Skid plate effect on center of gravity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A question for the engineers and such out there--

What effect do skid plates have on center of gravity? I'm shopping for skids right now and trying to decide on material. Since I'm a little top-heavy, I'm wondering if steel skids could help balance out some roof items better than aluminum skids.

Adding weight below the current center of gravity will lower the CG.

To offset the RTT, the weight of the skids times the distance from the CG would have to equal the weight of the RTT times it’s distance from the CG.

As the Skids will be closer to the current CG than the RTT, the skids will have to weigh more than all the stuff you put on the roof by a fair amount

The thing is that while in theory you could lower the CG, you are also adding total weight. If you hit the tipping point you will roll harder and it will go to hell faster.

Practically speaking, the amount you can practically lower the CG with skids is not very much (with normal skids) and on a trail lots of things can happen to suddenly be in a tippy situation where IMO total weight is more the enemy.

A question for the engineers and such out there--

What effect do skid plates have on center of gravity? I'm shopping for skids right now and trying to decide on material. Since I'm a little top-heavy, I'm wondering if steel skids could help balance out some roof items better than aluminum skids.
It will make zero noticeable difference. I would chose steel over aluminum if you plan to use the car in a manner in which you may actually need the protection of skid plates often. I would only use aluminum as a one time event type of protection or just for looks if you're into those kind of visual upgrades. Aluminum would be fine if you were only off-roading in the sand where the contact area is likely spread out over a larger surface area. If you wheel in rocks where there is possibility of point loading, steel will outperform aluminum by far assuming thicknesses are basically the same.

Full aluminum skids will weigh ~80-100lbs vs ~160-200lbs steel. (front, engine, transmission, transfer, and gas tank) (2.5lbs for rear lower control arms skids :D)

Steel weighs 3 times as much as aluminum, but most steel skids are usually 3/16" thick vs 1/4" aluminum. So it usually is about twice as heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom