Wire sizing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm doing some rearranging of the main power at the batter while I'm replacing my alternator. The conversion never got cleaned up and I had no protection at the battery. I'm putting one of those 100 amp Bussmann breakers in the two circuits that goes to the cab - one is the original harness and the other is the computer and post conversion equipment. The headlights, ARB compressor, and starter all have their own leads from the power distribution box. My question is, what size cable should I run from the distribution box to the Bussmann breaker? It's supplying both the orignal and post conversion circuits, but there's not much there. ECM, radio, heater, interior lights... Doesn't seem like much. But it must be supplying the coils as well.

Peter

I'm doing some rearranging of the main power at the batter while I'm replacing my alternator. The conversion never got cleaned up and I had no protection at the battery. I'm putting one of those 100 amp Bussmann breakers in the two circuits that goes to the cab - one is the original harness and the other is the computer and post conversion equipment. The headlights, ARB compressor, and starter all have their own leads from the power distribution box. My question is, what size cable should I run from the distribution box to the Bussmann breaker? It's supplying both the orignal and post conversion circuits, but there's not much there. ECM, radio, heater, interior lights... Doesn't seem like much. But it must be supplying the coils as well.

Peter
10 gage?

@73FJ40 is correct...

100amp is pretty big for your standard FJ40.

I have two breakers, one 30amp and one 40amp.

If you use a 100amp breaker to protect a circuit that carries less than 100amps, you are wasting your money and not protecting anything.

I have noticed that local auto parts carry only 50 & 100amp... but, you can easily buy smaller amperage breakers online.

Following standard design, you must first determine what is on the circuit and its rush current and full load current. Then, the correct breaker can be sourced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom