Skid Plate/ Crossmember (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd post up a few 100 series pics of moab and the new skid plate/cross member.

What do you guys think? We're talking about stamping some out. Anyone interested?

DSCN0651a.JPG

Dsc00487.jpg

Dsc00489.jpg
DSCN0651a.JPG
Dsc00487.jpg
Dsc00489.jpg

Few more

Dsc00490.jpg

Dsc00493.jpg

DSCN0720a.JPG

Details is you loose your factory crossmember and this takes its place. You do have to drill two holes in the frame for the back holes. I fished nuts onto the backside, but you could also do a nutzert. Whole thing is 3/16. I beat the crap
out of this thing in moab and it didn't move. Still have a couple of little tweaks but not much. If there is some interest I will make more if not I won't worry about it.
Dsc00490.jpg
Dsc00493.jpg
DSCN0720a.JPG

Might be interested. Price?

Looks good, but to OZ might be a bit rich!!!!

Looks good. Does your design afford any additional ground clearence compared to the stock cross member? Is it as rigid a support for tranny/t-case as the OEM crossmember? Can you drain/fill t-case without removing? Price?

too thick for dimples?

Any additional vibrations?

I'm very, very interested BTW.

Any plans for protection between the front skid and the new cross member?

I'm also very interested and ditto Calmaridog's questions. Great idea, by the way.

I saw these skidplates in person..awesome design, gets rid of that wimpy crossmember..covers every major component in the front area currently covered by that fiberglass skid thing Toyota gave the 100.../

I would be interested...thanks Ben..

Might be interested. Price?

Still working out a few last things, not sure about final price yet. Probably going to be around $500.

Looks good. Does your design afford any additional ground clearence compared to the stock cross member? Is it as rigid a support for tranny/t-case as the OEM crossmember? Can you drain/fill t-case without removing? Price?

I don't think there is any additional ground clearance. You do have the confidence of knowing that you can whack it on anything and not have to worry about bending anything.

It's probably at least twice as rigid as the stock crossmember. The stock on is roughly 11 gauge steel. This is 3/16 plate.

You can fill and drain the t-case without taking if off. A guide (cut up coolant bottle) will help direct the fluid in the right direction instead of all over the crossmember.

Rough price estimate is in above post. We will know more as we finalize the design.

Any additional vibrations?

I'm very, very interested BTW.

Any plans for protection between the front skid and the new cross member?

No additional vibrations. Same as stock crossmember. Probably similar to the little cleat you took off the frame a long time ago. Might be a vibration but extremely hard to notice unless you tune into it. I have not noticed one yet.

Next one to work on is the front one that covers the oil filter. Mine looks like a giant bowl, need to beef that one up next. Then probably something to tie the two together.

Nice design Ben, it looks plenty stout enough to get the job done.

I`d be interested in a copy if the price was more in the $300 range though.

I cant wait to see the front section you build, the 100`s can surely use plenty of extra protection up there... keep up the good work !

Lee

For What?:confused: :confused:

dimples where the holes are...

but it's too thick. You'd need well over a 20 tons press for 3/16" (edited) I would think. Could make it thinner though and be as strong with dimples.

Last edited:
I'm definitely interested. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

I'd also like to see a skidplate for the gas tank.

dimples where the holes are...

but it's too thick. You'd need well over a 20 tons press for 3/8" I would think. Could make it thinner though and be as strong with dimples.

FYI: He stated it was constructed from 3/16" plate...

ooops, yes, 3/16, typo, thanks

Ben,
After seeing the pictures of you wheeling in Moab I understand your interest in fabing up some underside protection. That was some serious proto type testing. Put some of those pictures in the "Wild Wheeling" thread.

Current price estimate is a bit steep for me, but where else are we going to find this type of product for our 100s? Maybe if enough forum members sign on, cost could be brought down. Keep us updated and thanks.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom