at least .120 wall dom steel. So without further talking here are the pictures of the plates in mock up.

Front

20180316_095439.jpg

20180316_103306.jpg

20180316_103420.jpg

Rear

20180316_143545.jpg

20180316_144913.jpg

20180316_145220.jpg

Once they are fully set on cuts for steel the bolt heads will have their armor as well and hardware for complete easy install. More to come soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom