Skid plate compatibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I put a fj40 4 speed where my old 3 speed tranny was, and now my skidplate doesn't fit. I knew that would be the case, but does anybody know if a standard 4 speed skid plate will bolt up to my frame and fit properly? Or is there some obvious solution I'm not seeing? Either way I don't mind drilling a few holes in any skid plate, I just don't feel like drilling holes in my frame...

Thanks

I'm not sure how many versions of the factory skidplate there are but I've got three of them, all different, and none of them fit my modified .65. It's got both a 4 speed and a header in the truck and both prevented the original and a '76 from fitting. I ended up cutting the original to work around the interferences and adding a plate of 1" aluminum bolted under the transfercase which was the lowest point between axles.

I put a 72 frame on my 74 FJ40 and the 74 skid plate fit if I moved it back one hole on the bolts. All the holes lined up with drain plugs and it fit fine. That should be the same as yours, 4 speed in a frame that was made for a 3 speed. I did have to cut it for the headers.

Kevin

I ran into the same problem when I put a 4 speed into my 72 FJ40. I ended up bending the front lip of the skid plate down and welding an extension under the xfer case / parking brake drum.

I bought a 4 speed skid plate but it doesn't seem to fit right, the shape is very different and it's much thinner gauge steel than my 72 plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom